Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay we have a new puppy it is the first time my boyfriend has ever owned a dog and it is my first time having to actually think of what to buy for her to eat to be healthy.

Laila lays farts that can clear a room in seconds. From her face it seems like she doesn't even realize it is her that causes everyone to walk away. We take her outside immediately but she never needs to go potty.

She was a rescue puppy we believe her to be a Boxer/Lab. We also believe she was originally on Pedigree type food. When we got her, we put her on Ultra Dog Food but that made her VERY Stinky. So we changed her food to Natural Choice but then her skin was extremely itchy and still pretty gassy.
My brother recommended AvoDerm so she is currently on that and is almost as bad as when we first got her.

When the food is changed we gradually mix it in so it is not a drastic change. Also, since she has been on the AvoDerm we have been giving her 1.5 Gas B Gone tablets every day which we later moved up to 2 a day.

She is not getting any better, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Has she been de-wormed and all that? Is her poop firm and generally healthy-looking (for poop, lol)?

For the food, I'd avoid corn, wheat, and soy (plant matter digests slower so has more time to ferment in there. . .phew!). What stores do you have available? Is there a Tractor Supply in the area? Any small privately-owned feed stores? What's your price range?

No matter what food you settle on, I recommend a probiotic. You can get one for humans, they're usually cheaper and more potent. But they do sell some specifically for pets if you prefer, though. You can also put some plain yogurt in her food, but a probiotic pill is stronger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I live in a very ubran area no tractor or feed stores around that I know of. Price range no more than $60 for 30lbs of food.

And I think I'll try the pro-biotics I have some already anyway we can see if that helps her any. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, you'd be surprised where they have Tractor Supply stores, LOL. And urban areas should have plenty of specialty pet food stores. So you probably have a lot of options. . .grab a phone book and check out the "pet food and supplies" section. If you find a good specialty pet food store, ask the employees for suggestions. They're usually pretty helpful.

Probiotics have always worked for my dogs, for tummy troubles and gas. So hopefully things will be less stinky at your house soon!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Probiotics sound like a good place to start. Also, there are a lot of foods that can be ordered on line and delivered for about $45-$50 for a 30lb bag. I would see if you can find a grain-free alternative to what you are currently feeding. Some dogs do better on regular off-the-shelf foods, others need grain free options or a seafood based diet. Mine do well on venison or lamb based foods, with rice. If you can't find a good option at the tractor store, see what you can find on-line. Many manufacturers offer coupons and some sites offer free shipping. I would even bet (though I never tried) that if you called customer service departments at various manufacturers and explained you are in a rural area and are shopping for good food options, they might be willing to ship samples.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hamish used to sniff and walk away looking at us very accusingly, so when we lived in England we gave him charcoal bones that seemed to help however we've had real problems finding them anywhere in North America.
There was also a food called James Wellbeloved that was quite popular and notorious for causing gas - I met someone who worked at a kennels where they used it :evil:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Great advice has already been given. My advice is to check the protein - if it's the same thing (like chicken, for example) with everything you've tried to feed than that could be the culprit.

When my dobe came to me he was on ProPlan (chicken) and was quite gassy.
I wasn't a ProPlan fan anyways so I switched him to Chicken Soup (also chicken) and he was gassy on that too (also had soft stools).
I switched him to Fromm Gold (duck) and the horrible gas disappeared.
I've since switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct and every month I change the protein source. First it was duck and venison, then it was beef, and then I switched to chicken and on the chicken he is SO gassy - something that wasn't a problem with the other proteins.

I'm not saying that this is the reason but it could be something to consider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts