Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I see this all day long. I have Sadie at work with me, and because she's small and fluffy everyone wants to pet her, especially kids. It makes me so happy when the parents stop the kids and ask first. But most of them just run up and grab her, and maybe 75% of the parents just watch as their kid grabs my dog's face.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I dont have children. But I think that is stupid to do. I have had parents let there toddlers run up to Blaze and hug him out of the blue, I didnt even see them coming, nore did Blaze. he is so bomb proof with children, not overly friendly in the manner of licking them, jumping ect. But will stand as still as possible with them and just let them love on hi,. But to let a child or just drag a child up to a dog is stupid. Even with a dog I fully trust with chldren, he has still not been raised with them, and I would still take every precation.

we were in Toronto the other day at a huge outdoor festival, 1000's of people, dogs, lots of noice, boats (we were on the harbour front) clowns, bikes ect ect. Some morons just let their kids run right up to Blaze. I was thrilled when one dad came up, with out his child talked to me, asked if Blaze was friendly, petted him and talked to him, noticed he was friendly, asked if his son could meet him. I said sure. He son was about 3, never touched a dog in his life and was scared says his father. I taught him how to approch slowly and hold out his hand. this kid fell head over heals in love, couldnt stop petting blaze. And talking to him. I was so happy to meet a smart adult who first approched me, with out child, asked about Blaze, and then asked if his son may meet him. His son even went and asked his mom if he could have him, and got his picture taken hugging blaze lol They hung out with us for about 15mins. that little boy is lucky to grow up with a smart father who knows to ask first and is teaching his son well.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Blaze is one gorgeous dog, I can understand people wanting to get a closer look, That can not be a BYB or rescue dog. $$$$ = limited Edition!

Will tell you, (Elana) about my special fly, My cat used to come up to me and I would brush her, and get some of her hair for my best Wet/Fly Pattern, top secret blue ribbon fly! :D

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Elana I totally agree with you. That sounds very strange. Honestly it's probably the opposite reaction than you usually get, with a GSD I'd be willing to bet most people shove their strollers out of your way to evade the big scary wolf :rolleyes:

In any case, extremes are no good with dogs.. and pretty sad that in this case, it was the parent acting recklessly instead of a kid who didn't know any better.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have always been a "look but don't touch w/o permission" kind of parent. I also prefer my children do not touch strange dogs no matter who owns them. Mainly because I don't know where the dog has been or if the owner takes proper care of their dogs and... besides, dogs lick their butts :p.

Yup, I would be put off with this father. Ilya has been approached many times and he has been called "Demon" many times by little kids or they run away crying "WOLF". :rolleyes:

The kissy sound would annoy me just as strangers telling my dog to 'sit' or 'shake hands'

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Blaze is one gorgeous dog, I can understand people wanting to get a closer look, That can not be a BYB or rescue dog. $$$$ = limited Edition!
Thanks I think he is good looking. but the BYB rescue thing and money LE is over my head, dont get what you mean lol. If you mean he is not a BYB or rescue dog, he is a petstore dog, so more then likley a puppy mill dog.
The kissy sound would annoy me just as strangers telling my dog to 'sit' or 'shake hands'
That annoys me too. That same day that I spoke f earlier. I was in line at one of the street meat booths getting a hot dog. A dad behind me was talking to his daughter then I over heard him and wanted to smack him "Here honey take your ballon and bark at the dog ahead of us. Speaking about Blaze) I made him just sit and look ahead. I could hear her barking, but I just knew I wouldnt beable to speak politley to him and tell him off infront of a line up of literally 30+ people. some people are just so dumb.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I'm with you on that one - especially since my dog will do anything for a treat, including shaking hands, which makes her nervous, and then she starts barking and growling...

If you want to give my dog a treat, that's fine.. but please no training sessions, I can do that myself..

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The guy was an idiot. The term "common sense" cracks me up - since it's lacking in so many people (maybe not so *common*)!

I would never risk a child of any age with an unknown dog and handler. I adore children, however, common sense tells me that not all children can be trusted to interact appropriately with dogs, and I don't want them mauling/poking/pinching, or otherwise abusing my dogs! So I steer clear of them! lol People of all ages just can't keep their hands off my dogs, and they all bat, bat, bat them on the head (topknots - they're Poodles), saying stupid things like, "are you sure they're Poodles? I didn't know they got that big." No, they're Dobermans, in drag. :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The guy was an idiot. The term "common sense" cracks me up - since it's lacking in so many people (maybe not so *common*)!

I think it's becoming rarer everyday. The stupidity levels humans can reach has stopped surprising me.
I would never risk a child of any age with an unknown dog and handler. I adore children, however, common sense tells me that not all children can be trusted to interact appropriately with dogs, and I don't want them mauling/poking/pinching, or otherwise abusing my dogs! So I steer clear of them! lol People of all ages just can't keep their hands off my dogs, and they all bat, bat, bat them on the head (topknots - they're Poodles), saying stupid things like, "are you sure they're Poodles? I didn't know they got that big." No, they're Dobermans, in drag. :D

ROFL on the Dobies in drag. I'll allow people to pet my dogs with permission and will step in and stop or correct them (especially children but also teens and adults) if they show they don't know how to approach/pet a dog they don't know. I've had mostly rough collies and they seem to be a magnet for people for some strange reason :p

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks all... Yeah.. I figured the guy was just plain stupid. The fact that he actually apologized for the kissing noise and then kept doing it made me wonder about a lot of things.

When I walk Atka on city streets kids will bark at her and make remarks and I just clam up and keep walking. If the questions are made in a polite manner with curiosity, I will sometimes stop and talk to them. Often the questions are SA in both tone and attitude.. in which case I just keep moving. I like the fact that my dog loves children as I think it is important for this breed to be seen in that light. I personally don't much care for children but I am not unfriendly to them. I have met a few that were delightful.

I have been referring to "commone sense" as "uncommon sense" of late. Few have it.. it is getting to be quite rare.

I wondered about the dog licking the kids faces too. I know where that nose has been.. and for that reason I don't let her lick MY face. Fact is, she tries to lick the Cats faces and they know where that nose has been too.... :p

BTW BobSD.. my last GSD contributed to my wet flies. Cat hair is less boyant so probably works better. Besides, I like the idea of a cat helping with the fishing. Seems a natural to me.. :D

BTW Poodleholic.. I just LOVE your Dobies in Drag. I am a big fan of poodles. They are awesome dogs.. nothing they cannot learn to do.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.