Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something happen today that leaves me with a "Would you do this with Your Kid" question.

I don't have kids. Never wanted to have kids. Looked too much like work so I had a dairy farm instead. :D I know a lot about cows but nothing much about children and parents etc.

Today I went to a Big Flea Market with Atka. She loves people and she loves the flea market because she has discovered we can get things there and take them HOME (I have not explained to her the money transfer thing yet).

At the Flea market there are all kinds of folks.. and their kids. I have my dog and I am perusing the stuff and I keep hearing this kissing noise. Atka is ignoring it and finally I look around and there is this guy.. I am guessing in his 30's with a baby stroller and he is looking at me dog making these kissing sounds. He sees me turn and says he is sorry but he LOVES German Shepherds and comments on how beautiful my dog is and asks if she is friendly. I say yes and she comes over and pets her and I keep her in a sit. He asks if she likes kids and I again say yes.. whereupon he grabs the stroller and pushes it in Atka's face (Atka stayed in her sit). In the stroller is a very young child.. I am guessing at this point under 1 year old. Atka responds to this very nicely by licking the kids hands, feet and then face. The Father (I assume the Father) asks the age of Atka (2 yrs) and says his baby is 10 months old.

I was not concerned that Atka would do anything. She loves kids and I am very vigilant to be sure the toddlers and children don't suddenly do something mean (kids will sometimes.. especially toddlers who just don't know better). No bad experiences has left her very gentle and good with children.

My question is for you parents out there in Dog Forum land..

What do you think of the Father's actions? Would you have pushed a stroller with a 10 month old baby in it up to a German Shepherd Dog (or ANY dog) you don't know, even if the owner said the dog liked children? Would you have wanted/allowed this dog you don't know to lick your baby's face?

Personally I was put off by this guy and his shoving the stroller in my dog's face (w/o asking BTW.. just doing it unexpectadly off the cuff). I was not really worried about my dog's reaction as she is very good and she is trained to be good. I would never bring an untrustworthy dog to a thing like this in the first place.. doing so might cause dogs to be banned and dogs sure don't need any more bad press.

I moved on and all through the flea market I kept hearing this guy making kissing noises at my dog. :rolleyes: Atka ignored him (she was looking at stuff with me LOL) and I cued off her and ignored him as well.

Later, other children approached my dog after their parents asked and she was a Very Good dog. For one toddler I put her in a lie down so she was lower than the child and the child was not frightened and petted Atka nicely with the Mother telling her how to be nice to the Big Doggy. That sort of thing is fine. Permission asked and granted and a vigilant parent.

I dunno.. I never had kids but I sort of think a 10 month old baby being shoved in the face of a strange dog is idiocy... no matter what the dog's owner says. What do y'all say?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My question is for you parents out there in Dog Forum land..

What do you think of the Father's actions? Would you have pushed a stroller with a 10 month old baby in it up to a German Shepherd Dog (or ANY dog) you don't know, even if the owner said the dog liked children? Would you have wanted/allowed this dog you don't know to lick your baby's face?

Personally I was put off by this guy and his shoving the stroller in my dog's face (w/o asking BTW.. just doing it unexpectadly off the cuff). I was not really worried about my dog's reaction as she is very good and she is trained to be good. I would never bring an untrustworthy dog to a thing like this in the first place.. doing so might cause dogs to be banned and dogs sure don't need any more bad press.

I dunno.. I never had kids but I sort of think a 10 month old baby being shoved in the face of a strange dog is idiocy... no matter what the dog's owner says. What do y'all say?
Personally, I agree with you Elana.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Not a chance. Especially not knowing the dog at all. How do you know, even if the owner says the dog is kid friendly, that it has ever seen a stroller? The motion of it being shoved at the dogs face could cause all sorts of reactions.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It amazes me how many idiots there are in this world. :rolleyes: what if he'd run over a dogs foot in the process and the dog snapped in pain? What's closest to snap at then, the kids face?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Now that I think about it, I have that dumb guy beat. My boyfriend's moron brother took his 3 month old baby, snuck up behind Smalls, and tried to place her on Smalls back, like she was a horse. Smalls snapped at his leg (my boyfriend's brother, not the baby, who was actually at her face level when she turned) and then ran like hell the second she could. He then complained about my dog being dangerous and wanted her taken to the pound.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
There is, at best, a 50/50 chance that the owner has any clue how his/her dog will react to anything. It'd be a cold day in hell if I ever did that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not a parent, never plan to be. But I do have a 1.5 year old niece and a 3 in a half month old nephew. I would NEVER do that to a dog I didn't know with them...Even a dog I did know...I would hold them in my arms and let the dog sniff them, but with my right there, in between them.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Atka has seen strollers up close and personal several times but I am glad to see I am not alone in thinking the guy was an idiot. I have worked very hard to have a good dog and it pays off.

What I find sad is the this guy procreated.....

I keep hoping I have met all the idiots there are.. because I sure have met a lot of them.. but they keep popping up just like in that Whakamole game.

To ThoseWordsAtBest there was a tourist years ago who had a 4 year old at Yellowstone park. The Buffalo there are not tame but are not afraid of humans. This idiot put his 4 year old on thre back of the buffalo to take his photo. Sadly the Buffalo took offense at the action and whirled and stomped the 4 year old into the ground, killing him. Soon after that, the buffalo also paid for this stupidity with his life.

Meanwhile the Father continued on.. and wasn't jailed or neutered. I am sure he was traumatized but geeze loueeze what an idiot....

This from a first hand account from someone who worked at the Yellowstond Lake Hotel as a college kid.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
To ThoseWordsAtBest there was a tourist years ago who had a 4 year old at Yellowstone park. The Buffalo there are not tame but are not afraid of humans. This idiot put his 4 year old on thre back of the buffalo to take his photo. Sadly the Buffalo took offense at the action and whirled and stomped the 4 year old into the ground, killing him. Soon after that, the buffalo also paid for this stupidity with his life.

Meanwhile the Father continued on.. and wasn't jailed or neutered. I am sure he was traumatized but geeze loueeze what an idiot....

This from a first hand account from someone who worked at the Yellowstond Lake Hotel as a college kid.
:eek: I don't even have words for how stupid that is.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Personally, I agree with you Elana.
i have 5 children and i dont trust others peoples dogs...if the person approaches with a dog pulling them i tend to move off the sidewalk...but if the dogs well behaved and the ownwers walking the dog they usually stop and let us pass sometimes they say your children can pet him/her

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
:eek: I don't even have words for how stupid that is.
I've heard similar stories to that. One victim explained afterwards that they went up to the buffalo/elk (I forget which) because they thought the animals were supposed to be tame.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I've heard similar stories to that. One victim explained afterwards that they went up to the buffalo/elk (I forget which) because they thought the animals were supposed to be tame.
That is so stupid, it's not even laughable. I don't know what went wrong in their heads, but I wouldn't even approach a squirrel. Wild animals are wild animals!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
i have 5 children and i dont trust others peoples dogs...if the person approaches with a dog pulling them i tend to move off the sidewalk...but if the dogs well behaved and the ownwers walking the dog they usually stop and let us pass sometimes they say your children can pet him/her
I have 4 kids of my own and a dayhome :) What you do is pretty much what I do.

I used to live right outside Jasper National Park and have seen some pretty stupid things. I've seen people who stop at the side of a highway to get out to go and try to pet a moose. I've seen people try to go up to wild bears and elk.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems that a lot of people out there are not animal savvy. It used to be everyone grew up on a farm or was a farmer.. Now it seems people are so insulated from animals that they do some of the most iciotic things.. with DOMESTIC animals. Like this guy today who put his baby's face in harms way like a dog is a stuffed toy, not a living breathing carnivore with TEETH...

And they watch TV shows where the animals talk and thing all animals are like that.. and then transfer the same stupidity to wild animals.

The rules at National parks and the Vigilance has been upped a LOT since I first was there in 1984. My last trip to Glacier, the Tetons and Yellowstone there were rangers who made sure the people and the animals stayed separated. They did not hesitate to ticket and toss out offenders.

BTW that included approaching squirrels.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i would have no issues of the dog kissing my childs face/legs/hands but i would NOT, in a million yrs, just push my babies stroller up to the dog...it'd be more along the lines of "does your dog like babies?" "yeah, she's great w/ them.." "could the baby see her up close?" "yeah, sure" pick child up and hold child while dog leaned forward...."no, i'd prefer not" "ok, no problem"....i had a GSD that was a baby fanatic and my Lacey-girl was also....whenever they saw a baby, they would make a b-line for it....i'd ask the parent if the dog could see the baby (assuring them that they were excellent w/ them, holding the dog calm, and not allowing any kisses) and they were happy.....any other child was no big deal, but a baby they just had to sniff, even if it was just a leg:rolleyes:....

but, i agree that that was a totally stupid thing to do....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well Elana, Just saw your post and with much excitement, and anticipation to respond to your post!!!!!!!!!!!
But first like always I kinda change the subject and I am really sorry for that I do it often and My apologies to all.

"Its always greener on the other side of the hill? Until you reach the other side of the hill and look back and see your side was greener. The moral of the story is, all that walking for nothing:D

Now the "kissing man", I never had rug rats either, and I do miss not having them, but all the toys I have, and would not if I had those pricy little people. So I got my dogs kids, but I would have loved to teach them how to hunt, fish, operate a large boats, how to fly tie, how to repect yourself and respect others that deseve, I can go on and on, but my dogs are not interested in that. So now back to the "Kissing Dad".

Sometimes people get caught up in a situation and do not realize how idiotic they look unless they were filmed and then they would say, "Is that ME?" :D HTH???? At least the kid had his face cleaned! You should have charged for the wash.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
For me it depends on the dog,there are dogs i just know that were born to lick babies faces ;)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Elana, Just saw your post and with much excitement, and anticipation to respond to your post!!!!!!!!!!!
But first like always I kinda change the subject and I am really sorry for that I do it often and My apologies to all.

"Its always greener on the other side of the hill? Until you reach the other side of the hill and look back and see your side was greener. The moral of the story is, all that walking for nothing:D .
It is a line from a song from an Album my sister had.. New Christy Minstrels (also sung by Harry Belefonte and also by the Limelighters) for all you old folks...

'I was born a drifter
I guess I always will
Oh tell, is it greener
On the far side of the hill

Oh look up yonder
Its all earth and green and sky
I bet we could be up yonder
In the pattern of an eye
And further west's an ocean
A miner told me so,
And the sun it shines so brightly
Well it scares off winter snow..'

When I get traveling the horizon calls me. I am willing to bet that a day might come when I start to check out the horizon and I just keep on checking it. It is why I love the plains and the west. All that far seeing and the edge just calls me.

I stopped saying this to my family as they think me a bit daft... :rolleyes:

Now the "kissing man", I never had rug rats either, and I do miss not having them, but all the toys I have, and would not if I had those pricy little people. So I got my dogs kids, but I would have loved to teach them how to hunt, fish, operate a large boats, how to fly tie, how to repect yourself and respect others that deseve, I can go on and on, but my dogs are not interested in that. So now back to the "Kissing Dad".

Sometimes people get caught up in a situation and do not realize how idiotic they look unless they were filmed and then they would say, "Is that ME?" :D HTH???? At least the kid had his face cleaned! You should have charged for the wash.
OK. Now you have REALLY stepped in it. First of all you Live in SD, you love dogs, tolerate cats, you tell me you have a boat and now I learn you TIE FLIES.

I have a Great Little Vice with two sets of jaws and I tie flies and use barbless hooks or squeeze the barb down. PM me and I will give you the universal fly pattern and if the fish don't take it dry you fish it wet at the tail of the pool and will get something that way. If you get no fish with this pattern, my next suggestion is to chuck rocks at them or take out a stick of TNT.....

I have never had to resort to rocks or TNT fishing this pattern(here in the east.. those western Cut Throats might be persnickety about it. :D

I lament so little time for fishing. Dutifully got my license tho and I am not far from the Famous Beaverkill (tho the Willowemoc is more productive).

I have seen people make sillies of themselves with animals (I personally have never done this.. and I am selling a Bridge in Brooklyn). This guy was beyond silly and into the realm of "What are you smoking because I don't want to ever try it..."

I think what really surprised me was his seeming lack of common sense when it came to the safety of his baby.

Inga has Rotties and I think her dogs do a lot of work with kids. I wonder what she would say? Again.. my dog considered it all an honor tho she was a little taken aback when the stroller got in so close so fast.. but it was quickly forgoteen when she was presented with a baby to kiss.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I
I think what really surprised me was his seeming lack of common sense when it came to the safety of his baby.
Or maybe he just trusted you and Atka 100%,if i did i'd let her lick my kid till her heart was content,my kid loves dogs just like me,granted she isnt at pram (stroller) stage anymore but if i met you and i *knew* Atka was a loving dog,i'd have no problem with her showing some love.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or maybe he just trusted you and Akta 100%,if i did i'd let he lick my kid till her heart was content,my kid loves dogs just like me,granted she isnt at pram (stroller) stage anymore but if i met you and i *knew* Atka was a loving dog,i'd have no problem with her showing some love.
I did not know this guy at all. Never saw him b4. I got the impression he was up for Holiday from NYC.

How could he "know" anything about a dog who had been there for all of 5 minutes when all this happened? I was at the first table and had just arrived.. so it was not like he was spending time observing?

Even tho we only know each other on the 'net Mr. Pooch YOU know me better than that guy did or does.... ;)

No matter. Atka behaved like a Princess and made sure to taste test all children who came over to her.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts