Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current foster dog is on a food I'm not fond of. Ingredients aside, he has constant bad gas (and he always looks at his butt as if he's still surprised), poops huge mushy poops at least 4x a day, his eyes are runny, his skin is dry, his fur isn't very soft, typical low-quality kibble issues. It's tough to even get him to eat. I put the bowl down and he looks at it, then looks at me, then walks away. He comes back, nibbles, then walks away again. Again and again until he's finally eaten about half of what was offered. He rarely cleans his bowl. His owner, who is deployed overseas and will ultimately have the final word, has declined to have me switch him to raw which is what all my pets get.

So now I at least want to try for a better kibble in the price range of what he currently gets. It's $43 for 30 lbs. I'd like to stay at about that. Definitely nothing over $50 for ~30 lbs (I understand prices vary by location for many foods).

I want: No grain or rice, no byproducts, no corn, no soy, no BHA/BHT, no color or preservatives added.

Any recommendations for foods in that range?

I've been looking at BLUE™ Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Dog Food

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I was looking at that same food a week or so ago. It was on sale for under $50 at my local TSC.

I have been feeding Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato for a couple weeks now ... dogs are doing well on it so far. Only poo twice a day and small at that. I got 30 pounds for under $45 on sale at my local TSC. It does have some rice and grains though.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Grain free is expensive. I'd find a good quality grain-inclusive food in that price range. A lot of the good ones use healthy grains such as brown rice, barley, etc. rather than corn, wheat, and soy (not really a grain). Grain-free kibble is perfect for dogs with allergies, but if this dog doesn't need it, I'd compromise.

I pay $1.37/lb for a good grain-inclusive kibble. Coat and skin are perfect, poops are solid with no gas, and I'd be aghast if even one kibble was left behind after feeding.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Canidae would be a good one. Especially since they're no longer getting manufactured at diamond :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canidae would be great but I'm not sure I could convince the owner to pay that much. From what I've found it's about $60 for 30 lbs. I'll suggest it though. :) I like that it's lower on carbs than Blue.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sibe ,

Take a look at this : http://www.doggiefood.com/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural.html

Check online for coupon discount codes...

Buying 2 bags gets you free ship...

After 5/4/12 , I did a cold switch to this food without any problems.
I've bought 14 of the 28# bags bags this month trying to stay safe with some cushion.
My dogs like this kibble.
I am still looking for best fit/price/quality , but , this is top quality for now..IMO

oldhounddog

·
Banned
28 Posts
My current foster dog is on a food I'm not fond of. Ingredients aside, he has constant bad gas (and he always looks at his butt as if he's still surprised), poops huge mushy poops at least 4x a day, his eyes are runny, his skin is dry, his fur isn't very soft, typical low-quality kibble issues. It's tough to even get him to eat. I put the bowl down and he looks at it, then looks at me, then walks away. He comes back, nibbles, then walks away again. Again and again until he's finally eaten about half of what was offered. He rarely cleans his bowl. His owner, who is deployed overseas and will ultimately have the final word, has declined to have me switch him to raw which is what all my pets get.

So now I at least want to try for a better kibble in the price range of what he currently gets. It's $43 for 30 lbs. I'd like to stay at about that. Definitely nothing over $50 for ~30 lbs (I understand prices vary by location for many foods).

I want: No grain or rice, no byproducts, no corn, no soy, no BHA/BHT, no color or preservatives added.

Any recommendations for foods in that range?

I've been looking at BLUE™ Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Dog Food
You should do what is best for the animal and not for the human ego. I would agree on bha/bht but when you exclude other ingredients you show a lack of expertise in nutrition.

You should do what experienced dog people do when they are presented with the case you have, Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach and give up on the wolf fantasy.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free may fit your needs. It's $48 (at my local store) for 28lbs. The only thing I'm not sure about is the preservatives. Not sure what I'd be looking for, if it'd say plainly "preservatives" or if it's certain chemical names. The canola oil is preserved, but I don't know if that's what you mean. Here's the review/ingredients list on dog food advisor: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-grain-free/

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
4 Health Salmon and Potato at Tractor Supply is very reasonably priced. It's a Taste of the Wild generic, I believe.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The problem is, prices vary by location, so what is cheap for somebody like me in VA, may be very expensive for you in CA.

I second the 4 health suggestion, I understand people's concerns over the recall, but I would still feed it myself. If you have a TSC near you I would check out their prices, their food tends to be on the cheaper side anyways.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should do what is best for the animal and not for the human ego. I would agree on bha/bht but when you exclude other ingredients you show a lack of expertise in nutrition.

You should do what experienced dog people do when they are presented with the case you have, Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach and give up on the wolf fantasy.
Excuse my laughter.

oldhounddog and Dani, thanks!! Earthborn looks great. :D

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
For what you want I would look at Earthborn or ToTW (I'm not going to rehash the Diamond recall conversation, but if you're comfortable with it it will meet your needs).

4 Health Salmon and Potato at Tractor Supply is very reasonably priced. It's a Taste of the Wild generic, I believe.
This actually contains some grains-- barley and millet. It would probably still feed it in this situation though.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Also if you can find it in your area, Vet's Choice might be a good option. I would feed it if I could get it in my area in the big bags.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I've been feeding Earthborn Primitive Natural (grain free) with great success; where I am it is $49/ 28 lbs which lasts my 75 lbs dog about 6 weeks. It is turkey meal, chicken meal and whitefish meal. The fish is ethoxyquin free according to the company.

I'm trying out their Great Plains Feast for his next bag; it too is grain free and just slightly lower in fat and protein and uses bison meat only. It was $45 for 28 lbs.

I switched two fosters over to the Primitive Natural and both showed immediate improvement in their digestive systems (one was eating Purina and the other Pedigree before me) and the second foster was here long enough to also show a better coat, skin and gain some much needed weight.

Oh, and I will join you in your laughter :)

·
Registered
943 Posts

Please explain yourself, I'm really curious to know the facts here and why only experienced dog people would feed Purina? and WTF is a ' wolf fantasy ' ?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Please explain yourself, I'm really curious to know the facts here and why only experienced dog people would feed Purina? and WTF is a ' wolf fantasy ' ?
ive been reading his posts.... apparently he knows EVERYTHING about dog food and no one else knows anything....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's do what's best and ignore WalterDog.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I don't mind people having differing opinions from mine but WalterDog is so pushy and certain about his that he has to try and make the rest of us feel stupid... Good thing he's not succeeding!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Maybe some of the big box companies are starting to feel the effects of people becoming somewhat more aware of dog food and ingredients and what's good quality and what's poor quality and perhaps sales are beginning to suffer from this and maybe a desperate attempt to send some people on here to brainwash them or convince otherwise why these particular ingredients most people are beginning to frown upon are actually good for dogs. Cus, ya know, only experienced dog people would feed a food like Purina, and those that follow this so called wolf fantasy are just so incredibly stupid... lol :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts