Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going out of town for 10 days and have a 6 month old puppy. We are trying to find a reputable kennel, and are down to 2 choices. One is the vet where she will crated for 22 hours a day (they get 3 walks), the other is a place where a woman has 3 rooms she puts dogs of similar temperament in and they get the run of the room, then let outside to play in the yard.

I'm torn. The vet we know will be responsible, but crating a high energy puppy for 22 hours seems cruel. That said, we also don't necessarily want to get a half-feral puppy back after she's given free reign of a house for 1.5 weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts? Open to any and all as we are torn.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Vet. Dog won't die. It is 10 days not ten weeks.
Nothing wrong with this structured life for that 10 day duration of time. He will be happy to see you when you get back and he will be safe and well cared for while gone.

I would NEVER kennel a dog loose with other unknown dogs. Period.

Currently I have an 8 month old puppy that needed some structure and he has been getting crated only slightly less than that for a number of days (in spite of having a big 5X10 normal kennel indoors where there is heat and the same outdoors for nice days all when I am at work and at night). I think he will earn more freedom (like that indoor kennel) in about another month.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't think there is a wrong answer if both places are reputable. With the group housing option, I would want to know that someone is monitoring the dogs every second that they are together and that staff is trained in body language and humane de-escalation of any tension among dogs. I would want to see that each dog has the option of having their own space if they choose, and certainly when they sleep at night.

Otherwise, it's up to you! Some owners choose to slack the 'rules' a little bit so their dogs can have more fun. Some owners (like me) prioritize structure for the sake of maintaining training. Not to say my dog can't have fun, but that it's not the top priority. (But I prefer in-home sitters or for a sitter to come 3x a day, so that's me.)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
vet clinic - dog wont die... mmmm not necessary true.. vet clinics are busy places... easy to not check on a dog all day long and some clinics have people who come in and stay for the kennel dogs and some vet clinics leave the dogs unattended all night long with no one there.. That was an option when I was traveling in WY.. put into a crate for long periods of time.. I chose another bording facility that had connecting indoor with connecting outdoor kennel runs.. and also enclosed area off the outdoor kennel runs to let the individual dogs run around..

I wouldn't mind the lady that is there with the dogs all the time in her house.. especially if she is realistic to make changes when she see's a dog not fitting in with a group.. There has to be some structure and order in how she runs the place so it wont be just free willy for your pup, there has to be rules during his stay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts