Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lowes yesterday and purchased a backyard kennel. Even though I have a fenced in back yard,I wanted extra precauton if she got out. She climbed over the fence the other day,so I needed a way to contain her while I'm not around.The kennel I bought is 6' high,7'.5 wide,and 13' long. It's not real big,but not small either.I didn't want one to conatin the dog permently,just an hour or two.I wanted the 10'x 10'x6',but no way to haul it.I had to put together with help,fencing and all.I think it's plenty enough room for her,plus a dog house. She's a Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever mix.Takes after the Golden Retriever part in my opinion. She'll be either in the house or with me fishing this summer. Was this a wise choice? It looks plenty big enough and I had the dog in there and there was plenty of room. Not like a yard,but not like a crate either.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I went to Lowes yesterday and purchased a backyard kennel. Even though I have a fenced in back yard,I wanted extra precauton if she got out. She climbed over the fence the other day,so I needed a way to contain her while I'm not around.The kennel I bought is 6' high,7'.5 wide,and 13' long. It's not real big,but not small either.I didn't want one to conatin the dog permently,just an hour or two.I wanted the 10'x 10'x6',but no way to haul it.I had to put together with help,fencing and all.I think it's plenty enough room for her,plus a dog house. She's a Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever mix.Takes after the Golden Retriever part in my opinion. She'll be either in the house or with me fishing this summer. Was this a wise choice? It looks plenty big enough and I had the dog in there and there was plenty of room. Not like a yard,but not like a crate either.
It's definitely large enough for your purpose.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely large enough for your purpose.
Thank you,I'm glad you understand. I hate the idea of leaving her cooped up in the house,then praying that she wouldn't destroy it at the same time.At first I thought it wasn't going to be big enough.But after we got it put together I was relieved. The other one would've been so much easier,all the sides were together and all. But you do what you can.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Definitely big enough. If you find some of RonE's posts, you can see what he did with his backyard kennel----you can really trick it out so it's like doggy Disneyland :p !

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It sounds like a really nice size! Ours is built into our deck, so we were able to make it really large - 16' x 16' x 8' tall. It worked great when just Willow was using it, worked great when I had her and Yuki (BIG Malamute/wolf mix) in it, and it's working great now with her and Bandit. I think that for just one dog, the size you bought is perfect!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts