Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old puppy digs constantly when we are away in her kennel. I thought about putting flooring down. She has a KONG but it doesn't seem to help extremely well because I believe she losses interest. What can I do to help her stop digging everywhere. She digs in the middle of her kennel mostly. So I know she doesn't want to escape. Help!:doh:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Cattle mats! Cheap, tough, fun to dig on! I have a digger too. She would dig a hole through my bed if I let her.

It's like she gets high from it.

It's hard to stop because it's so funny and makes me laugh. I am sure I have made it worse. Still though, very, very funny.

I am going to build her a sandbox this spring.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Does she dig because she's anxious?

My dogs dig a LOT when they're trying to make themselves a comfortable spot. They even do it on our bed when there's nothing but a fitted sheet on it, and there's not a lot digging can do with that!
We just got lots of inexpensive fleece blankets, and they can dig away, to make things comfy.

Regardless, try to tire her out before putting her in the crate, take her on a walk, etc. And, we got our dogs a sandbox for the yard, too, so they had an appropriate outlet for their digging!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
doxiemommy's advice was better than mine.

A tired dog is a good dog and a nervous dog needs to have its concerns attended to. I just happen to live with a tireless goofball who digs for the sheer joy of it, so I skipped the more responsible and reasonable warnings! Mine will dig on a chair, on a couch, on a bed, on the carpet, in the dirt, in the sand, in water... She the diggin'est dog ever. We don't let her dig on the furniture and redirect her often. Too often. She is neurotic in 100 other ways as well. And she's awesome!

But, she really, really loved digging on cattle mats in her kennel and never did any real damage to one. That was a win/win for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts