Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody..I'm a forever time dog lover though a relative newbie to posting here. I've learned all sorts of stuff since coming to visit DF and still find myself lacking. Having dogs is definitely a life long learning experience:)

I'd like to get some opinions from people experienced with kennel cough as to the length and duration and infectious time periods.

Thankfully..my exposure to any types of viral or bacterial sickness has been pretty limited. Mind you..there has been enough of other stuff to fill in those gaps :rolleyes:

A little background on the reasons that I'm asking...friends debarked:D on a sun filled holiday and I am temporarily boarding one of their dogs. He is almost 14yrs old with epilepsy and is pretty creaky. He is littermate to my old girl who has her own problems but is still kicking:D

The other two of his doggily and much younger housemates were kept in a large scale kennel. While they were there they contracted a very nasty case of..I'm told..kennel cough..and it has taken the stuffing out of them. Both of the sickees have been on antibiotics for over a week and have barely started to eat again..let alone bark or run or be normal.

I was able to suggest that I keep the old guy here until it was safe for him to go home. My question is..when is it safe?? My vets office advised me that it would be around 3 days after the infected dogs symptoms disappeared. I guess that means the sneezing and general "snottiness" ends.

Do you think that is accurate? What sort of clean up would be necessary before re-introducing him to his crew? Since his health is already compromised..and we have already gone this far..I'd really hate to have him be exposed before it is safe for him.

Me..and MrT..will appreciate your comments..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I found a stray several yrs ago w/ a severe case of KC. If I remember, it was about a week or so to get over it.

I had another dog at home, and brought her to the vet to get the nasal vaccine against it, then waited a couple of days, and brought the stray home. No problems w/the other dog.

You can take the other dog to the vet and get the nasal vaccine to protect him, if you're worried. It's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Kennel Cough (Bordatella) is airborn and from what I heard is the only way it is transmitted.

I would bring the old guy to the vet and have them give him the nasal spray to prevent him from contracting Bordatella. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. After searching DF and other sources..I've learned of nasal spray vaccinations. Am still worried about introducing ANY type of virus with such fragile immune systems.

I suppose..life is life and if it gets to a point where a mild cold could finish you..then perhaps you might as well throw in the towel..

though not on my watch..if I can help it:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts