Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I am fairly new to fostering pups and took in a 10 pound, 8-year-old little Shih Tzu just last Friday. The director of the rescue had her in her care for about 4 days, in ISO, and didn't notice any signs of coughing but Bella was taken tot he vet where she was given medication for an infection in both ears, itchy skin due to food allergies (shelters clearly aren't equipped to feed dogs with allergies special foods), and updated on her shots. Bella was dropped off Friday afternoon and I noticed very distinct coughing as if something were lodged in her throat. I was able to record it, send it to the director, and it was determined that Bella likely had kennel cough. I have a 6-year-old 60 pound American Bulldog/Boxer mix who has always been in excellent health but Bella was able to roam rather freely, on our couches, we all slept in the same room the first night, and now I'm worried that Brando may get sick. We went to the vet last night (closed Sundays) and she was given medication for the upper respiratory infection and a cough suppressant. I currently have Bella in my bedroom with the door closed and Brando has free reign of the rest of my apartment. I'm new to ISO and aside from hearing her heartbreaking whimpering, I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, etc. We washed and disinfected everything on Sunday and I plan to disinfect all surfaces again after work today. I'm washing Brando's toys (Bella wasn't interested in playing with any of them but there were out in the open for two days with her) and washing my hands incessantly. I'm also worried that she's going to get more stressed from being kept in a bedroom away from everyone else.

Any advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated!

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't advise for your particular situation but can tell you my own experience. I did a lot of rescue fostering some years back (no longer in position to), and one time or another had probably half a dozen with kennel cough, ranging from mild cases (feel crummy a day or two with little or no appetite, start coughing after that which might last only a couple of days or maybe a week and might include bringing up foamy fluid) to one quite severe (feeling really crummy, not eating, starting with same symptoms as the others but getting worse day by day until had nasal discharge and deep, productive cough).

My own dogs did have exposure to the infected rescues. None of the fosters ever showed symptoms until they were already with me or the shelters wouldn't have released them. At least once I had a really sweet girl who wasn't eating, and I put it down to stress over being dumped, in shelter, and then to me and brought her in the house and crated her next to my bed. the cough didn't start for a couple of days, and that time, my dogs really had exposure.

Usually the fosters were in kennels until I'd had them a while, but I only have one yard, so all of them were in the yard at times different from my own dogs, which would mean exposure to anything coughed up, and one of the signs of k.c. is coughing up a foamy white stuff.

As to my own healthy, non-stressed dogs - they never contracted the kennel cough except one time when a couple of them (I had 3) did a little coughing for a couple of days (and that wasn't the time I had the girl incubating it sleeping by my bed). My dogs were not vaccinated for bordetella. So my experience brought me to believe while k.c. can be serious in stressed and minimally healthy dogs, it's not a terrible threat to happy, healthy ones with good immune systems.

In your shoes I'd certainly keep an eye out for symptoms in Brando and take vet's advice if a cough starts, but I wouldn't worry too terribly because exposure doesn't mean he'll contract it, and if he does contract it, odds are it will be a mild case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't advise for your particular situation but can tell you my own experience. I did a lot of rescue fostering some years back (no longer in position to), and one time or another had probably half a dozen with kennel cough, ranging from mild cases (feel crummy a day or two with little or no appetite, start coughing after that which might last only a couple of days or maybe a week and might include bringing up foamy fluid) to one quite severe (feeling really crummy, not eating, starting with same symptoms as the others but getting worse day by day until had nasal discharge and deep, productive cough).

My own dogs did have exposure to the infected rescues. None of the fosters ever showed symptoms until they were already with me or the shelters wouldn't have released them. At least once I had a really sweet girl who wasn't eating, and I put it down to stress over being dumped, in shelter, and then to me and brought her in the house and crated her next to my bed. the cough didn't start for a couple of days, and that time, my dogs really had exposure.

Usually the fosters were in kennels until I'd had them a while, but I only have one yard, so all of them were in the yard at times different from my own dogs, which would mean exposure to anything coughed up, and one of the signs of k.c. is coughing up a foamy white stuff.

As to my own healthy, non-stressed dogs - they never contracted the kennel cough except one time when a couple of them (I had 3) did a little coughing for a couple of days (and that wasn't the time I had the girl incubating it sleeping by my bed). My dogs were not vaccinated for bordetella. So my experience brought me to believe while k.c. can be serious in stressed and minimally healthy dogs, it's not a terrible threat to happy, healthy ones with good immune systems.

In your shoes I'd certainly keep an eye out for symptoms in Brando and take vet's advice if a cough starts, but I wouldn't worry too terribly because exposure doesn't mean he'll contract it, and if he does contract it, odds are it will be a mild case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your feedback, it does help. I feel terrible that Bella (the 10 lb Shih Tzu) is being kept in my bedroom while my always dog, Brando (60 lb guy who is in excellent health and as stress-free as they come) is in the rest of the apartment. I worry that keeping Bella in my bedroom will stress her out more and prevent her from getting better. She does have a very healthy appetite, goes potty wonderfully, and has the cutest little disposition. I'm new to the isolation thing and the last thing I want to do is cause more stress or confusion to her. Brando has also been to dog parks where it's likely he came into contact with a dog who had something contagious and he has never once caught whatever bug he may have been exposed to but I think I'm freaking out more because Brando is sharing space, albeit isolated, with Bella. I'll just keep my paranoid eye glued to the both of them and hope she continues to get better while Brando remains healthy and happy! Again, I appreciate your feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts