Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So, my dog occasionally gets runny poop. We feed pretty good dog food (Fromm chicken), and he usually has nice firm poop, but every few weeks he gets an episode. I still haven't been able to figure out what causes it. He's eat anything and everything, and we go to the dog park regularly, so it might be something he's eating...not sure.

Anyways, without really figuring out the cause of the occasional runny poop, I thought maybe I'd try to supplement his diet to see if it helps. I'm also reading a lot about probiotics and how even good kibble can't provide this.

So, I'm leaning towards using Vita Mega Probiotics.

I've also read some things about kelp, but it's mostly from companies selling the stuff. I trust the people on here more. Has anyone used kelp? Has it made a difference? Also, what kind of kelp? I found some cheap "kelp powder" on Amazon - will that do? Or do you feed actual seaweed - like dried kelp?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
329 Posts
...we go to the dog park regularly...
Are you deworming once per month? Your dog and the rest of your family is at a high risk for parasites. Routine deworming may help clear up occasional runny poop.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hadn't ever read that kelp helps runny poop.

Probiotics could help but just skipping a meal can help too. Runny poop often just means over indulgence.

Do a fecal before any worming. Max hasn't ever had worms and he is at dog parks all the time. Wormers are poison, only give them if you know there is a problem. We are at risk if we handle feces without washing hands, most of us know better than that! Pick up poop daily, keep runny stuff washed into the soil and wash hands often and worms and other parasites shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
From my friend who is a veterinarian.

"A recent study done in Calgary (2010) showed that we are doing better with our deworming, but that 5% of randomly tested dogs are still positive for Roundworm (750 tested). Deworming should be done 4 times yearly for low risk dogs and MONTHLY for high risk dogs (those that go to daycares/kennel/off leash parks, travel outside Alberta/Saskatchewan or that have regular contact with children under the age of 5)! A Maritime study done a few years ago showed that 17% of children tested positive for dog roundworm antibodies meaning they had ingested enough eggs from dog feces to elicit an antibody response!"

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i feed kelp to my dogs...and i start them with tiny little bits because kelp can cause loose stools until the dog is used to it.

probiotics are a waste of money because the dog's digestive system will destroy all the good before it ever has a chance to do good.

just my opinion.

as to the worming....i just disagree enough with that recent study. i wonder who funded it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts