Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It also takes human judgement I never personally known any older dogs to eat things like socks. The ones that would,would likely eat rocks and sticks as well.

I will do the greet on leash,because I have a dog that acts no differently on or off leash. If there's a dog he doesn't like he will fight it no matter what,and when there's a leash it is much easier and safer breaking up as fight. In fact didn't see a difference in my other two dogs as well. Make sure the leashes don't become tangled,and let the dogs sniff each other,don't let them just have a stare down on leash.
I don't like the weel barrow method with him,the only time I used it, was the only time I almost got bitten,I've even used the dreaded collar method more safely.

>If you tie up a dog make sure it had water,shelter and shade. Use a quality nylon collar,don't use tiny weak chains with powerful dogs,and make sure there is nothing the dog can leap over and get caught on.
>Never let animals loose on or near 4th of July or Halloween,they need extra supervision as well. Not all will run away but its not a good risk to take,I see signs for lost pets every year around then.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
>If you tie up a dog make sure it had water,shelter and shade. Use a quality nylon collar,don't use tiny weak chains with powerful dogs,and make sure there is nothing the dog can leap over and get caught on.
I agree but any dog on a tie out should be using a harness and be supervised. The harness prevents neck injuries. No leaving Fido tied out when you are at work, either. I know a lot of people do this in my area and we recently had a dog running around on a 4 lane road during rush hour brought into the store. She had a broken tie out clip on her collar. Her family was angry and confused when we called, thinking we had taken her off the chain. Turns out, they didn't even know she was missing. :/

During the summer, if your dogs MUST be outside dogs, please use flea, tick, and fly protection. Fly Strike on the ears is terribly common with this hot summer weather. I've seen too many dogs with fly bitten ears...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suggestions???

I love my dog so much, but sometimes she can be a real pain!!!
I live in an apartment and she won't go to the bathroom unless she is off the leash, so what do I do...? Let her off! sometimes she is good sometimes she is bad, does anyone have any pet security advice, She has tags and microchipped but that takes forever to find her if she gets lost! Any other ideas?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Suggestions???

I love my dog so much, but sometimes she can be a real pain!!!
I live in an apartment and she won't go to the bathroom unless she is off the leash, so what do I do...? Let her off! sometimes she is good sometimes she is bad, does anyone have any pet security advice, She has tags and microchipped but that takes forever to find her if she gets lost! Any other ideas?
Well, since this is a thread regarding Murphy's Law.. stop letting your dog without solid recall off leash until you've proofed a solid recall.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
why you microchiped him? dont you know that it can cause cancer? many studies proven it! how would you like be microchiped yourself... i really dont understand why people are doing this...
Do you have any proof that microchips cause cancer? Can you cite peer-reviewed research?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
if you want to take that risk it is up to you... but ask yourself would you chip yourself if you know that there is 1% chance of developing tumor? Its true that a majority of dogs will never have any problem but you never know if the one with the problem will be yours....
There is a ton of risk in everyday medical procedures. I would absolutely get myself a chip if I couldn't communicate where I lived and had lost my ID bracelet and had the potential to be taken to jail and killed if my mom couldn't pick me up fast enough. <--- how shelters work.

1% risk is pretty dang low.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
its your choice, everybody have to make decision for themselves... Its better to have dog-collar with address and telephone if your dog gets lost - thats my opinion...
Tags get pulled off by branches or playing with other dogs, collars snap. I've had both those things happen. Luckily, I was standing right there. Someone could easily remove your dog's collar and claim him a "stray". Microchip is a fantastic, mostly permanent way to identify your dog if their collar ends up missing.

Dogs should wear a collar and tags of some sort when they are out but I use my microchip and neuter tattoo as backups. Backups that are hard to change or remove.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Use a seatbelt harness or a crate whenever you travel by car/truck with your dog.
This one is so important to me! I had an incident while driving home with my dog in the backseat (roaming) and I almost hit a deer, he went flying forward and I had to close line him to prevent him from hitting the windshield! Since that moment if I drive anywhere but around the corner I put them in their kennel. I realized when I almost hit the deer and slammed on my breaks that if a human needs a seat belt the same is for dogs, more so even. It would have devastated me if I lost him because I went from 60 to 0 in about 3 seconds avoiding an accident but causing him to injury himself or worse. Couldn't live with myself if that had happened!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a good question, do you keep them as safe as possible at all times or let them live a little and take chances. I drive with one dog's head out the side window and the other in the passenger seat. I've have taken many chances and let them run in the woods, swim in the ocean, lakes, rivers, etc. and hunt around natural areas. We've had some close calls, less now that they aren't pushing their luck so much. If anything happened to either one it would be devastating but I decided to let them get some fun out of life. Well, I gotta go and get my motorcycle prepped for a run to the mountains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch out for garage doors closing, some dogs don't expect the door to drop down from above and may not know enough to get out of the way.

Comment about meeting other dogs on leash. This is true and something to be careful about, many dogs have been trained to accept greeting people and other dogs by walking up, but this is not the normal way for them. Also some dogs when on leash may feel like they are protecting their owner. Its always best for dogs to meet off leash (in a safe area)

Off leash, my previous dog would lie down for a second before approaching a new dog to let the other dog know he is not going to try to dominate. When on leash he was not able to provide that sign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the list you've all got in keeping your dog safe which I certainly agree, and for me as love to travel here's top addition to it.

•Don't let your dog ride in an open truck bed
•Keep your pet's head and paws inside the car
•Never leave your pets in a parked car, to avoid heatstroke
•Check your pet's collar regularly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since we are on the topic of car safety, we should keep our dogs head and paws inside the car as much as possible. I know that they love it but there is also a significant chance that they would accidentally fall out or debris/insects will get into their eyes or noses.

·
Registered
258 Posts
To be fair, most of these are some variation of "supervise or restrain your dog so they don't eat/run in front of/encounter crap that can hurt them" and "take your dog to the vet regularly."

·
Registered
523 Posts
I want to add...when it comes to leaving dogs in parked cars.

USE COMMON SENSE.

If it's cool and overcast, no problem. If it's cool and sunny but you can park in the shade, no problem. If it's hot and you need to run into a store to pee, keep two sets of keys. Leave the car running with the AC on and lock the car with the other key. Make sure you're quick.

I see too many "don't ever leave dogs in parked cars" and unfortunately that is not always possible. I travel to classes with my dogs, I go to trials. Sometimes I need to go to the bathroom and since my dogs aren't allowed inside what do I do? If the choice comes down to being sensible when traveling with dogs or never traveling with them, I'll choose the former every time. My dogs would too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If no one will know to take care of your dog if you are in an accident leave a card in your wallet with information about your dog and letting the authorities know it is home alone and needs to be taken care of.

Thankfully if I and my husband were in an accident, my parents would know to go get my dog and he would be taken care of.

I agree with not leaving dogs and cats together unsupervised, to an extent, but what is someone supposed to do when they are not home? Crate their dogs separately? Or does rule #2 only apply to animals of separate families? I can say I am 110% sure and confident that my GSD and my Pyrenees (who lives with my parents for the time being, rental issues) would never get into a fight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I want to add...when it comes to leaving dogs in parked cars.

USE COMMON SENSE.

If it's cool and overcast, no problem. If it's cool and sunny but you can park in the shade, no problem. If it's hot and you need to run into a store to pee, keep two sets of keys. Leave the car running with the AC on and lock the car with the other key. Make sure you're quick.

I see too many "don't ever leave dogs in parked cars" and unfortunately that is not always possible. I travel to classes with my dogs, I go to trials. Sometimes I need to go to the bathroom and since my dogs aren't allowed inside what do I do? If the choice comes down to being sensible when traveling with dogs or never traveling with them, I'll choose the former every time. My dogs would too.
THANK YOU!

My dog has separation anxiety and the car actually provides a lot of comfort for him. I would rather take him on errands, leave him in the car for 10-20 minutes while I am in stores, than leave him in a crate at home for hours. He never barks in the car either, he just sleeps when the car is parked and is much more relaxed than when I leave him home.

People also don't take breed into consideration, and coat makes such a huge difference. My Pyr will SLEEP IN THE SNOW when a heated dog house and inside the house is an option, she is not going to get cold in a car. If it is over 70 degrees I won't leave my dog(s) in the car for more than 5-10 minutes.

I feel like people get over kill about dogs in the car. Life situations simply don't permit every dog owner to never leave their dog in a car alone, and if every dog was removed from every owner who did this then there would be a lot of homeless dogs that really were in loving homes.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts