Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week, my 10 year old car gave out on me. I didn't want to get a new one, but had to. Well, this morning I went to get the stuff out of my old car while on my way to pick up my new one. You know sometimes when you live something day in and day out, you don't notice certain things? Well, I must have been blind, because all I can say is OMG, that was one filthy dirty car!!

I used seat covers, vacuumed and cleaned, etc etc but the hair, saliva and dirt were everywhere. It was embarrassing to say the least.

My new car has off-white cloth seats. (don't know what I was thinking).
My question, for those of you who haul your dogs around regularly, how do you keep your car clean? Right now, the entire interior is covered in blankets. My setter still managed to drool on the arm rest.

I am determined to keep this one clean. (famous last words?)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah...I absolutely know what you mean! We have a fluffy white dog and a black interior. The only thing that seems to clean up the hair and dirt is professional detailing.

We're a bit lucky that we have a hatchback, so when Cosmo is really dirty we just throw him in there with a few towels and the mess is contained. For the backseats, we're thinking about getting a Bowsers seat cover: http://bowsers.com/en/products/p31.php?CID=3

That's all I've really got so far! :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Bella doesn't drool so I don't really have that problem. She does however LOVE to lick windows and "nose" them. Leaving all kinds of smear marks but they're pretty easily cleaned up.

When she gets to go to the park - which is usually pretty muddy I just throw in one of my older blankets in the backseat and she stays on that. We have a Durango with only the middle bench seats (no third row so a big trunk). We have tan interior with a Black and White Siberian but the only time it is incredibly noticeable is when we have the windows down and the already settled fur is blowing around which is easily solved if I wasn't lazy and would vacuum the car more >.> (it's just too cold for that!).

For my Pyrenees I used to put sheets down in the trunk/over the seats - but those didn't seem to help at all =/. And we just had to do a lot of wiping or keep a drool rag with us in the car because if she decided to shake! everything was covered in drool.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I am determined to keep this one clean. (famous last words?)
ROFLMAO . . . . .

The best route to go is to learn not to be embarassed. Own it, I say. I love my dogs and therefore my car is dirty. If people want to ride in a clean car they can bring their own.

SOB

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ROFLMAO . . . . .

The best route to go is to learn not to be embarassed. Own it, I say. I love my dogs and therefore my car is dirty. If people want to ride in a clean car they can bring their own.

SOB
Lol Yeah, I could have been a regular Subaru commercial. I lived it all right. I just won't own it.

Heck! I'm not proud, but when I say embarrassing, it was bad. I can't go down that road again. I refuse to believe that I can't live a dog mom life and have a reasonably clean and professional side. I remember a consultant saw my car last year and asked how many kids I had. I looked at my car with all of it's drool and nose prints, looked at her and said, "Do you think I'd let my 10 kids lick the windows like that?" She laughed and then realized I had dogs, not kids. But you should have seen it. For the life of me, if I had kids that did that,......yeah, I don't even want to go there. : )

I think Auto Zone and I are going to get acquainted tomorrow. Seat covers are easy, suv mats are easy, heck, I even found an arm rest cover on Amazon. I think that should take care of most of it, but that (@*) saliva. It's like glue. I'll have to find some sort of wipes that remove gluey drool and something to cover the side panels in the back, the windows and also the bumper (thanks for the scratch Pebbs!). And maybe dedicate 1 or 2 days a year for the car to go to the spa.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi! I have two Catahoula curs and bought a dog hammock for the back seat that keeps everything clean. It is waterproof. Actually, I bought 3 of them and just layered them. When they come back from the dog park covered in mud, I just flick the hammock and it's all gone. Offwhite, I would get plastic seat covers installed in your car also!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi! I am a sewer too. By the time I priced the materials, latches, etc. it was much cheaper to buy one. Here is a link.hammock-dog.cheapsavebonus.com

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You made a funny! Clean? Please, two of our vehicles have lots of fur in them. There is spit & snot on back seat windows AND in our window in the living room. It is just a fact of life. We take everything out spring & summer to clean the cars. Truck has doggy car seats, suv has doggy hammock with 4" foam cushion.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You made a funny! Clean? Please, two of our vehicles have lots of fur in them. There is spit & snot on back seat windows AND in our window in the living room. It is just a fact of life. We take everything out spring & summer to clean the cars. Truck has doggy car seats, suv has doggy hammock with 4" foam cushion.
I know, right? Clean and dogs in the same paragraph. I was googling for products that clean nose prints and drool. (and it's all my setter, my lab is the neatest, cleanest princess I've ever had - with lots of falling fur). I found that there are few products or techniques for cleaning drool. I'm hearing you have to get it right away with micro cloth and a good cleaning product. I also found clear vinyl cling sheets on line and thought I'd try that for the back windows. My oldest doesn't ride in the car often, but she's small and likes to see out the windows. So, nose prints and nail marks.

Well, I'm off on a mission today. White! How stupid of me < Maybe I'll end up making a hammock too.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I recommend leather. Car w cloth interior is much harder o clean then the one w leather.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Haha.. this sounds like me. I recently just bought a new truck, my previous truck was also brand new, but I needed a bigger truck for towing purposes, but anyway.. I traded the previous one in for the new one and HOLY was it disgusting. It also had cloth seats, I didn't clean regularily enough, I guess..dog hair embedded into the seats and carpet, old muddy paw prints all over, dusty, pee stains from Thumper as a puppy, and also chewed up seat belts, from again, baby Thumper. I'm glad I decided agains't selling the old truck privately because it would have cost me a lot of time and/or money to clean the thing.

My new truck has tanned leather interior.. so atleast I dont really have to worry about hair on the seats..however, I worry about scratches. I fold my back seats up when I cart the dogs around anyway, but I cover the entire back floor with a large king sized sheet, a blanket, I keep a towel back there to wipe dirty wet paws, I wash the sheets and blankets as often as I can, I wipe the interior of my truck with a wet wipe of some kind atleast once a week, I vacuum and aswell I take one of those sticky lint rollers to the floor carpets. I just try to keep on top of the cleaning maintenance as much as I can because I was pretty embarrassed and ashamed of myself for letting my previous truck get to the condition it was in. I absolutely cannot let my new truck go to hell like that so it just takes a little extra effort.

Thankfully, my dogs aren't very messy or dirty to begin with, they don't drool and they ly right down and usually sleep when in the vehicle, but dog hair still manages to get all over the place so that's usually my biggest issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Luckily only one of my dogs drool, but both put nose prints all over the windows. Really, the windows (and occasionally the arm rests) are the only things that get dirty. I have a hammock in the back seat so any hair/dirt/mud/sand gets caught in that.

Clean up is a breeze. Just detach the hammock and shake everything off outside. If it gets really dirty I'm pretty sure it's machine washable, but I've never had to do that yet. Both cars have leather seats, I feel those are much easier to keep clean than cloth.

But yeah, I think those hammock things are the way to go. I've loaded both dogs back into the car after a day at the beach and didn't even bother trying to dry them off first. No clean up, except for shaking all of the sand out of the hammock. I've learned to just ignore the windows, I don't really need to see out of the rear passenger ones anyway :laugh:

·
Registered
559 Posts
We have a Subaru Forester and believe me, it was worth every cent to get the "cargo gate" thingy to separate the "way back". Hobbes just goes back there. We have the sport package which means that there's a rubber tray back there so all of his mud/dirt/hair gets on that and not the carpet. All the wet doggy nose/snot stuff all over the windows...well, I don't think there's any helping that.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mechanic told me about a door protector today. I think I can make these for the back of the car and the rear windows. I'll just sew in a plastic report binder to slip between the panel and the window. Then I'll make a cargo area protector. (I have enough material laying around) Picked up some seat covers. Pep Boys recommended Invisible Glass and Armorall interior detailer and wipes. I'll order a hammock and then I should be good. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V0JQJW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/Quilted-Cargo-Cover-Gray/dp/B004ZJOLBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329935947&sr=8-1

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a Subaru Forester and believe me, it was worth every cent to get the "cargo gate" thingy to separate the "way back". Hobbes just goes back there. We have the sport package which means that there's a rubber tray back there so all of his mud/dirt/hair gets on that and not the carpet. All the wet doggy nose/snot stuff all over the windows...well, I don't think there's any helping that.
Agree with the rubber mat. I took it out of my Subaru. The mechanic said he didn't mind, he's just scrapping it anyway. Lucky for me the rubber floor thingy fit my Mazda.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Susie is the only dog I have that sheds and she makes up for the little dogs that do not shed. I have a Dodge Van with the bench seat right at the back that Susie lies on when she is in the Van. It has cloth seats so really gets covered in hair but easily vacuums off. I very seldom have more than two people in the Van so don't worry too much about it.

In the summer or when I know they are going to get muddy and I have Susie along, I use my truck with the canopy on it and put them in the back. That is usually for only a five to ten minute drive so they are fine in there. I do have crates in the back of my Van to put them in if the little dogs unexpectedly get in the mud.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have black interior, a 2 year old, and Arlo. he actually sheds a light color, his under layer is fawn. So yeah, the back seat looks terrible right now! I am going to get in there and really vacuum the heck out of it, and try to find a seat cover, or blanket to keep it better...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I bought one of those big seat covers that go on the back seats, that are water proof and tear resistant. Works wonders but doesnt fit in my car to well, i have huge head rests in the back. So its in my fiances car since it fits there. So i am thinking of making one as well only like a hammock, since the one we have doesnt do anything to protect the floor.

We both have grey interiors, with 2 white with some gold dogs so we can still see all the hair. I gotta get out there and vaccum the heck out of it, and try something to get most of it off, then get the materials to make the hammock, since buying one isnt probley in my cards thanks to my head rests LOL

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I agree with getting a leather interior - much easier to keep clean. I also use Weathertech molded floor mats and a cargo mat for the back. I put the back seat down and covered it with a seat cover and car floor mats on top of that. So pretty much any surface the dog will be on is covered in tough plastic. When I have anyone else in the car, I just pull all of the extra mats and the seat cover and my car looks like new. Well, after I wash all the nose prints off the windows. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts