Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some ideas for keeping ticks from crawling onto Zoey in the first place.. She uses frontline plus every month, But I hear that only works AFTER the tick bites. Lot of good that does :(.. So I'm wondering what other people use to keep the ticks off their dogs in the first place? She is a Lhasa Apso and it's not the easiest thing in the world to check her for ticks since she's got so much hair.. I try to do my best though.

Today however we were sitting on the couch together under a blankie, and I noticed a tick crawling along on the outside of the blanket (I burned it to death with a match :) ) I don't know if it came off of her or off of me, or if it had just somehow found it's way into the house and crawled up the couch (*shiver* I -hate- ticks) It seems pretty unlikely that it came off of either of us actually. It was still flat and empty, like it hadn't sucked any blood yet. I gave Zoey a bath and cut her hair yesterday, so she was -thoroughly- inspected with TWO brushing and drying times (once before the cut and once after to get rid of clipped hair) and we've both only been out in the yard twice today, just right off the edge of the cement for her to pee... It must have found it's way into the house some how.. maybe got on one of us a few days ago and fell off or something..(ishy ishy ish)

So anyway I've heard of people using Citronella spray on their dogs? Does that work for ticks and would it be harmful if she licked it off? I figure regular old bug spray -would- be pretty harmful if she licked that off so I don't think I can use that... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have mixed Avon skin so soft with water and would mist the dogs down in the evening. It seemed to help some.

but, ticks are a part of owning a dog so you get used to them. Even though I live in the boondocks of TX, I don't have a big critter problem but I stay on top of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts