Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed last night that Sydney was holding her tail down, not pressed against her body, but just down. This is probably the way many dogs just naturally hold their tail when relaxed, but not so for Sydney. You can see how she ordinary holds her tail in my signature. I first noticed this right after a bath, so I assumed she was just acting funny like the tends to when she's all wet and trying to dry herself off. I didn't think anything of it until today.

She seems absolutely normal in every way except that she's holding her tail down and when she wags it it curves down, like she can only control the first 1/3 of it but doesn't realize and the other 2/3 just flops down. I took her outside and she still wagged this way, although she did raise her tail like normal for a few seconds, which is encouraging.

I called the vet but they're closed today, so I'm going to make an appointment first thing tomorrow. She's due for a check-up anyway. But if anyone has any ideas as to what might have caused this, and whether or not it could be evidence of something serious I would be very grateful. I'm pretty freaked out right now because I know the tail is connected to the spine. :(

This sounds like a spot on description of what's going on, and the picture is exactly what it looks like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have never seen or heard of this before.

the link you provided does sound exactly like what you are describing in your dog.

a sprained tail.

hard to say exactly what may have caused it......genetic weakness in the tail..............an injury........

google and read up on MSM supplements.

Let us know what your Vet says and recommends.

Hugz to Sydney and i hope that tail heals soon so you can wag it all day long!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response DarKevs.

Now that I'm reading more about it it seems like she might have just overexerted herself yesterday. After a bath she really goes wild tearing around the house trying to get dry. Like way more activity in short bursts than usual. If it is indeed this limber tail syndrome, it certainly makes sense that it happened then. We'll see what the vet says but this certainly is comforting. I was really fearing the worst!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Kaki has sprained her tail as well as two dogs at work(that I know of). Our vet said to let it alone and it will take care of itself. It did. Her fur still poofs out at the second vertebrae every so often but she isn't in any pain(she's the kind of baby that lets me know) and she is not shy about wagging.

Both of the work dogs took a week off from daycare to recover(vet's recommendation). The pit that sprained her tail still gets the occasional fur poof like Kaki but otherwise they all seem to be fine.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Kaki has sprained her tail as well as two dogs at work(that I know of). Our vet said to let it alone and it will take care of itself. It did. Her fur still poofs out at the second vertebrae every so often but she isn't in any pain(she's the kind of baby that lets me know) and she is not shy about wagging.

Both of the work dogs took a week off from daycare to recover(vet's recommendation). The pit that sprained her tail still gets the occasional fur poof like Kaki but otherwise they all seem to be fine.
I'm glad to hear you've experienced the same thing and it didn't appear to have any lasting effects.

If this is the issue, do you think she would benefit from some MSM supplements or are those for unrelated issues?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy's tail never stopped moving and he was forever whacking it off walls and furniture hard (but if you stepped on it lightly, he'd freak) and he sprained his tail a couple of times. You just let it be and it gets better. Scared me half to death the first time I saw it, too.

Huh, looking at your link, it seems that Muggsy's Golden Retriever heritage may have been partly to blame. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Poor thing :( .... let us know how it goes and what it is.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Her tail is held out almost halfway, then droops? I have had quite of few lol. One was a back injury, one was an injured tail, one was a uterine infection. Definitely go to the vet, but she will probably feel better in a few days. The female with the uterine infection actually acted sick, off her feed, ran a fever, where the injured tail acted fine. The back injury, she was actually aggressive when feeling bad, but she is somewhat mean anyway.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My Cavalier, Stella, had this same thing happen after a bath once, too. I don't remember what is was called....limp tail, or something like that. Dogs, especially water dogs like Labs, get it. It's caused by too cold or too hot water. Stella got an antibiotic and was fine after a couple weeks. Google limp tail in dogs.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the help guys. Her tail was mostly back to normal yesterday and today I can't see anything abnormal about it at all. I'm so relieved. I have an appointment for this Friday, but I might reschedule it to next Friday if nothing changes, since that will be right after I get paid.

And juliemule, that's exactly what it was like, but absolutely no personality/behavior changes.

StellaLucyDesi, sounds like the same thing is going on with her. Apparently it has a whole bunch of informal names, but Limber Tail Syndrome seems to be the most common just from searching the internet. Do you know what the antibiotics were for? I'm just curious since it seems like it's comparable to a sprain, which I've personally never taken anything but pain meds for. I want to make sure I'm not being terribly negligent by holding off on taking her in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts