Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two dogs. Our yard is three acres and our spaniel, who is 14, has no problem staying in the boundaries. On the other hand, we just got a boxer who's about two years old and he's having a lot of problems staying within the boundaries. Every time we let him off his leash, he runs to the neighbors who have dogs and small children. They are both inside dogs, but right now when we let them out, we tie the boxer up to a long leash that's about 40 feet long. Is there a way to train him in order to let him run around free with the spaniel, w/out him running to the neighbors? We did just buy a wireless fence from Petsafe. Total area for this is about a quarter acre I believe. We haven't used it yet and plan on waiting till spring to train him on this. I would love to have him to be able to run free though, if possible....

Thanks in adavance!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So what you're saying is that your older, calmer, likely already trained dog obeys, and the new dog that doesn't know you, likely has no training and a ton of energy runs off to party with the neighbor's kids and dogs? Just making sure I have it right.

Training, training, training. You can get invisible fence systems that are wireless, if you want to start training him now, if not, then put your shoes on, bundle up, get his leash and get walking! Enjoy! Also keep in mind he's got hormones and those will encourage him to take off and look for girls. My male is the same, if he gets out he's GONE, where the girls don't go very far. Of course we have a dog run so it's not a normal routine to go looking for him, it's just been the odd time someone leaves the gate open...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts