Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends! I am getting a borzoi puppy soon and I am worried about things like dirt and mud or his poo stuck to his back fur when I take him outside.
I've never had a long haired dog before (my dog before this was a tiny short haired chihuahua) and I was wondering if this is a fear I'm justified in having and if there's ways to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have two medium hair breeds (Aussie and Border Collie). Both have large amounts of butt fluff, the Aussie especially. With a proper diet that works with them, they should not get poo stuck in the butt fluff other than the rare occurrences where something just kinda goes wrong. If they get the runs you'll just have to wipe or rinse it off. I've very rarely had a problem with poopy butt.

You'll want a brush. I use slicker and combs on mine. Usually dirt just dries on and falls off somewhat, or you can brush it out after it dries. I give the fluffier dog baths/blowouts with a force dryer once a month to keep the hair fresh and undercoat out. The other I do once every 3 months. I also trim hairy feet. Some people don't, but I think it looks nicer and makes muddy paw cleanup easy.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I have a papillon. She very rarely gets pee or poop in her fur -- like ForTheLoveOfDogs said, it's basically only if something goes wrong. Male dogs can sometimes get pee on their fur when they lift their legs, but a sanitary trim can help with that.

Dirt's not a big deal; it dries and falls off or can be brushed out. Road salt and grit in winter is bad, though... Crystal ends up with a black underbelly sometimes. A quick rinse in the tub and she's fine, though. Snow in the winter can leave her legs covered in snowballs, but that should be less of a problem with a taller dog. Twigs and leaves can get snagged in the fur, but those are easy to pull out (and again, probably not as big of an issue with a taller dog whose tail isn't sometimes dragging on the ground).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yes, with a proper diet, poop shouldn't really get stuck in the fur. Every once in a while there may be a digestive upset, and then you will have to rinse out any aftermath. I typically trim the hair under the base of my dog's tail, and trim up the long flyaway butt fluff hair, too. Dirt can be brushed out with a regular brush. I also use an undercoat rake to remove dead hair. I only bathe once a month, sometimes less if his coat stays clean.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I used to have a rough collie, so I understand your concern. As the others have said, it's generally not a problem, but you can have a groomer do a "sanitary trim" where the fur around the dog's butt is cut shorter. If the dog is male you can also have the fur around the penis trimmed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My very white eskie mix is actually rarely dirty. Believe it or not, their fur is pretty 'self cleaning'... at 17 months, I've only had to give her a bath a couple times. I've had poop stuck in her butt hair a couple times though, but it came out with soap and water.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I have Welsh springers and my male especially can grow long feathers, much longer than a borzoi. Mostly I don't try to keep them that clean - if they get muddy, they get muddy and I can always rinse them off or give them a bath. Most of the mud falls off on its own as they dry. Males do pee on their belly feathers a bit so I spray my male off and wipe quickly with a towel when he comes in. It's rare that they get poop on their butt feathers (only if they have very loose poop) but if they do I just rinse with water and towel off. It's not as easy as a short coated dog but it's not that bad either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts