Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had several different dogs in my lifetime. Some of them have been easier to deal with then others as far as keeping them contained. Lulu had this amazing agility and drive. She could run and hop over our back fence like it was only a couple inches off the ground. IT is 4 1/2 feet usually. The side fences are 6 foot privacy fence.
Now, my boys Oliver and Carsten have been doing some landscaping in the far back part of my yard. They run the fence with the neighbors Jack Russell. They have managed to push all of the wood chips up into the back corner of the yard. I didn't notice right away because I have not been out in the back much lately. (no good excuse for that) Well, today I see Carsten standing over the fence and go... :eek: The fence is only 11 inches high?!? "Oh wait! They have built themselves a platform out of wood chips."
The amazing thing is, that they stay in the yard like that. Even when the dog next door comes out and teases them by the fence they do not cross the fence.
Oliver is so mild mannered and submissive that I can truly take a piece of masking tape from one side of a door way to another 6 inches off the ground and Oliver will NOT pass that line. He could easily walk or hop over that tape or barrel through it (something his brother, Carsten would do.) but Oliver will not. I tested him the other day. I put tape over the door and he was still in there at the end of the day. HE whined when I came in because he needed help coming out of the bedroom.
I love that boy! :D He may not be the brightest bulb but he has the warmest glow. :)

What does it take to contain your dogs?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My GSDs used to put their paws in the fence to climb it like a little ladder. So we zip tied flat pieces of metal(I have no idea what they're called) in each corner. That way they couldn't get they're paws in the fence to hoist themselves over.

After that, they learned to drag the dog house to the side of the fence as a little step stool.:eek: So the dog house was moved to the kennel where it stayed. Problem solved.

Now I have no yard to speak. However, Kaki did jump out of our third story window to follow us to the movies! Scared me half to death. Not only did she manage the jump with only a scrape on the chin, but she crossed several busy roads to follow me and my roommate.
I carried her home and bawled. Never did make it to the movies.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
LOL! Just the thought of your dogs building a viewing platform made me giggle. And Oliver sounds like a real love. Wish he could teach Poca about boundaries. She does respect baby gates, which she could easily plow through or jump over, and she doesn't like cardboard, so I use a couple of large pieces around the house to keep her from temporarily going places I don't want her to go.

This is a dog that can scale a 12 ft fence, but put a little cardboard in front of her and she backs right off. We have a breakfast room that's almost hexagonal with lots of windows. She likes to go in there to watch the horses on the property behind us, not to mention the bunnies, coyotes, deer, cats, etc. that sometimes cross our property. I'm sure if we didn't quickly put the cardboard up to block her when she sees something exciting out there, she'd bust through the window to go chase it.

Other than cardboard, our only other management tool is 100% leashing. We still work on recall all the time in case she ever does get loose, but I'm not counting on it with my houdini dog!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I had a Dane bitch who wouldn't step over a garden hose, if you identified it as a boundary.

I had a Rottie bitch who could get out of a Swiss bank vault. She never went anywhere, though. She'd get out of the house and bark at the door to be let in. I swear she did it just to show me she could.

My Golden has jumped over a branch hanging, 3 feet high, across the trail. He could have walked under it with his head and tail held high, but he likes to get him some air. He cleared it by at least a foot. Zero apparent effort, and radical hang-time. I don't have a fenced yard, so he's never out alone, but I don't think a 6-footer would slow him down appreciably. Interestingly, the last time he was clear for takeoff, he acted totally responsibly. I was sleeping on the couch (semi-comatose) and the wind blew the front door wide open. Rusty came over and barked in my face until I woke up and closed the door. As soon as I did, he went back to his nap.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
My dogs are night and day...

Kim is very respectful of barrier if she's told it's a barrier. We have confined her to a room by putting a 6" tall box in front of the door...and she's a 23-23.5", 50lb dog. But she knows she's not to pass so she won't.

Webster...the only thing that keeps Webster confined are complete enclosure with multiple locks, or my presence. He learned to open our 42" baby gate with verticle bars, will climb normal baby gates, climbs chainlink, will move objects in his path or scramble over them if he can't do that. He knows how to tip/move the ring gates and open the sliding doors at the obedience club to access new areas as well.

The other day I attempted to confine my 17.5" 23lb ninja dog to the kitchen (he was a muddy mess) by putting Kim's wire crate (Midwest 42" long, 31" high, 32lbs) in front of the door and stacking her soft crate on top of it (Noz2Noz 36" long, 28" high, 18lbs) on top of it...I walked to the basement and he appeared next to me within 2 minutes. When I went up to see how, I found the soft crate pushed to the side, and he demonstrated how he beat the wire crate by hopping up, walking across the wires, and landing back in the kitchen at which time he turned around and sat politely as if asking what I would like to try next, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I had an Irish setter that could climb a six-foot horizontal board fence like a ladder and jump anything much shorter than that.

The thing is, she was a stray when I found her (or she found me) and had no real interest in escaping. She'd go over the fence just to show us she could, and then immediately come back over into the yard.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Tramp, the dog my parents got when I was 2 got out of everything. He got out of crates, out of the house, out of the yard, managed to get untied, slipped collars. We first had 5 foot chain link, he would just climb that. Then they put up 6 foot privacy fencing, so he just jumped that. Then they put in invisible fencing to go along with the 6 foot privacy fencing, he figured out it would stop shocking him once he got through it. Then they tried tieing him in the yard on a zip line, he got himself off of that, over the 6 foot fence while being shocked going over it. So, then they got him a no slip collar, he just got the line onhooked from the collar.

In the house he would break a window to get out if he wanted to. He could open the doors, he would bite down on the handle and turn it, so we always had to lock the doors. He jumped out of my second floor bedroom window, onto the roof, to the ground to get loose.

With Lloyd and Allie I simply have to tell them "wait" at a doorway or any landmark type thing and they won't go through/past it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Rottie bitch who could get out of a Swiss bank vault. She never went anywhere, though. She'd get out of the house and bark at the door to be let in. I swear she did it just to show me she could.
Hm, was her name Inga or Lulu? They were both like that. I think they just wanted to show me that even though I THINK I am the boss of the house, they knew better. :)

The thing is, she was a stray when I found her (or she found me) and had no real interest in escaping. She'd go over the fence just to show us she could, and then immediately come back over into the yard.
Yup, my little Lexi girl did that to my new and VERY Rottie phobic neighbor's. lol
She just ran jumped ran jumped and repeated 3-4 times as I stood on one side of the fence and the very upset nervous neighbor stood on the other with our jaws dropped. She finished this exercise with a perfectly square "Front" in front of me. She looked at me like, "what is next, mom?" lol
Thankfully the neighbor learned to appreciate Rottie humor and didn't freak too bad.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Our giant privacy fence. For some reason, the side we share with the neighbors is a simple chain link fence. They do not have any dogs and aren't out there a lot, so Jonas and Jack are not interested in getting over there. Smalls, however, does not like to be prohibited from going where she pleases. She's too short and stubby to make it, so we were quite shocked when we heard a giant crash and found she had knocked over the shed for the pool things and was leaping free to the neighbors yard. Quickly replaced that thing with a solid in the ground shed. :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've mentioned the story on here about the high energy corgi/terrier mix I was conned into adopting before. That dog was a born escape artist. Needless to say, he was constantly bored and he turned that energy into escape plans. He dug under the fence. I put railroad ties on the outside. He dug another part. I put garden gravel rocks in there and a solid concrete brick underneath that. Somehow he dug out both of those. He managed to open the gate a time or two and I have no clue how he pulled that off. He would get out, roam the neighborhood, drag the neighbors trash through my yard and then sit on the porch and wait for me to come home.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Dakota doesn't take much to keep contained. She's smart and wily like most Terriers...but really not the best problem solver. If it can't be fixed with a few seconds of digging/swiping paws then she's pretty stumped :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have a four foot picket that any of my dogs could clear, but they've never jumped over it or even tried. The shelties can open the gate though, and have, but only to look for me if I'm not out there...one reason I never leave them unsupervised outside, the other reason is the barking...

Indoors they are kept in certain areas by a 3 foot baby gate, but Scarlett can open crates.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I am fortunate that Bello doesn't have any interest in attempting a leap over the fence Inga. I guess he has the ability to do so over our 4ft. chainlink but a good portion of our yard is 6 ft. vinyl. He never digs either atleast not near the fence line. He occasionally will dig in his pen to lay in the dirt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With multiple Rotties, I try to keep a pretty secure enclosure, and I have about 2.5 acres fenced. There was a 4 foot chain link fence on 3 sides and 6 ft. stockade on the 4th side when I bought it. I've replaced all but the stockade and am working on that this summer.
Over the years, I've had some go over the fence, some under, some open the doors and gates, but I've only had one that would leave the yard. If there were kids playing anywhere within earshot, she'd try to get to them. Once she went nearly a mile and joined two toddlers in a wading pool.
The mother of the children freaked when my Rottie girl came running across a field toward her babies, but got over it quickly when she realized she was just there to play. I'm usually in the yard with my dogs, but sometimes leave them for a few minutes, just to get something or other.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thankfully, Libby is very respectful of boundaries. I can stand a paper bag in a doorway, with plenty of space on either side for her to pass through, or she could even just push the bag over, but she respects the boundary. She has never tried to jump a baby gate. We have a 4' fence in the backyard which she only jumped once, the first winter we had her when we had 3.5' of snow, so the fence was only 6" to her. (she was still a puppy at the time).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts