Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on Thurs my SnotPuppy goes in to have her neck operated on....she has an impacted salivary gland that needs to be removed and we are finally able tog et it done....1st, having her put under scares me and 2nd, she has never been away from me for more than about 4 hrs b/4 (this, in itself, is going to be hard on us both)....the surgery is extremely "delicate" and i don't know how she will do under anesthesia (Borders can be quite sensitive to anesthesia and my vet can't do the procedure, so i have to trust a total stranger w/ my girl...not easy for me)

this is what her throat looks like when it fills up...
normal...

just b/4 aspirating it (done 3 times w/ 6-8 oz of "stuff" drawn each time)...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that for the both of you!

I wish you the strength and courage to have good faith in the stranger who's going to fix your lil' girl up! I also wish her a safe surgery and a speedy recovery!

: ) Keep us posted on her surgery and recovery!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh My Goodness that poor little girl! :eek: What in the world causes something like that?
I have never heard of such a thing. Dogs and people alike, come up with all kinds of oddities do they not? I will be thinking of her. Good luck to you both, I know how you feel. The idea of putting my dogs under always scares me also, I avoid it whenever I can. Where is she having it done? Good you are going to someone who KNOWS this surgery. Will you be sitting in?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I had a Chow mix that had something similar. He got it when he was about 10 and lived to be 16. My vet said that he didn't recommend surgery for him, because in his case, it was purely cosmetic, not bothering him, and that when they drain them, they usually just refill.

I'm sure your vet is doing what he thinks is best for your dog, but I'm just curious if yours' was having any problems because of it. (I'm not wanting you to feel I am second guessing your vet...I'm just curious, in case I run across it again.)

Sending well wishes for your boy..

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, and more.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
she'll be going here in Appleton at the Fox Valley Animal Referral Center; there are only 2 places in the state of WI that does this surgery and that's here or at the University down in Madison....

what causes it is hard to say...my vet says that he has seen 3 other dogs come thru his practice w/ it and they do fine w/out the surgery being done--live long healthy lives w/ the thing just hanging there--but it can't be that comfortable...she eats fine and her energy levels are fine but it just looks so "nasty" to leave there....

i think the hardest thing is having it done so soon after Lacey...the thought of loosing her (which we all know is a possibility in even the most "trivial" surgeries, just depends on the dog)...that doesn't help any...

but, thinking positive here, thinking positive:):)

i know Titch is going to go nutz that night, as well....

add on: thanx everyone...keep 'em coming...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Lots of good and healing thoughts from me and Tiberius. I hope everything goes perfectly.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, and more.
What Wvasko said....

I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Please update us as soon as you are able.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Sending you more good thoughts for Tir...update us as soon as you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts