Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I'm using crunchy treats.

If they are small, he'll just crunch them right there.

If I give him a whole one, he'll go carry it off somewhere lie down sometimes (why?) and crunch it down.

Why doesn't he just crunch it where I gave it to him? What's with the "go somewhere and eat it" thing?

It's not like I've ever taken a treat back or anything like that. And if I DO need to take something from him he shouldn't be chewing on or don't want him shredding (like leaves he drags in) there's no guarding or anything.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca does this with some people. Or she'll just take it and turn away with it. She doesn't do it with me unless it's something really high value. I've always assumed that she was making sure I didn't take it from her. Same reflex as when a dog swallows something whole if you try to take something from them?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dog and I BOTH do this. If I'm just going to have a bite or tast of something I may just stand at the fridge and sample a bite of pineapple. But if I'm going to have a nice bowlful of fruit, I sit down at the table and enjoy it. I think it's the same. Carmen will take a treat on the spot, but she like to settle in for a nice chew on the leather sofa.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mom wanted to give Wally a bit of a granola bar (he loves them, much to her surprise). So she put it on the sidewalk and told him to get it. He did and he took it at went away to eat it.

Mom: "He got dirt all over it and was eating it - I put it on the sidewalk so it wouldn't get dirt on it!" LOL

I remember when he used to eat off the ground all the time. He never picked it up and carried it then...He'd just stay there and (try to) eat it. But mom put something on the ground, he picked it up and carried it somewhere. Guess it's a difference between "found food" and "given food". What's given might get taken back, what's found needs to be protected? That sort of thing?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Personally I think they just want to settle down somewhere cozy and eat, just like we do. Luke does that too, he'll take a treat from me and move somewhere and then eat it. He knows I wouldn't take it from him, but he still does it. I think he just wants to eat in private, maybe your dogs does too. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think size has something to do with it. I usually use slivers or tiny bits of treats but when I'm feeling extremely generous I'll give Auriel a whole treat and if she has to chew it, she walks away and eats it elsewhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch does this. If it is a small, easy to eat treat, then he will eat it in front of me. If it is a bigger treat then he will take it to either a rug or his favorite chair. I also think he is just trying to get comfortable.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Interesting... b/c so many dogs do this... I expect it and never thought about it.
Like Wally:
1. If I give Shep a two bite or fewer treat, he will eat it there or crunch it on the floor/ground.
2. If I give him a whole carrot, he will take it somewhere to lie down and enjoy it... preferring a softer place to lie down.
3. However, if he finds food, I don't think he likes to lie down where he would find food outside.
4. The very few times that he has found a food container in the house, which should have been in the trash, he will lie down and enjoy himself. And, I do not punish him for 'stealing food,' b/c it wasn't his fault that someone presented the opportunity. But, I do reach down and he lets me take it... No praise or reward... but no punishment, except that the 'treat' is gone.

He is not concerned about me taking his food, no food reactivity... maybe b/c when I take his food, I usually return it. And sometimes I interrupt him to drop some else into his food bowl.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Haha Eppy does this too!

When he is outside and I call him in, the routine is that he comes in and lies down on the living room floor. Sometimes I give him a treat. When it's a larger dog biscuit and I hold it out for him to take with his mouth he will take it, stand up, move to another part of the room (about 6 feet away), lie down and eat it. If I put the same kind of biscuit on the floor in front of him then he will just eat it without moving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll drink a beer and eat a slice of pizza in the presence of others, but sometimes, if I feel like eating a whole pizza and drinking a six-pack, I'll do it alone...on a count of my being embarrassed by my own gluttony:laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts