Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say there's no stupid question...I'm about to challenge that.

I heard the coolest dog howl a couple days ago. I don't know where exactly it came from or who the dog was, but it was close and in the neighborhood. It made me wonder: Why doesn't Wally ever howl?

I've seen those youtube videos where someone makes a noise or fake howls and the dog howls and all of that. Wally just looks at me like "what's that mean?" and starts sniffing my breath, especially if I've eaten recently.

So, my stupid dog question: Do all dogs howl? If so, why doesn't Wally howl?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Have you ever tried using a musical instrument around him to see if he howls? Leeo began howling at a harmonica. I implemented when the harmonica was played and used the word " Sing " until he could howl on cue! It is cool to teach. :) Teach and treat!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't know why some dogs don't howl. We like to play a youtube vidoe of a dog howling and it gets everybody going...except Kaki. She gets nervous, paces, and looks at me as if to say,"Do you need me to shut these guys up for you?!"

She doesn't howl with the daycare dogs either. Mystery.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever tried using a musical instrument around him to see if he howls? Leeo began howling at a harmonica. I implemented when the harmonica was played and used the word " Sing " until he could howl on cue! It is cool to teach. :) Teach and treat!
Well, I have this music composing program so I could try that (it has instrument sounds - not just loops and such). That would be a cool trick, getting him to howl on cue. I could have him howl at the tea kettle and bark at the kitchen timer. Next best thing to talking is making different vocalizations for different events :)

I don't know why some dogs don't howl. We like to play a youtube vidoe of a dog howling and it gets everybody going...except Kaki. She gets nervous, paces, and looks at me as if to say,"Do you need me to shut these guys up for you?!"

She doesn't howl with the daycare dogs either. Mystery.
Wally does that head tilting thing while staring at the speaker (he knows the speaker isn't a dog, but it's making a dog sound so it confuses him?). Sometimes he'll bark, or he'll do the head tilt thing and then look at me like "WTF is this?"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I have one data point to offer: I had my dog about 7 months without any howling. Then we moved into a big apartment building and he started with this weird howling bark at the guys that work in the building.

I figured it was something territorial or just anxiety about the new environment, but I don't really know. With time and some treats he got over it. I've since heard him do the same at uncooperative (ie, not playing with or chasing him) dogs at the dog park.

(Now you've got me thinking I should teach him to howl...)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My parents' bird dog howls when fire trucks go by. ONLY fire trucks, not any other kind of siren or truck or emergency vehicle. Howling at him doesn't do it. I like to think he's communing with his fire truck brothers.

Meanwhile, Biscuit never howls, even when she hears other dogs howling at fire trucks. If we howl at her, she just looks at us like we've obviously gone insane. If we play Youtube videos of dogs howling, she looks curious but quickly becomes bored and departs. The closest she gets is she'll sort of howl-grumble if she's trying to get something or someone to do something sometimes, like if another dog at the dog park has a stick she wants to chew on. Kind of sounds like the dog in this video. I haven't tried a harmonica, but I certainly will! I love howling.

I used to live with a mutt who was adopted around age 2 and never howled when I was living with him (2 years). Two more years later, I hear he's learned how to do it. I used to think it was a yes/no thing, like either the dog howls or it doesn't, but maybe not.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Two of my 3 howl. Christy (dog in my sig) howls the most perfect low toned howl with her lips in a perfect "O". Rusty, the chow mix, howls with his head thrown back, like a Coyote. Poor little Snickers, my Cocker that looks like he was put together by a committee, is severely howl challenged. He wants to howl, so badly, but ends up doing these high pitched screeches that sounds like he is being murdered. It's horrendous!
They howl at sirens, and occasionally when the coyotes out back howl.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meanwhile, Biscuit never howls, even when she hears other dogs howling at fire trucks. If we howl at her, she just looks at us like we've obviously gone insane. If we play Youtube videos of dogs howling, she looks curious but quickly becomes bored and departs. The closest she gets is she'll sort of howl-grumble if she's trying to get something or someone to do something sometimes, like if another dog at the dog park has a stick she wants to chew on. Kind of sounds like the dog in this video.
Wally sometimes makes sounds like that. Kind of a marowrow sort of moan/bark/some sound that sounds more like a cat. It's weird. He makes lots of weird sounds - but not a "standard" dog one LOL

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
BB howls at anything and everything lol. But its more of a baying howl, like a hounds almost. We call it her whoo whoo. Its funny when she holds a note for a long time, and she can hold it for quite a while.

I have been told that both her dam and sire had this howl.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
He doesn't have anyone to sing with? Howling is a very "mature" behavior (on the scale of dogs who juvenilized and are not) I have one old rescue boy with a most deep and mournful howl when anything with a siren goes by. Everybody joins in. But Alice (who acts a lot like a pup and looks a lot like a pup at 10) only manages some pitiful yips. I don't think she can actually howl. Wouldn't know where a coton would fall on the scale, but I would guess pretty juvenilized)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Puck used to howl when he was a very small puppy, but only at the alarm clock going off. Now we try to get him to do it (insturments, youtube dog howling, howling ourselves) and he just looks at us like we are crazy. The weirdest part is we KNOW he is part husky and those are one of the howliest dogs ever.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
All of my shelties howled, but I notice the behavior a lot less in the paps. My shelties would all howl at almost everything- you, certain songs, fire trucks, each other, etc. I loved to get them going in a chorus.

Bernard is the papillon that is closest to howling. He almost bays and the last note gets drawn out. It is something like 'Woo woo woo woooooooooooo' Come to think of it, I have heard him howl a few times. His dam also woo wooo'd instead of the typical papillon yap. And Harry (my old papillon, who was Bernard's uncle) also howled that way. They come from a different line than the other papillons. So I think there must be a genetic aspect to it.

But the rest don't at all. I just tested Mia and she just came up and started trying to lick my mouth.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Heh, Ceada doesn't howl really. She'll occasionally have a long bark. The closest she comes to howling is when she REALLY wants to be with us and we are in the laundry room or something and she makes this HORRIBLE sound that she has made since the day I brought her home. She sounds like she is trying to howl but she sounds like a dying monkey! Yips squeals chirps whatever you want to call it. Before she realized that it doesn't get her what she wants she would do it until she got hoarse. Now she does it for a minute or two if she is really lonely/bratty then stops. What a horrid sound. If she learns to howl I'll take that any day lol.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
They say there's no stupid question...I'm about to challenge that.

I heard the coolest dog howl a couple days ago. I don't know where exactly it came from or who the dog was, but it was close and in the neighborhood. It made me wonder: Why doesn't Wally ever howl?

I've seen those youtube videos where someone makes a noise or fake howls and the dog howls and all of that. Wally just looks at me like "what's that mean?" and starts sniffing my breath, especially if I've eaten recently.

So, my stupid dog question: Do all dogs howl? If so, why doesn't Wally howl?
Physically he is capable of howling.... Maybe he doesn't know he can, Maybe he does not know how....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My hound won't howl or bay and the Pit Bull sounds like a dang Beagle with her howling....
Lol.

I have noticed(how can you not?!) that every single Dobe I've ever worked with has been a major howler. Even the puppies would get revved up over a siren or missing "mommy" and start spinning in circles howling.

There was also a Newfie, named Moses(I lurve him), that had such a low howl that it was barely audible. I could actually feel it but I could barely hear it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mumble doesn't make much noise to begin with. I've never heard him howl in person, but one day I set up a video camera to see how he acted while we were gone. He made a lot of really sad noises that I had no idea he could make. One of them was very howl-like but probably would still be considered more of a cry.

Our Westie never howled. Sometimes to get our attention he would "talk" to us. It was a sort of growl where he drew it out and opened and closed his mouth, changing the pitch. GarowGarowGarowGarow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts