Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard of the breed until today, but I think I'm in love. They are beautiful dogs. I don't think I would ever own one, but I can still appreciate a great dog when I see it.

Unfortunately, the only reason I now know about this breed is because I saw someone selling puppies on kijijiji :rant:

Anyone else heard of them or know anything about the breed?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yeah I know about them. But I like their looks alone :p Beautiful indeed, but for those looks I'd go for the Russo-European laika (heard they are supposed to be milder in character? I'm not sure).

But if I wanted a laika, I'd take a Westsiberian laika ;) I like their character best. I think I like them best of all arctic/spitz breeds.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think if you need protection from bears, they're great. The thought of an average family getting one off kijiji. . .scary.

·
Registered
717 Posts
WHat is Kijiji? I heard this breed is not for a home environment at all, best kept outside in the country with plenty of room..... and prob some bears to scare off...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think if you need protection from bears, they're great. The thought of an average family getting one off kijiji. . .scary.
My thoughts exactly

WHat is Kijiji? I heard this breed is not for a home environment at all, best kept outside in the country with plenty of room..... and prob some bears to scare off...
Kijiji is a Canadian classifieds site kinda like craigslist. A LOT more dogs and cats sold on kijiji though. It's sad really how many are on there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Kijiji is a Canadian classifieds site kinda like craigslist. A LOT more dogs and cats sold on kijiji though. It's sad really how many are on there.[/QUOTE]

O, ok thanks. Craigslist has a feeble rule about only pet adoptions I think- which mainly means that people ask for an "adoption fee".....

I dont know why anyone would buy a rare breed off a site like that without any previous experience with the breed.... People!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a good idea, the dogs were bred to protect herds of animals, not by chasing off bears, but by standing their ground and fighting the bear if need be. They are not herding dogs, but protectors of animals. They need a large area to protect, if stuck in a house they may over protect their humans or one chosen human. There was a bad incident in BC just recently, a witness said she had never saw a dog who would not stop attacking someone with such vigor even with commands to stop and them trying to physically remove the animal. The dogs have permanently decimated the woman, crushing her skull, full of defensive wounds from covering her throat, the victim was said to be "shutting down" and at the point of death, just letting the dogs finish her off because she had no fight left in her. Do not mean to be giving these dogs a bad name, however they are bred to kill a bear if necessary, these dogs were handled properly on a large area of land and this still happened.

http://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/149681305.html

·
Registered
591 Posts
Beautiful dogs but I have seen several up for rescueBe this last year or so near me ( I am in Alaska ) probably people that didnt know what they were getting into when they bought one of these dogs !! Another one of those intances where the cute little puppy grows up and you cant handle it ! Besides my Yorkiepooo and Poochon can scare off a silly ole bear just as good as the big dogs !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am an owner of three Karelian Bear Dogs (KBD for short) and thus have a lot of experience with the breed. KBDs were originally bred in an area of Europe once called Karelia, now a part of Finland and Russia -- hence the name. They are a primitive breed of dog, which means they have maintained their original instincts for hunting and survival. KBDs were originally bred to be used for hunting bear, elk and other large game, and also for use in protecting flocks of animals and people.

Agression to humans were bred out of the dogs over many hundreds of years. In fact, any dog that showed such aggression was not bred, and sometimes even killed.

This is why the behaviour shown by the dog in B.C. who attacked the woman is so unusual and an aberration to the breed. KBDs usually show little interest in people other than their owners -- they will greet them and spend a few minutes with them, then go on to more important things, such as what animals and/or strange smells are nearby. My husband and I first got a KBD for protection against the bears that came onto our property. Our oldest dog used to accompany my stepdaughter when she went outside to play and we were never afraid he would attack her.

I and other KBD owners wonder how the dogs who attacked this woman had been socialized day-to-day and whether they were obtained from a reputable breeder. As I said before, this behaviour is not normal for the breed.

A KBD is not for everyone -- but those who choose the breed and spend time working with them will realize this is a brave dog with heart and a great love and respect for humans. This bond can be so great, in fact, that they will give up their lives, if necessary, for the person or people that they are bonded to.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I see a family at the dog park every now and then that has 3 of them as well, I stopped and ask them once, "hey, are those KBD's?" and he's like "Yes! Wow, no one has ever heard of this breed I'm surprised you knew that", so we got chattin cus I was curious about the breed and he said all 3 of his are wonderful family pets, extremely smart, easy to train and loyal/protective of the family, but not aggressive, and all 3 were offleash with no issues towards other humans or dogs. I suppose each and every dog, or family pack for that matter can be different, but this family had small children and he said he's never not trusted the dogs around small kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts