Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Kane got his first real wound this weekend. Yesterday he and Pepper went running over to the fence when we got home and started barking at the neighbour's dog through the fence. It's a bad habit of Pepper's. She and the neighbour's dog have dug a small hole so they can stick their noses underneath and bark at each other. We try to stop it, but it's such a hard habit to break.

So anyway, we got home and they ran to the fence (Kane just follows Pepper's lead). I was still in the driveway getting something out of the car and I heard them start up. I sighed, but needed to finish what I was doing. Then I heard this yelping. I thought maybe one of them just nipped at the other or something but it went on. Then I thought it was the neighbour's dog. Then I realized it was Kane and went running into the back yard thinking maybe the dog had gotten under the fence and was attacking, but I find Kane just limping around and Pepper staring at him. This is the scrape he got:

It was all red when I first saw it, but looks better in this picture. It's not deep - just the top layer of skin scraped off. I suspect he stuck it under the fence and then when he stood up it got stuck and he panicked and ripped it out from under the fence :-( Poor guy.

I don't think it requires a vet visit. I'm cleaning it out twice a day with an antiseptic, but he just wants to lick it off.

We're going to have to do something different with the fence situation. We've already tried filling in the hole with bricks and dirt, covering it with logs, etc., but they just keep digging it out We even had a temporary fence up around that area for most of the summer because we were trying to get the grass to grow back there. It's down now though and it's back to their old habits :-(

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I sure that stung when he yanked his paw away. Doesn't look too bad though, I'd probably just keep it rinsed clean and discourage licking.

For the fence, have you considered burying chicken wire? You fold the into an L shape and have the top attached to the fence and the bottom of the L is laid flat on the ground and either buried or you can run a layer of patio stones or similar over it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried laying chicken wire just on the ground and filling it in over top but that didn't work. I think I will try your idea Shell. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts