Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kabota killed one of his toys yesterday:

and my niece grabbed the squeaker and started playing with it.

What was that?

What was that?

Do you know what that was?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe .... Look at that inquisitive face! He is so handsome! Does he have any Collie in him? That one side view of his muzzle made me wonder. :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm told he's a border collie x golden retriever. The vet has him listed as a golden retriever mix as well. He acts, bays and shrieks like a beagle, however, so no idea.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I'm told he's a border collie x golden retriever. The vet has him listed as a golden retriever mix as well. He acts, bays and shrieks like a beagle, however, so no idea.
I believe your vet is on to something! Lol! Having had so many Collies in my time ... I can spot a Collie Muzzle blind folded! Lol! :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How cute!
He is a very handsome guy!
How old is Kabota?
Thank you! He's between 3 and 5. He's a rescue I got 8 months ago, so I'll never know for sure.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I believe your vet is on to something! Lol! Having had so many Collies in my time ... I can spot a Collie Muzzle blind folded! Lol! :D
I think he has a collie tail/back end, myself:

Have you ever thought about doing a DNA test? Not really accurate, but definitely fun.
Honestly, if they were even halfway accurate, I'd do one in a heartbeat. Kabota looks like one thing and acts like something completely different, it'd be interesting to know what he actually is a mix of.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our Chi does an almost immediate squeaker-ectomy on new toys she gets. She acts like a kid going for the prize in a cereal box. Her seam ripper teeth make it a quick task.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
He is seriously so similar to Biscuit in that profile shot! She even has the same sharp divide between the shortish fur on his haunches and the fluffy ridiculous britches. And the giant feathery tail. She also has the "angel wings" of lighter fur across her shoulders, although she's more reddish than Kabota is and she has pinkish brown leather, not black. She also does not act like the miniature golden retriever people seem to think she is!

Here's the closest to a profile shot I can find.

Untitled by Hamandeggs23, on Flickr

FWIW he is almost certainly not just a border collie/golden cross. Because black fur is dominant (and the golden fur gene is recessive), those dogs are almost always black or black-and-white. I do think I see hound in his face in profile.

We did a Wisdom Panel on Biscuit and at the time I thought it was a bunch of hogwash, but now I'm not so sure. It came back as about 60% retriever (lab, golden, Chesapeake), then 8% Chinook (meh), 7% Sheltie (very believable), 10% terrier/schnauzer (meh). I would have expected much more herder in her (based on looks and behavior both). I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk, but it was fun.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chinook? You know, the way those panels work, they have 100 breeds of dogs, so if her breed isn't one of those 100, it will display whatever of those 100 was one of the breeds used to create that breed. I.e., if breed X is beagle mixed with golden retriever mixed with chow chow and she's 50% breed X, but they only have chow chow on their list, it'll show up as 13% chow chow. I wonder if any of those breeds were the base for another breed?

Honestly, from that above shot, if you switched leashes on me, I might not notice for a minute (that's the angle I get on a walk, too). Kabota has wider ribs, and he's lighter, but really, really similar.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I know, Chinook, like what the heck? She came from a high-kill shelter in rural SC - not a lot of rare northern Chinooks roaming around.

That exact thought has occurred to me, though. Wisdom Panel has a pretty large breed library, but they probably only have a few DNA index samples for some of those breeds. Several of her breeds are likely component breeds for the Toller, which is really what she looks most like. I've had people with purebred Tollers come up to me and say she must be one. I don't think she's a purebred anything, and even a Toller cross is not the most likely thing given where she's from, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if she really was a Toller x.

The other day there was a (generic brown house) spider crawling on the outside of the shower door, so I did the oh so totally normal thing and called the dog. I pointed to the spider and Biscuit killed and ate it immediately. Does anyone know what weirdo breeds excel at bug-killing? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts