Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm writing to you all in utter heartbreak. I met my sweet little shihpoo at 3 months and found out at 4 months that he was in kidney failure. We were already madly in love at the point so there is no way I was giving up. We changed his diet to K/D renal health canned food, we give him one azodyl pill a day (he thinks they are treats) and sometimes administer fluids from home. By doing an ultrasound- we discovered both of his kidneys were genetically damaged. Up until last week you would not have known that this little guy was sick. He has so much energy, loves going on walks and gets so excited when I say the words apple or carrots. He knows more than 30 words- hes extremely intelligent- he's honestly a wonderful pup. We're so blessed and to think we wont have him much longer is ripping me to shreads.

As of late, he has been pretty lethargic- and looks sleepy often. He still has his bursts of energy, playing with all of his toys, diving into his beds and so on. His stool is normal (goes at least twice a day) and he urinates quite frequently. His appetite has been great- he eats multiple small meals a day. I began to notice his trembling and shaking- its not constant but it happens at any given point throughout the day.

Is this the beginning of the end for my sweet little jedi? He has been the biggest blessing to us and is such a great companion. He howls at the door if the doorbell rings to let us know someone is near. He wakes us up with a million kisses in bed to let us know its time to go out. If I take him on a flight - he curls up in a ball before takeoff and knows its naptime. If he sees/hears me crying he runs up to me and sniffs my eye sockets for tears and tries to lick them away.

I love him so much- has anyone been through this? Any suggestions from people who have given their dog or puppy a good quality of life with a homecooked diet or any other medicines for kidney disease? I know ultimately we will lose our baby early on but I'm not ready to say goodbye before his 1st birthday. We just want some more time- and of course we want our baby as comfortable as possible. Please help us.

With love,
Marina

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor baby. While I don't have experience with you're specific situation, I do have a senior dog in kidney failure. Your vet will be able to provide you with the best guidance, but I have also received good information and support from a website owned and maintained by a nutritionist who specializes in kidney issues. http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html

The site owner will respond to any questions you may have regarding diet, medications, etc. Her approach is more of a holistic nature. She has information regarding commercial, raw and home cooked foods as well as lots of other information. If you do contact her, be prepared to include all test results and medication as well as dosages, etc.

I hope and pray you find the best quality of life for him. As hard as it is, I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you are providing him with good care and a great home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much 3doglady. Can anyone else speak on their experiences with renal failure? Anything would help.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. Sorry this is a little late too.

We had a shihpoo named Phoebe for almost 6 years. When she was born, we adopted her and a friends of ours adopted one of her brothers. The brother died very quickly after having gotten really attached to the kids in their family - very sad. They found out that he was born with virtually 0 kidney function. Once we heard that, we had Phoebe tested - blood test and an ultrasound. Our vet found out that she only had 25% kidney function - one kidney didn't even develop. So he put her on dry K/D. For most of her life, she had almost no problems. Every once in a while, she would have a little vomiting but that would clear up almost right away. About a month ago, we took her in for a checkup - blood test, etc. The vet said she was iron deficient so we started giving her some canned food, chicken livers and some vitamins. He also gave us a bag of iv fluids to run for 10 days. She had some calcium deposits on her teeth too. Two weekends ago, she got really sick - lots of vomiting and diarrhea - and then she stopped eating. I took her back in and the blood test came back with bad results - her kidney had pretty much stopped functioning. When we first tested Phoebe, the vet told us she would probably only live for two years so six years was great. Back then we decided that we wouldn't let her suffer and so we made the decision right away to have her put down. She had already not eaten for 3 days and she looked miserable. It was very sad.

She was the dog you always wanted. Full of energy, so affectionate, very communicative, loved to be around people. It's only been 5 days without her - coming home to no dog is no fun.

Hoping Jedi recovers.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm writing to you all in utter heartbreak. I met my sweet little shihpoo at 3 months and found out at 4 months that he was in kidney failure. We were already madly in love at the point so there is no way I was giving up. We changed his diet to K/D renal health canned food, we give him one azodyl pill a day (he thinks they are treats) and sometimes administer fluids from home. By doing an ultrasound- we discovered both of his kidneys were genetically damaged. Up until last week you would not have known that this little guy was sick. He has so much energy, loves going on walks and gets so excited when I say the words apple or carrots. He knows more than 30 words- hes extremely intelligent- he's honestly a wonderful pup. We're so blessed and to think we wont have him much longer is ripping me to shreads.

As of late, he has been pretty lethargic- and looks sleepy often. He still has his bursts of energy, playing with all of his toys, diving into his beds and so on. His stool is normal (goes at least twice a day) and he urinates quite frequently. His appetite has been great- he eats multiple small meals a day. I began to notice his trembling and shaking- its not constant but it happens at any given point throughout the day.

Is this the beginning of the end for my sweet little jedi? He has been the biggest blessing to us and is such a great companion. He howls at the door if the doorbell rings to let us know someone is near. He wakes us up with a million kisses in bed to let us know its time to go out. If I take him on a flight - he curls up in a ball before takeoff and knows its naptime. If he sees/hears me crying he runs up to me and sniffs my eye sockets for tears and tries to lick them away.

I love him so much- has anyone been through this? Any suggestions from people who have given their dog or puppy a good quality of life with a homecooked diet or any other medicines for kidney disease? I know ultimately we will lose our baby early on but I'm not ready to say goodbye before his 1st birthday. We just want some more time- and of course we want our baby as comfortable as possible. Please help us.

With love,
Marina

1 - 5 of 5 Posts