Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just adopted Mandie, a two year old dachsund/lab mix. She's really a fantastic girl. The rescue group gave her all her shots and she was just recently spayed, just a few days ago (we got her yesterday). I understand she's probably still a little uncomfortable; however, she hasn't eaten her food yet. She's taken treats from hubby and myself, so we know she eats. We made sure to buy the exact food the rescue had been feeding her and we fed her when we had dinner last night and this morning, but no go. She did sit and watch us while we ate dinner last night, so I'm thinking in her former home she might have gotten fed human food, which I'm super against. My thinking is that she'll eat when she's hungry. As of right now, all she's done is lay on the couch. She does love her walks, though, so is she maybe just trying to heal from being fixed?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How recent was the spay? When my dog had surgery (not a spay or neuter, but still had to be anesthetized), he didn't go back to regular eating for several days. In fact, when I tried to get him to eat before he was ready, he ended up throwing up what I encouraged him to eat.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the exact date but her belly is still shaved and instead of stitches, she has glue and that hasn't dissolved completely.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Don't worry too much. Keep putting food down for her at regular intervals, and take up the food bowl after 15 minutes. She's probably just stressed, but she knows when and from where food is coming and she'll eat when she feels ready. Dogs can go hungry for several days, so don't stress out about it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a clean food bowl! After our walk this morning Mandie came in and polished off her entire bowl of food. Her poo is a little soft but I'm pretty sure that's what happens after a few days of not eating. Hubby and I were super excited and now she's contently passed out on the recliner after much whining when daddy left. Such a daddy's girl. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts