Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have recently been thinking about getting another dog. I've been looking on our area shelter website and checking Craig's List daily... today, there was a lady on Craig's List who was "rehoming" a "Rescued" Chihuahua. So I contacted her, and he sounded like a really nice dog. I called her to set up a time to go and meet him. She told me that she was trying to start a rescue for dogs and she currently owned two dogs and had (I think) three she was trying to find homes for. She said she has contracts and everything that tell what she knows abot the dog, and any other info. She also said if things did not work out w/ him, she would take him back, and that sometimes her and her husband have paid people to take their dogs instead of taking them to the shelter.
Well, I thought this sounded pretty good and like the lady was being pretty responsible and helping dogs. So my husband and I went out to look at the dog. He was a 5 month old chihuahua, she said he was purebred and had papers for him. He was VERY skiddish, which is fine, and understandable for the breed, he probably had had a lot of stimulation recently too. She told us that she had only had him since the day before, and that they try to find homes for them as soon as possible. Well, when we first got to the place, there was a Husky in a SMALL kennel outside of the house, and the kennel was FILTHY! The dog looked like he hadn't been groomed or taken care of or anything... so that was kind of a red flag. Then, we found out that this chihuahua pup wasn't neutered... shouldn't one of the first things a legitimate rescue do is to get a "purebred puppy w/ papers" neutered?? She was asking a "rehoming fee" of $200.... it just seems to me that after only having this dog for one day, that is an awful lot... she told us that she had just talked to a man with two puggles he was getting rid of, and she was going to be taking them in, it just seems like she is using the name of a "rescue" to sell her dogs! I mean, what if we were from a puppy mill and took that puppy home today!
We decided against getting the puppy. But, I'm just wondering what everyone else's opinion of this is.. I mean am I overreacting? I guess I don't know how rescues really work.. but something about this seemed fishy....

·
Super Moderator
12,176 Posts
She's not a rescue. She's a reseller.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would not buy from this person. She is a classic reseller, as already stated. This person finds any animals they can, strays, pets from people on craigs list by saying she will give them a good home herself (then gives them away) or spews lies about an adoption place she will be starting, or some will actually steal dogs from yards to sell.

Up to you, but it shouts: greedy reseller. If she was really pationate about her dogs, they would ALL be in good shape and the fee would probably be less than $200, IMO.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
the fee would probably be less than $200, IMO.
Not necessarily.....but there would be a good reason for the high adoption price. The dog would be neutered, have all vet work done, maybe have gotten a dental, etc. And, like you said, ALL the pets in the home would be well cared for if his person really cared about animals.

I agree; run far away, do not do business with this person. And if you think any of the animals were being neglected, contact the proper animal welfare people in your area.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I hope you did call animal control on this woman for having unfit conditions that the dogs are living in. She could be a reseller as others have stated but also a hoarder to. Neither is good for the animals welfare. The best thing that can happen to people like this is that they have animal control rescue the animals and put them up for adoption. A real rescue looking for a $200 adoption is not out of line as long as the dog has had all it's shots, a complete physical exam with all medical issues addressed and spayed or neutered.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Our county in IL has had enough of that rescue shelter/kennel etc stuff. They have had 3 or 4 of people from Chicago area that move into our county and then want to either start a kennel or a rescue program. When they get here they usually have anywhere from 4 to 15 dogs with them. Most say that the dogs are theirs and most are not neutered/spayed. The county had a helluva fight closing the last one down after court visits etc.

The county now has a 250.00 county license plus other assorted fees that mount to approximately 1500.00 then the county reports to Dept Of Agriculture and state steps in and there must be a kennel built that has to pass inspection. This eliminates the working out of home program. So far they have stopped everybody.

I had a woman call me the other day that said she had moved into the county and according to her she was out in the boonies. She wanted to know how I got my county kennel license.

She told me the shelter story and I asked about her kennel runs etc and she said she did not have any as she kept dogs in her home. I like to play stupid(it comes naturally)so I just let her talk and she tells me she will have no trouble getting the state license but the county's is so expensive. What can I tell her, how did I get mine. Well in order to get a state license you must build a kennel with all that entails and it must pass a strict inspection from DOA, so obviously she is lying to me because it's not possible to get license without kennel, that's why they call it a kennel license. She was crying/complaining about how she can't afford the 1500.00 and I think a conservative figure to build a small 15 run kennel would be between 40,000.00 to 75,000.00. That is a low guesstimate only

She was very surprised when I told her I didn't have a county license as I had started my kennel 30 years before the county licensing program started (I was grandfathered in) and I had had a state license since state had started licensing.(35 or so years)

I did get her name as I told her if I can think of a way to help her I would get in touch with her. I apologize, but that was the reason for the acting stupid routine. I have a file I call Garbage breeders/Jerks to which she has been added. I will give her name to my inspector next trip and he can get in touch with her. Just in case she is doing something she shouldn't be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts