Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding a mixture of NV and Primal raw food for the past year and recently have been reading into and thinking about switching over to prey model raw. Tonight I decided to give it a try...from what I've been told you are supposed to start with chicken for the first month and not give anything else. Because of my dogs size I was told to start with chicken wings...
Is this correct information or should I be adding other supplements and different meats earlier than a month from now? Also, all of my dogs are used to eating three times a day, when I took out the chicken wings for them tonight they were huge for them, probably the equivalent amount of their entire days worth of food....so my question is, do you break them apart or let them chew on it for a while and then take it back and do that three times a day? I'm just not sure where to go from here?

My second oldest girl, Jewelina, absolutely LOVED it! She ate her food right up....my youngest, Javelin, also ate her food right away. My oldest boy, would chew on it but more so like a bully stick, he didn't really get that he was supposed to eat it...I don't know if it's because the chicken skin was too tough for him or if it's just because he isn't used to tearing his meat apart? My smallest girl, Jesamine, wouldn't touch it. I tried and tried to get her to eat it and she wanted absolutely nothing to do it. So, I'm thinking I may have to keep her and maybe my oldest boy on pre-made raw and switch my other two on prey model raw unless I can think of some way to get them to eat it....

For those of you that feed prey model raw do you have any ideas or tips for a beginner? I really want to make sure I do this right and do not want to screw up their diet because they are doing SO well on NV and Primal. I just think, if I could get them on it, they would do EVEN BETTER on Prey Model Raw...not to mention it would be LOADS cheaper!

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much for your patience with me and for your time!!:)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well wings are good for getting the bone requirements in the meal but not really as the entire meal. I would let them work at the wing first, then half way ( depending on size and what you see in stool over the next few days... * chalky means too much bone*) offer up a piece of chicken breast with chicken livers, don't forget the offal in the ratio. They can't just eat meat and bone, they need organ meats as well.

OR

If you can find a grinder ( wouldnt have to be an expensive one because you will be focusing mostly on softer bones anyways for your guys) and you could pre grind everything together.
For my Cocker spaniel, his bone ratio is a chicken back with leg attached and a few cubes of chicken breast with a liver ( or half if its a larger one) next meal he may get a few wings as apposed to the full back and leg, this balances out. If he gets too much bone first feeding, he gets less next feeding.

I'm not sure on this one, but perhaps in the evening you could feed the wings and during the day feed the meat and offal part of it, but look into that more, I'm not sure if that would be too much variation to keep it semi balanced.

Hope some of this helped in some way, I tend to babble about raw.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well wings are good for getting the bone requirements in the meal but not really as the entire meal. I would let them work at the wing first, then half way ( depending on size and what you see in stool over the next few days... * chalky means too much bone*) offer up a piece of chicken breast with chicken livers, don't forget the offal in the ratio. They can't just eat meat and bone, they need organ meats as well.

OR

If you can find a grinder ( wouldnt have to be an expensive one because you will be focusing mostly on softer bones anyways for your guys) and you could pre grind everything together.
For my Cocker spaniel, his bone ratio is a chicken back with leg attached and a few cubes of chicken breast with a liver ( or half if its a larger one) next meal he may get a few wings as apposed to the full back and leg, this balances out. If he gets too much bone first feeding, he gets less next feeding.

I'm not sure on this one, but perhaps in the evening you could feed the wings and during the day feed the meat and offal part of it, but look into that more, I'm not sure if that would be too much variation to keep it semi balanced.

Hope some of this helped in some way, I tend to babble about raw.
See...that was what I thought too but when I was talking to a man who feeds raw he said to just feed them chicken wings straight for the first month and then after that start adding in organs and things like that...
So, you are saying I should maybe start feeding chicken breast with some organs now?

As to grinding, I am pretty positive if I ground the food my smallest and pickiest eater would eat it as she eats the pre-made raw food...and I know my oldest boy would eat it as he seems to like the taste, just doesn't quite get how to tear it off the bone. I am wondering though, if I grind it or cut it up, does this affect the benefit they are supposed to get concerning their teeth? That was one of the reasons I wanted to get them off pre-made raw as I heard that prey model raw was just so much better for their teeth?

My biggest boy is 5 pounds, my others are 4 pounds, 3 pounds and 2 pounds...so, none of them eat a TON of food and even a chicken wing, like I said, seems to big for them.

I thought, I had read somewhere you were supposed to add in a egg or cottage cheese, different things to give variety? Should I be doing that now or doing that at all?

Also, all of mine really enjoy fruits and vegetables...I know dogs don't "NEED" them but mine really like them, like a treat....
Can I keep including these or will this deter from a prey model raw diet?

I've looked in book stores and libraries in my area and I can't find anything on raw feeding. What I've found online seems to be geared towards bigger dogs so the things they say to feed are just WAY too big for mine so I am kind of at a loss...

I want to make this switch but sort of feel like I don't know what I'm doing :rolleyes:

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...please feel free to BABBLE away...I need it!! :)

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I have small dogs. Two of them came to us with many missing teeth. So I end up grinding whole chickens for them.

Here's what I do....maybe some of it will work for you. If they have been eating pre-made raw then they are probably getting organs in that food so I would start by purchasing whole chickens (the larger roasting kind are more meaty, also look for ones that don't have the "15% added broth to enhance flavor" stuff in them...Costco usually has Foster Farms chickens in my area for 99 cents per pound)

I have a Tasin TS-108 grinder, don't even know if they make them anymore, got it through a tool shop. But hunting/camping places like Cabela has grinders too. None of the grinders will guarantee (or suggest) that you should grind bones. But as long as you look at the parts and be sure that the worm drive (looks like a giant, spiral screw) and the blades are metal you'll be fine for chickens.

Most chickens come with a bit of organ meat in the cavity of the bird. I use that and based on the total weight of chicken I'm grinding that day (usually 20-25 pounds so it lasts for over a month) I put in at least 1-1/2 pounds of additional chicken liver and one pound of additional chicken organs. Most grocery stores have the chicken organs right next to the buckets of chicken liver. I know the guideline is for 10% of the meal to be organ meat. But since I feed the dogs boneless muscle meat (beef, pork, lamb) in the evenings they don't get any organ meat in those meals. So I work on a 20% organ content for the chicken meal.

So I hack up the chickens into pieces that are small enough to fit in the chute of the grinder, feed a little chicken, a little organ, bony cuts, mixed with meaty cuts...I have a huge bowl to catch all the grind (and you should experiment with the grinding plates, grinders usually come with 3 plates that will grind meat in different coarseness, figure out which will work best for your dogs), when all is ground do a really good mixing of the entire contents, then dish up into plastic freezer containers. I bought 20 containers in a package at Walmart that have held up for a few years now. I think they are about 16 oz containers. One container will last for about 3 days for the 3 dogs and 1 cat...the dogs get chicken one meal per day and the cat gets chicken for both meals every day.

Since you are already feeding the ground pre-made stuff you have an idea how much you should be feeding so I just keep the container of chicken in the fridge in a plastic shoebox thing. As your dogs transition from chicken only (I'd stick with it for 2 weeks, or a bit longer if they are having any hershey squirts out the back) then you can add other things into your shoebox. I keep a bottle of Grizzly salmon oil, I have a container that I use to pull out the muscle meat to defrost for the second meal of the day, and if I want to remind myself to feed an egg, yogurt, tripe, leftovers...I put that in the shoebox too.

Other things you can feed your little dogs as you go down the road is fish (my dogs love canned mackerel...you find it near the tuna in the grocery store), any kind of boneless muscle meat (I cut up into smaller pieces for the older girls without teeth), canned tripe (not a whole meal of it, just a supplement), eggs, ...

As far as chewing the bones...my jury is out on that issue. The dogs with bad teeth came to us needing dentals every six months and it always involved extractions as well. Both of them were with breeders feeding high quality kibbles. Since we have transitioned to raw neither of them has needed more than a light scraping and polish of the canine teeth (can be done at home) and the cat has not needed an annual dental either. My dogs do get chicken wings, necks, legs to eat a few times each week...sometimes (weather permitting to eat outside), and once a month I buy a slab of beef back ribs (the kind you bbq), cut them into single ribs with the meat and bone, let them gnaw the meat off, and then they each have a recreational bone for a few days in the house. But overall I think the teeth stay cleaner because there are no carbohydrates (that turn into sugar as they digest) to feed the bacteria that form the plaque on the teeth. There have been months in a row that my dogs have not had any bones to chew on and their teeth are fine.

fruits/veggies...I don't feed them as routine. But if there is something that's been hanging around the fruit bowl too long for humans to want it anymore or they're giving me the "eye" as I'm eating an apple...I'm fine with them having it as a little treat. If your dogs like it I think it's fine. But with such small dogs be sure you aren't sabotaging the regular meals with too many treats. My dogs also get the last bits of cottage cheese, any dried out brick cheese (you know, like when the cheddar brick gets dried out on the edges and you cut it off), yogurt past the "eat by" date, little bits of leftovers here and there.

So I would stick with chicken only for the first 2 weeks or so. Then you can try a different species every week or so. When I introduced new food I stuck with one meal per day (and still do) as the ground chicken. The other meal can be just about anything. In the beginning don't offer too many new things every day. Feed beef as the second meal for 3-5 days, then try something else for 3-5 days...you want to watch if something is not working for any one of the dogs. I found that none of mine like the cheap (salty) turkeys they give away during the holidays, all of them vomit. And one of mine will explode out the back end within minutes of finishing a meal of lamb. So you need to keep a little notebook in the beginning to keep track of little things like this, especially since you have so many dogs.

Have I blabbered enough???!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have small dogs. Two of them came to us with many missing teeth. So I end up grinding whole chickens for them.

Here's what I do....maybe some of it will work for you. If they have been eating pre-made raw then they are probably getting organs in that food so I would start by purchasing whole chickens (the larger roasting kind are more meaty, also look for ones that don't have the "15% added broth to enhance flavor" stuff in them...Costco usually has Foster Farms chickens in my area for 99 cents per pound)

I have a Tasin TS-108 grinder, don't even know if they make them anymore, got it through a tool shop. But hunting/camping places like Cabela has grinders too. None of the grinders will guarantee (or suggest) that you should grind bones. But as long as you look at the parts and be sure that the worm drive (looks like a giant, spiral screw) and the blades are metal you'll be fine for chickens.

Most chickens come with a bit of organ meat in the cavity of the bird. I use that and based on the total weight of chicken I'm grinding that day (usually 20-25 pounds so it lasts for over a month) I put in at least 1-1/2 pounds of additional chicken liver and one pound of additional chicken organs. Most grocery stores have the chicken organs right next to the buckets of chicken liver. I know the guideline is for 10% of the meal to be organ meat. But since I feed the dogs boneless muscle meat (beef, pork, lamb) in the evenings they don't get any organ meat in those meals. So I work on a 20% organ content for the chicken meal.

So I hack up the chickens into pieces that are small enough to fit in the chute of the grinder, feed a little chicken, a little organ, bony cuts, mixed with meaty cuts...I have a huge bowl to catch all the grind (and you should experiment with the grinding plates, grinders usually come with 3 plates that will grind meat in different coarseness, figure out which will work best for your dogs), when all is ground do a really good mixing of the entire contents, then dish up into plastic freezer containers. I bought 20 containers in a package at Walmart that have held up for a few years now. I think they are about 16 oz containers. One container will last for about 3 days for the 3 dogs and 1 cat...the dogs get chicken one meal per day and the cat gets chicken for both meals every day.

Since you are already feeding the ground pre-made stuff you have an idea how much you should be feeding so I just keep the container of chicken in the fridge in a plastic shoebox thing. As your dogs transition from chicken only (I'd stick with it for 2 weeks, or a bit longer if they are having any hershey squirts out the back) then you can add other things into your shoebox. I keep a bottle of Grizzly salmon oil, I have a container that I use to pull out the muscle meat to defrost for the second meal of the day, and if I want to remind myself to feed an egg, yogurt, tripe, leftovers...I put that in the shoebox too.

Other things you can feed your little dogs as you go down the road is fish (my dogs love canned mackerel...you find it near the tuna in the grocery store), any kind of boneless muscle meat (I cut up into smaller pieces for the older girls without teeth), canned tripe (not a whole meal of it, just a supplement), eggs, ...

As far as chewing the bones...my jury is out on that issue. The dogs with bad teeth came to us needing dentals every six months and it always involved extractions as well. Both of them were with breeders feeding high quality kibbles. Since we have transitioned to raw neither of them has needed more than a light scraping and polish of the canine teeth (can be done at home) and the cat has not needed an annual dental either. My dogs do get chicken wings, necks, legs to eat a few times each week...sometimes (weather permitting to eat outside), and once a month I buy a slab of beef back ribs (the kind you bbq), cut them into single ribs with the meat and bone, let them gnaw the meat off, and then they each have a recreational bone for a few days in the house. But overall I think the teeth stay cleaner because there are no carbohydrates (that turn into sugar as they digest) to feed the bacteria that form the plaque on the teeth. There have been months in a row that my dogs have not had any bones to chew on and their teeth are fine.

fruits/veggies...I don't feed them as routine. But if there is something that's been hanging around the fruit bowl too long for humans to want it anymore or they're giving me the "eye" as I'm eating an apple...I'm fine with them having it as a little treat. If your dogs like it I think it's fine. But with such small dogs be sure you aren't sabotaging the regular meals with too many treats. My dogs also get the last bits of cottage cheese, any dried out brick cheese (you know, like when the cheddar brick gets dried out on the edges and you cut it off), yogurt past the "eat by" date, little bits of leftovers here and there.

So I would stick with chicken only for the first 2 weeks or so. Then you can try a different species every week or so. When I introduced new food I stuck with one meal per day (and still do) as the ground chicken. The other meal can be just about anything. In the beginning don't offer too many new things every day. Feed beef as the second meal for 3-5 days, then try something else for 3-5 days...you want to watch if something is not working for any one of the dogs. I found that none of mine like the cheap (salty) turkeys they give away during the holidays, all of them vomit. And one of mine will explode out the back end within minutes of finishing a meal of lamb. So you need to keep a little notebook in the beginning to keep track of little things like this, especially since you have so many dogs.

Have I blabbered enough???!!! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your time and for all of that information!
I am absolutely going to give what you said a try and keeping a journaly is a fantastic idea!
Thanks again and I'll let you know how things are going once I get all the supplies/food I need to get this started!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts