Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy [email protected]!! I took Bella out to pee, and a coyote hauled butt across the road right in front of us!

I had NO idea they were around here. I don't think Bella saw it...but she was catching a scent. She didn't seem too interested, but got her inside before she decided she was.

Yikes. Fox and fisher cats are one thing, but that was a little unnerving....but kinda neat at the same time. Although unfortunately that might explain all the recent missing pet posters around town. =(

I don't think I'll leave her alone to do her business in the morning anymore.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I remember when I was living at my parent's place for a bit there was a couple coyotes that lived somewhere along the creek. I actually saw them playing around at night from time to time. There were notes posted up to warn the neighborhood about their presence and the threat they pose to smaller pets. There were also missing pet posters.

On one of our walks Buchman picked up what was distinctively a cat carcass. Despite the torn and rotten shape it was in, it had very very similar colorings as one of the more recent missing cat posters............

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The coyotes here are wily because everybody shoots them. So they don't brazenly show themselves. I've only seen a few live coyotes, usually running fast. But one time I saw what I thought was a coyote walking right down the sidewalk in front of my house. . .but it was chubby and had a collar on, and was slightly fluffier than most 'yotes. So it had to be somebody's dog. I wonder if it was mixed with coyote or just a really coyote-looking dog.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Before I got my dog there was this big coyote that hopped the fence into my backyard. Luckily no one was outside when we saw it and it went away on it's own since we decided not to chase it off.

Nowadays, I see them out in the field near my fence but they don't dare hop it, because there's always a barking dog, one that will ,without a doubt, kill a coyote if it comes in.
However, one has been getting awfully close to the fence and doesn't seem to mind the barking of my dog, which is unusual for coyotes in our area, I have a feeling one of the neighbors must be feeding it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to find a way to warn the area to keep their pets inside. I don't want the coyote(s) hurt, though. Although I don't think there are many "shoot 'em all" people in this area.

It was definitely not a pet dog or a fox (all these things were going through my head in the five seconds it took it to run out of sight). You can tell by the way they move...can't explain it though. It looked healthy....don't know if that's good or bad.

I'm still in awe. Not sure if I should be overly cautious or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was driving on the highway late at night (must have about 1am) and I saw what I thought was a dog on the side of the road. So I pulled over and grabbed the mcnuggets I had left over from lunch, and started walking, calling it towards me, when it got about 5 feet away I realized it was a coyote. I've never moved that fast to get into my car.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Wow, a coyote let you within 5 feet? Brave critter.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I was driving on the highway late at night (must have about 1am) and I saw what I thought was a dog on the side of the road. So I pulled over and grabbed the mcnuggets I had left over from lunch, and started walking, calling it towards me, when it got about 5 feet away I realized it was a coyote. I've never moved that fast to get into my car.
Did you atleast give him the mcnuggets? :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It totally let me get close, which is partly why I didn't realize it was a coyote until it hit the light from open car door. I thought they were supposed to be timid/shy.
Yea....that probably wasn't a good sign. Did it get hit or just standing there?

·
Registered
232 Posts
A coyote will not hurt an adult human, there is no need to be afraid. I had one within 10 feet of Oliver and I a week or so ago. It was trying to figure out what we were (we were sitting near a slough watching the wildlife) I was soooo mad that I didn't have my camera, they are absolutely GORGEOUS this time of year, but I was in no way afraid of it. it took off in a heck of a hurry once it realized what we were :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea....that probably wasn't a good sign. Did it get hit or just standing there?
It was just standing by the side of the highway when I first saw it. Then I pulled over and reversed. I threw some nuggets pieces towards the back end of my car and beyond to make a trail towards me. It would eat and come a little closer, I didn't see any injuries and it wasn't limping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They're pretty common here too. I've never heard of one hurting an adult but they are a problem with cattle, smaller dogs and cats for people living outside the city. Never been within 5 feet of one though, that would be amazing!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
An adult (a young recording artist) was killed in the Maritimes a few years ago by two coyotes. She was hiking in a park. A pack is something I avoid if I am on my own.

. . . Bancroft said coyotes team up to take down deer, and it's possible the hiker didn't even realize what was happening.

"They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened," he said. "They may have been youngsters. They just may not have had a lot of experience, or they may have just capitalized on a situation where a young person was acting vulnerable and very frightened by their presence. . . "
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html

I see them here, singly and in packs, at least a couple of times a week.

SOB

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Our coyotes are b r a v e. And, like I've mentioned in a post waybackwhen, I don't trust them to act like wild animals. I've seen them lure dogs into a group and kill them, seen them follow people on walks, one went as far as to walk into my father's yard, right up to his dog and attack him. I've had them rush me, and walk right up to me.
Most other wild animals here will either be wary of you or turn tail and run. Not the coyotes.
They really won't hesitate to come right into your yard and take your pet.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've had coyotes get close to me when I lived in el paso. I think they're used to people in some areas. Still, whenever wildlife gets that close, I think, "you know, my dog is immune to rabies, but I'm not."

·
Registered
462 Posts
Coyotes can live most anywhere. They will live off of garbage, pet food, and small pets in suburban areas as well as rabbits and such out in the woods. I have always lived in areas with coyotes. I have had some get quite close or follow my horse on trails and some are skittish. There are posts nearly every week in our local paper to keep cats and small dogs indoors because of coyotes and other wildlife.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If there is food (dogfood left outside, etc.) and no one messes with the coyote, they learn to be wary but not scared, fairly quickly. In our area, one coyote will not mess with a dog over ~50lbs. And, they typically won't mess with another animal unless there is an overwhelming advantage. Two coyotes can lure and kill large pets, and a brazen coyote can rush a cat or small dog, carrying it off fairly easily. Coyotes can easily outrun most pets, but they have been known to let a dog chase one into the woods... and it doesn't return. I haven't heard of adult humans being attacked in the suburbs, but plenty of small pets disappear.

They are scary smart and observant. I have passed single coyotes on the highway exit to my house, and it was clear that he looking at me inside of the car (smacking his lips :) ) and they seem to know when the coast is clear for hopping the back fence to steal dog food left outside.

If Bella is over 50 lbs, I don't think that she's an easy target, but you should watch her. You don't want her to be lured away. And, don't leave any food outside, maybe warning the neighbors, also. If there have been neighbors who have been 'feeding' the coyotes on purpose or by accident, the coyotes will move on in a few months after the food supply disappears.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Traveling the entire country and practically having Coyotes follow us every step of the way, I've given up fearing them. They've never once tried to harm us or our dogs. I respect them (Ma'ii is actually named after the Navajo coyote spirit). That of course does not mean I trust them. I always leash our dogs in Coyote territory and keep a weapon of some sort with us should something happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts