Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It seems to be the one plant cutting corners. I want to see the report for the other plants.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'd be interested to read a similar document from the inspection of other dog food manufacturing plants. This sounds pretty bad but really I have no frame of reference.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'd be interested to read a similar document from the inspection of other dog food manufacturing plants. This sounds pretty bad but really I have no frame of reference.
Yeah, this. I suppose I never thought of a dog food plant as a sanitary place. I have been to grain elevators (where they make livestock food as well as handle human-quality grain), and they're usually held together with duct tape and baling wire, pigeons everywhere, no thought given to sanitation.

I know a guy who works at Iams. I should ask him what it's like there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know where to find other reports. Willowy,I wonder if your friend though is going to share if there is an issue because then it could start another panic in some.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Posted on the website that showed the report. This is sick. Carelessness and endangering not just our pets, but also we as the pet owners. I'm going to send Natural Balance an e-mail about this.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Don't know where to find other reports. Willowy,I wonder if your friend though is going to share if there is an issue because then it could start another panic in some.
Well, it's not like he's releasing info to the media, LOL. I think they probably have rules about that in their employment contract (and he says it's a great job so he wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize it). I would just ask him as a matter of casual curiosity.

And I also hear things from friends who work in the meat-packing plants. They of course have stricter rules but there are still some alarming things. Unless you raise and kill your meat yourself you really have no way of knowing how it's handled.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I agree. Nothing in the report really turned me off of Diamond. I figured that dog food production buildings weren't clean, like Willowy said, I thought they were similar to grain elevators.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh I know about the meat places,kinda scary. My husband used to work for a place and it dealt with chicken and lets just say we don't really eat chicken here.

Did anyone else know about the Iams recall? I don't remember it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. I feed my boxer ( he is the absolute love of my life!!!) Taste of the wild. I did a ton of research when I got Remy as a puppy and this seemed to be a great food. He just turned two and has been in excellent health his whole life (he does have a very slight heart murmur so I have the vet check him every six months just to be careful). His food was not one of the recalled bags. Do I need to be concerned about the brand now?? He has been healthy with great skin for his entire life once I put him on this food and I dont want to change if I dont have to but of course I will do whatever it takes to keep him safe!! What are your thoughts???

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hi everyone. I feed my boxer ( he is the absolute love of my life!!!) Taste of the wild. I did a ton of research when I got Remy as a puppy and this seemed to be a great food. He just turned two and has been in excellent health his whole life (he does have a very slight heart murmur so I have the vet check him every six months just to be careful). His food was not one of the recalled bags. Do I need to be concerned about the brand now?? He has been healthy with great skin for his entire life once I put him on this food and I dont want to change if I dont have to but of course I will do whatever it takes to keep him safe!! What are your thoughts???
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I suspect the report is not unusual for a mfg. plant. It's not like Diamond has had the only recalls in years (Iams, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, etc.) If you want to be absolutely sure of the food you feed, you need to raise and process it yourself. Even then, salmonella happens. I have no intention of changing brands (also feed TOTW and my dogs do great on it.) I've tried other foods that didn't work as well for my dogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I would like to see how the other Diamond plants would do. I have a bag of 4health that didnt come from the recall plant. It still makes me nervous and I'm not feeding it to my dog right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, this. I suppose I never thought of a dog food plant as a sanitary place. I have been to grain elevators (where they make livestock food as well as handle human-quality grain), and they're usually held together with duct tape and baling wire, pigeons everywhere, no thought given to sanitation.

I know a guy who works at Iams. I should ask him what it's like there.
My brother in law used to have a pet food/supply store and went to the Iams plant before he carried their products. He said that it was spotless in fact cleaner than the potatoe chip plant that used to buy his potatoes.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My brother in law used to have a pet food/supply store and went to the Iams plant before he carried their products. He said that it was spotless in fact cleaner than the potatoe chip plant that used to buy his potatoes.
Cool. The one in North Sioux or another one?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts