Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I just had a lady from my apt. complex ask me if I could get a letter from my Vet stating that my dog was not a viscous dog breed. After being shocked and appalled I asked her is there such a thing? So she says and I quote " YES THE ONES THAT HAVE LOCK JAW AND EAT KIDS"!!!! So I looked her straight in the eye and said there are no such thing as "VISCOUS" dogs only viscous owners! Its so funny that in my experience in home installs it was in fact the small breeds that I had a problem with, come on in he won't hurt a fly. Well gotta say on three separate occasions it was these small or toy breeds that had attacked me... BAN STUPID PEOPLE NOT DOGS, RACIAL PROFILING IS WRONG! And yes she will get her letter, I love you Photo Shop!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ugh. Gimme a break. I would have slammed the door in that B's face. I learned early to never make assumptions about any dog and it makes me crazy when people do. My sister was attacked by a LAB when she was 2. The lady told us that her dog and I quote: "doesn't bite." 30 seconds later, my sister's tear duct has been ripped out and she's completely covered in blood. If your dog has teeth, they can bite. Does that mean they will? Heck no!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know just what you mean, people run up to him and ask does he bite? Ahh, yeah haven't met one yet that doesn't , but with that said will he, highly doubtful. Oh you best believe I used some colorful words!
Ugh. Gimme a break. I would have slammed the door in that B's face. I learned early to never make assumptions about any dog and it makes me crazy when people do. My sister was attacked by a LAB when she was 2. The lady told us that her dog and I quote: "doesn't bite." 30 seconds later, my sister's tear duct has been ripped out and she's completely covered in blood. If your dog has teeth, they can bite. Does that mean they will? Heck no!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Personally, I would ignore her request completely. Unless she's the property owner or manager, you owe her nothing and I wouldn't be giving her anything with any documentation on it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
For your photoshop adventure, "viscous" means "gel like liquid". "Vicious" means "dangerous".

And yeah, lockjaw is a disease in humans. All dogs have the same jaws. And I never know how to answer the "does he bite" question. Usually, I just say "no" because what they mean is "will he bite if I try to pet him?", but one little girl then asked a series of increasingly disturbing questions (what if I punch him? Jump on him? break his leg?) and now I avoid her at all costs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I would ignore her request completely. Unless she's the property owner or manager, you owe her nothing and I wouldn't be giving her anything with any documentation on it.
Well she's in fact the manager/granddaughter of the property. Its just sad cause the first thing outta her mouth was his so cute and well behaved. See he is a rott/dobie mix and by far the smartest and most obedient dog Ive ever owned at a whooping 12wks old.
I rescued the dog without seeing it first cause of my love for all animals alike, but he is in fact two of the breeds that are on the list...I my be moving faster than I thought if this super imposed letter doesn't work because I refuse for someone to tell me what I can and can't own, this is America and I spent some yrs defending it!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Whenever I'm approached by ignorant or stupid people, I feel compelled to tell the stories of how the only dogs I've ever been bitten by, or seen outright attack another dog or person have been labs, akitas, chihuahuas, poodles, collies and, my favorite, golden retrievers. People seem surprised or think I'm lying because they're not pitBULLS or Rockwylers ot big dobermins. You know, the ones that have lock jaw and eat kids. -eyeroll-

If this woman is just a neighbor, you don't owe her jackshit and and personally, like Melundie said, I would've slammed the door in her face. -.-

Lately I've had a problem with mountains of children, mainly boys joyjoy, being in my yard from sunup to sundown. They aggravate my dogs to the point where Diesel doesn't even want to come out, and he LOVES children. I can't even let Troubles outside to potty because of them. They're running and telling their parents that I have vicious dogs that try to bite them, and we've told off them and their parents.
One even went and said I was keeping a 'wolf in a cage'. You mean my white, blue eyed siberian husky, that's in her kennel, not bothering you? .-.
People.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um yeah and huskys were on the list too, when did that happen!
P.S. thanx for the support guys, and Hollow double eye roll!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sooo, I just had a lady from my apt. complex ask me if I could get a letter from my Vet stating that my dog was not a viscous dog breed. After being shocked and appalled I asked her is there such a thing? So she says and I quote " YES THE ONES THAT HAVE LOCK JAW AND EAT KIDS"!!!! So I looked her straight in the eye and said there are no such thing as "VISCOUS" dogs only viscous owners! Its so funny that in my experience in home installs it was in fact the small breeds that I had a problem with, come on in he won't hurt a fly. Well gotta say on three separate occasions it was these small or toy breeds that had attacked me... BAN STUPID PEOPLE NOT DOGS, RACIAL PROFILING IS WRONG! And yes she will get her letter, I love you Photo Shop!

Any thoughts?
Too much! I would find a place to move if possible. I too have the same mix of dog as you. I had a woman in the vets office tell me straight up that ... "Do you have any idea of what that dog can do to you!?" ... when all I stated was that "She will lick you to death!" ... with a smile on my face! Lol! :)

They should teach Canine 101 in High School as a mandatory course! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For your photoshop adventure, "viscous" means "gel like liquid". "Vicious" means "dangerous".

And yeah, lockjaw is a disease in humans. All dogs have the same jaws. And I never know how to answer the "does he bite" question. Usually, I just say "no" because what they mean is "will he bite if I try to pet him?", but one little girl then asked a series of increasingly disturbing questions (what if I punch him? Jump on him? break his leg?) and now I avoid her at all costs.
Oops...so right you are sir, theres spell check for a reason huh.lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oops...so right you are sir, theres spell check for a reason huh.lol
Sadly, spell check wouldn't catch that. Because your spelling was correct, just the wrong word. Stoopid spellcheck, it should know what you want to say. :)

And I love all dogs, its just some of the dog owners I don't like. And some non-dog owners...

·
Banned
158 Posts
Ugh! And for the record, she can't actually ask for anything or in any way change the terms of your original lease partway through, so you don't need to give her a damn thing!!! Assuming, of course, that you had the dog either included in the original lease, or if you got it after you moved in, got an addendum added (which I would assume you would, as most places require a pet deposit for additional animals).

Of course, if you don't have any paperwork stating that you were allowed the dog when you moved in, you may be able to get a letter from your vet stating that although there is no way to categorize an entire breed as vicious, she/he can vouch for this particular dogs temperament - a similar letter could be obtained from a trainer, as well. Or, if you have completed obedience training or the Canine Good Citizenship, then you could provide those certificates.

I would NOT recommend falsifying a letter, ever. The manager may choose to call the vet to confirm the details of the letter, and if they find out that you lied, then you have broken the terms of your lease by falsifying documents given to the property manager. That means that she can evict you with little or no notice (depending on local bylaws). NOT worth it! If you have never been to a trainer, can't get one to come out and meet the dog to vouch for temperament, and the vet refuses to write a letter, then you have an issue, but I can't imagine that happening.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts

Any thoughts?
Why photoshop? that is essentially forgery (if you are using your vet's letterhead with your vet's signature on it or similar). You could end up with a very very upset vet and even legal trouble.

Why not just ask your vet to provide a letter that says your dog does not have "locking jaws" (pretty easy for him to verify since no dog has locking jaws)?

Or-- does your lease allow dogs without breed limitations? Then you have the protection of the lease until the lease is up (if you're month to month, that might mean moving ASAP though).

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Whenever people ask if my dogs bite, I always say "not yet" ^.^ haha
haha. I say that he is a puppy and nips but "He hasn't bitten anyone yet..." Because he hasn't. Does that mean he won't? We're doing our best to train and socialize him, but I'm not making any promises, especially when you just leaned your giant self over and stuck your hands up in my teenie dog's face while he backed away!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Why photoshop? that is essentially forgery (if you are using your vet's letterhead with your vet's signature on it or similar). You could end up with a very very upset vet and even legal trouble.

Why not just ask your vet to provide a letter that says your dog does not have "locking jaws" (pretty easy for him to verify since no dog has locking jaws)?

Or-- does your lease allow dogs without breed limitations? Then you have the protection of the lease until the lease is up (if you're month to month, that might mean moving ASAP though).
I would go to the vet with a letter in hand that states that your GIANT min pin has not got locking jaws and has not consumed any children. In those words. And that he's quite a nice dog etc. and give that to her. Stupid is as stupid does, she'd be happy then.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
haha. I say that he is a puppy and nips but "He hasn't bitten anyone yet..." Because he hasn't. Does that mean he won't? We're doing our best to train and socialize him, but I'm not making any promises, especially when you just leaned your giant self over and stuck your hands up in my teenie dog's face while he backed away!
Oh my god I get so tired of that, why do people think they can do whatever they want to small dogs? I was holding my dog at an old friend's house the other day and her daughter comes up and grabs her head and forces her to look at her! Seriously??

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Um yeah and huskys were on the list too, when did that happen!
I KNOW, RIGHT?

Someone I know has a sibe, and while she was looking for an apartment, she was having trouble because of this. I checked on it myself, and was shocked. Siberian Huskies on a dangerous dog list? I mean it's ridiculous for any breed but commeee oonnn. One of them even had a description about how loving and friendly they are. Okay, then why are they on this list?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK heres the deal folks, Im in Nc and the bylaws here state that G.shepherds, Chows, Rotts, Dobies, Huskys, Pitts, and all bully breeds are vicious and if pick up are put down after 72hrs. As far as my lease goes its has changed in the last few months do to corporate take over. I'm not on it and neither are my two cats..
These people know who I am and this hasn't been an issue for last 3yrs! What cracks me up about the whole thing is that the day I brought him home(last wk) three
of them came up (person in question being one of them)and said "Wow, what a cute and well behaved dog you have! The one girl asked if he was a rotty and the other said now way his tail and face are too long.lol! As far as the PS goes don't really don't care about the implications and I told the Vet straight up what I was going to do if she didn't want to help(besides she said it just had to state he wasn't one of the breeds and thats all). My GF call and asked for the letter about an hr ago and the said they would write the letter but would use the breed on file, with that being said I could of told the vet he was a coon hound and thats what his records would have reflected.. Why these people want to screw with me is beyond me, I mean I see pitts all day long here and even seen a great dane on the property. Today i came across a rotty/lab on our walk as well. I'm moving to Fl in a few months but might be going sooner because it will be a cold day in hell before I give my boy up, its a done deal he's family! Don't get me wrong I love my country but this is typical of our nation to create something and than deem it harmful after years latter, like cigarettes and A.Pittbull terriers, the list goes on..

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my country but this is typical of our nation to create something and than deem it harmful after years latter, like cigarettes and A.Pittbull terriers, the list goes on..
In a country where children go hungry, the elderly are abused, and sick people are put on the street, the authorities are concerned with what breed of dogs we may or may not own.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts