Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my one dog is really...interesting XD I'm going to describe her without telling you what she looks like or any of that type of thing, and I want to know what breed you think she is, based on personality only! I want to be able to say "Oh, she behaves like a ____" haha, so I would be really grateful if you'd help me out! :3

Her name is Bella, and she loves everyone! She's 4 years old. She loves playing fetch with her tennis balls, and I use them(and other toys) to help with teaching her tricks. She likes swimming, but tends to sink instead of swim XD When she was a pup she was the kind of dog where you could take her for a mile walk, get home, she'd nap for an hour, and then be ready to go again. She's gotten better since she was a pup, but is still fairly high energy.

She isn't a shadow type dog, who follows you around everywhere. She does look to me when she needs help with something(especially toys stuck under furniture :p), but she's also a bit independent and doesn't mind having time to herself to chew on toys, watch out the window, or sunbathe.

She loves learning new tricks, and is fairly obedient, even without tricks. She does want to please, but it's not like she lives to please her owners. If she gets something in trade for it, she's good!

She LOVES food, and eats her food in a minute or two, and then licks my other dog, Bailey's bowl clean(after he's finished eating, he always finishes before her). Also, she's, for the most part, quiet. She only whines/barks out of frustration, like when she's in the pen and we have company over or the like.

She likes other dogs too, but isn't the best with them...tends to ignore them telling her to back off. Also, we had a bit of trouble potty training her, but we're good now.

If you have any questions about her not regarding her breed or size or anything, let me know :3 I really appreciate this! After I get a few answers, I'll post her breed for you :p

~Vanilla

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lab/Poodle mix? .........

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
She sounds exactly like a Tibetan Spaniel that I know - but she is not typical as most hate water. I also know a Papillon or two that would fit this description, and as well a Poodle and a few different mixbreeds (one of my mix spaniels fits this description to a T).

SOB

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sounds fairly similar to my dog. Likes fetch and playing with toys. Likes water but isn't a particularly a good swimmer. Fairly high energy and always ready to go when needed. Enjoys being with family but is just as happy to play by himself or sleep on his own. Eager learner but there should be something in it for him. Crazy about food. Is fairly quiet, only makes noise to let us know he needs something right now and we're not paying attention. Loves other dogs but is still a little crazy hyper for most older dogs so has a hard time making friends unless it is with puppies who are equally excited. We didn't really have trouble potty training though.

My dog is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :) This is really interesting! After maybe 3-4 more replies, I'll say her breed :3 Thank you all so much! :D

~Vanilla

·
Registered
559 Posts
She sounds very similar to Hobbes, but he's a mutt so no help there! Interested to hear what she is though!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'll take a stab and guess pitbull?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Dachshund, beagle or bulldog?

This could describe a lot of breeds, heh!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha thanks guys! :3 This is Bella, she's a 4 year old Shih Tzu :p She's the strangest Tzu I've ever met, I question how purebred she really is often XD I've yet to find another Tzu so willing to please, but it makes me feel kind of special because hey, I've got a Shih Tzu that comes when called! Still working on my other one...haha!

And Rescued, that's because normally they don't XD My other dog Bailey, who is your stereotypical Shih Tzu, can swim GREAT but hates it so much XD

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think dogs in general usually act the way you described. If they're happy and well adjusted, that is. A lot of behavior also has to do with training the dog rather than the breed. It could describe all of my dogs (all different breeds) except for the loving to swim..and that's mainly because they haven't had an opportunity so I don't know what they'd do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which makes perfect sense^^ But this is not the average Shih Tzu, she's been, for the most part, like this her whole life(or as long as we've had her, and we've had her since 9 weeks old or so). Which really confused me, because we've got Bailey and he's a pain in the butt to train(he's not the biggest fan, he's smart enough to know what I'm doing haha), and Bella's either not so smart or just doesn't pay attention to any of her thoughts LOL. Nobody believes me when I say I have a loyal Shih Tzu XD

~IJMB

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have had Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu x Maltese and find them quite an energetic little dog. Never had any trouble training them and have two of them in Agility right now. They are usually friendly with everyone but really like their "people". None of mine are fighters, get along with other dogs of either sex. Some of them do like to swim in the lake in the summer time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enjoys being with family but is just as happy to play by himself or sleep on his own. Eager learner but there should be something in it for him. Crazy about food. Is fairly quiet, only makes noise to let us know he needs something right now and we're not paying attention. Loves other dogs but is still a little crazy hyper for most older dogs so has a hard time making friends unless it is with puppies who are equally excited.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had Shih Tzu and Shih Tzu x Maltese and find them quite an energetic little dog. Never had any trouble training them and have two of them in Agility right now. They are usually friendly with everyone but really like their "people". None of mine are fighters, get along with other dogs of either sex. Some of them do like to swim in the lake in the summer time.
That's awesome hah :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts