Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new puppy (Cane Corso) in 3 weeks and have been researching the raw diets. Would appreciate any information anyone can share that have their CC on a raw diet, please. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jen, we (our oldest son and us) getting CC puppies the end of June this year. The breeder feeds a combination of kibble and raw, but based on our research it seems to to better to feed all raw due to the digestive times.

We are having the pups ears trimmed at 12 weeks and the vet suggested starting the raw diet after the surgery, as they prefer to have the pups eat 1/3 of their morning meal 2 hrs prior to the procedure.

When did you start your fellow on the pre-mix? What supplements do you give, please. Thank you . Terry

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Are you going to be having 2 puppies in the same house? It's really not recommended - look up littermate syndrome - it's no joke. My dogs are 2 years apart, but when we got Kane he bonded to Pepper as if she were his sibling (she was still very much a pupy mentally). Kane ended up with pretty bad separation anxiety. It's not easy to do things separately with them when there are only 2 of us in the house and we both work full time. I'm surprised the breeder would sell 2 puppies to the same household actually. Maybe I'm mistaken and you live apart?

I personally wouldn't get their ears cropped, unless you are going to be showing the dog and it's a breed requirement. It's mostly considered to be cruel now and has been banned in a lot of places, including where I live. It's a completely unnecessary cosmetic procedure. Our boy's tail is docked, but it was done early on, before we got him.

As for the food, we initially started Kane on a pre-mix raw food when we got him (around 12 weeks old), but he was having some bloody diarrhea so we put him on kibble until about a year old, then switched back to raw (which our other dog was already on). Then about a year ago we switched them both back to kibble (Acana) because I was sick of the mess and smell of the raw food. We were buying musher blocks (basically a 25lb frozen, solid block) so it wasn't exactly easy or convenient to feed 2 big dogs.

About 2 months ago we decided to try raw again, but a different brand (comes in 4lb tubs, which last our dogs 2 days). We are doing a mix of raw and kibble right now, but not together. They get raw in the mornings (rotating between chicken, turkey, and beef) and kibble in the afternoons. It's crazy expensive to feed raw to 2 85lb dogs, which is why we're doing both. It seems to be going well so far.

The supplements they're on now are in the link in my last post. Every once in a while I'll throw in a raw egg too. And probiotics when necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jen2010, Thank you, sorry for the confusion in my previous response. My son's male puppy is from one litter and our girl is from a different litter, not living in the same home but only 2 miles apart.. my son as always had males, we mostly females, except for our EM, which was a male.

The breeder stated that due to high humid conditions here in Texas the non cropped ears are more prong to infections. She stated that it is owner preference, but she preferred a circular trim.

Many of the vets here do not support raw diets. Our breeder does the same as you, but does kibble in am and raw in late afternoon. I was hoping to find a co-op for getting the raw food supplies, but todate have been unsuccessful.

I sincerely appreciate your responses and guidance. Will keep you update on progress. Puppies will be arriving late June / early July. Thank you, again and I will be asking for your guidance and thoughts as we move forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jenn 2010, will do. We have waited 17 & 15 months for my son's and our pups. Will definitively keep you posted. Thanks again for connecting, sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Jen2010, Thank you, sorry for the confusion in my previous response. My son's male puppy is from one litter and our girl is from a different litter, not living in the same home but only 2 miles apart.. my son as always had males, we mostly females, except for our EM, which was a male.

The breeder stated that due to high humid conditions here in Texas the non cropped ears are more prong to infections. She stated that it is owner preference, but she preferred a circular trim.

Many of the vets here do not support raw diets. Our breeder does the same as you, but does kibble in am and raw in late afternoon. I was hoping to find a co-op for getting the raw food supplies, but todate have been unsuccessful.

I sincerely appreciate your responses and guidance. Will keep you update on progress. Puppies will be arriving late June / early July. Thank you, again and I will be asking for your guidance and thoughts as we move forward.
Two houses nearby but not living together could actually work out really well as it gives you the chance to have play dates and training together but plenty of time apart to reduce the chances of them bonding too tightly together.

I suggest talking to a few vets about ear infections. While it is personal choice to crop or not, if you are making the choice based on a medical reason then your reason should be based on science or at least the observation of a veterinary professional. I live in a climate which has plenty of heat and humidity-- shorter season than Texas but today for example is 90 degrees and almost 50% humidity and the rest of the summer will be similar. I know tons of dogs with floppy ears of the pitty/bulldog/boxer type and I have never heard of any owner, myself included, having issues with their floppy eared dog having ear infections. The ears droop, they aren't a sealed up environment.

Premade raw will get expensive with a large dog. Raw ground (example is My Pet Carnivore's products, there are other regional suppliers) is an in-between in terms of both cost and convenience and full prey model raw can be somewhat affordable if you have a large chest freezer and connections with farmers and hunters. I fed raw for a bit to my Boxer/RR and my AST but overall I have found a quality high protein kibble to be a better fit for both diet needs and cost. I like raw and its a great treat too but don't be afraid to try a good kibble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, we will follow-up with our vets concerning the ear trim. Appreciate the info concerning raw and kibble. Jen2010 suggested the kibble she feeds, what do you give your brood, please. Thanks again for commenting and sharing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shell,

In continuing discussionings with our breeder, they suggest that we consider feeding 2 raw meals and one kibble meal. The raw meals morning and lunch and the kibble early evening, till month 6. Then decide if we want to do all raw or kibble.

Our Boston is allergic to chicken, in talking with Victor they suggest the Yukon River for both dogs. We will be picking up our new girl Thursday. Our son got his boy last week, he's 17 lbs at 8 weeks.

We Wii be posting pics next week.Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need some help with nail trimming. Meah goes wild when she hears the clip sound. Our vet wants to sedate , we are not in favor. Our son was able to get her nails trimmed today but it was a real struggle, took 45 minutes to get the 4 paws done. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You have to build positive association with the clippers first (gonna be a harder process now probably). Pick up the clippers, give her a treat, put them down, pick them up again, treat, down, up, treat, squeeze them, treat, put them down... getting closer and closer, until eventually it's clip a nail, treat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts