Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer - I've consulted/been consulting with my vet about this and there are no medical concerns. Just looking for anecdotes!

My puppy Paya has always been an itchy dog. She aggressively licks her butt, scoots, flea bites, and scratches. "Aggressively" but not "Obsessively". For example, when we go through our day the need to itch does not interrupt what she's currently doing and doesn't seem to impact her quality of life. But when there's nothing going on and she is looking for something to do, so to speak, she will start itching in various ways. She does chill and hang out, or sleep. So it's not like every moment of down time is spent itching. But it occurs frequently enough that I have noticed it pretty much daily for the last few months that I've had her. I will say that these itch episodes seem to occur when she is unsettled. Like she will stand up, chew on a bone, itch, move somewhere else, sniff the floor, itch, repeat... then eventually settle. So it's hard to say if she is unsettled because she is itchy, or she is itchy as a result of being unsettled. However it doesn't seem to occur spontaneously when she is totally settled. Like she can go hours just sleeping or lying on her bed and she won't suddenly spring up to itch.

I have done all the stuff to rule out obvious causes like parasites, anal glands, etc. Basic bloodwork is normal. She presents as a totally healthy dog - her stool has been awesome since day one, her coat is shiny, no sores. We considered allergies and speaking with my vet, it sounds like allergies can develop at any point in a dog's life and present itself in different ways. I guess I can go for an allergy shot or something and see if it impacts her. But because she's still a puppy and this hasn't really negatively impacted her, I've been waiting and seeing how things go as she matures.

Has anyone ever experienced a situation like this? Like an itchier-than-normal puppy growing out of it? My gut tells me there's something causing this but from experience I know that diagnosing 'itchiness' is an endless rabbit hole. I am in communication with my vet about this and they are on board with observing her and seeing how she matures.

Here's the stinker with Brae. She's a whopping 33 lbs at 6.5 months 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth mentioning for sure! That's exactly what I'm looking for - anecdotes!
I've been waffling around with trying different foods because Paya is doing SO well stool, coat, and energy-wise on Orijen puppy. But I feed all kinds of proteins via different treats and chews. So I bit the bullet and ordered a puppy food that has different protein just to see.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! You've given me a lot to consider and discuss with my vet. A few things I can rule out -

It's likely not our detergent as we use the dye/fragrant free stuff and have for years before getting her. And she came to us like this.

It's likely not environmental because we got her in Montana winter with everything under a layer of snow.

As luck would have it, in the last 24 hours or so I've noticed a huge increase in itching and scooting. So I'll talk to my vet about something that can provide immediate relief, and I hope the new food arrives soon for us to try that route. If that doesn't work I'll consider an allergy shot and go from there.

You guys rock!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update! I switched Paya to a red meat based food and her itching completely stopped. So I believe it is a food allergy/sensitivity of some kind.

Previous food was Orijen puppy: chicken, turkey, herring, flounder, sardine, pea

Current food is Sport Dog Food puppy: buffalo, pork, cat fish, oat, sweet potato

My ultimate goal, if possible, is to get both Brae and Paya on the same food for convenience sake. But I will keep them on separate foods if they do best on different things. Brae's food is Sport Dog Food K9 Hero: chicken, fish, pork, sorghum, millet. But it's not an ALS food and Paya is 7 months old. So I will probably look for an ALS food that meets known criteria for both dogs and try that with both. It's hard to tell what about Orijen didn't work for Paya. For Brae I know that he doesn't do well we pea-based foods. He doesn't have any allergies but his poop is on the softer end of normal with it.

I have spent HOURS of my life looking at different dog foods. Here I go again :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.