Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Poor girl, though at least it's not too extreme. I think if she doesn't seem to have a sensitive gut, trying a more limited ingredient diet (including treats) isn't a bad idea. Even if it doesn't change anything, you then have some more information - you might not be able to rule out diet-related causes entirely with one attempt, but you at least have a smaller list of ingredients that could be causing it within the trial diet.

Also check what detergents you're using and try to stick to only dye-free, scent-free, hypoallergenic cleaning products for any of her beds or areas she sleeps/hangs out with. I have some sensitivities like this myself, and though it's not as bad as some people have to deal with, it does make me just generally, annoyingly itchy even though I don't break out in a rash wherever the item touched my skin. I know dogs can have similar problems if they're sensitive to skin irritants.

If you can't pinpoint anything specific, there's also dog shampoos specifically for soothing skin, usually formulated with tea tree or oatmeal. I know she doesn't have a coat that would typically need much bathing, but it could be worth trying to see if a bath every month or two with a soothing formula offers her relief. Obviously it's better when you can deal with the source of the problem, but these issues are so complicated that sometimes just treating the symptoms is enough of an improvement.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.