Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
So cute! Beckett was very much like that when we first adopted him at around 7 months of age. I asked the vet about his skin & the scratching, but was told everything looked fine. I chalked it up to the fact that he was (still is, somewhat) a rather anxious dog. Fast forward a few months - one of my other dogs was having digestive problems so I switched his food to a different protein (beef) from the chicken based kibble he was on.
Once I settled on a good food for Charlie I switched the other two dogs onto that food as well. Beckett's itching stopped. Completely. I could now even brush him without his back leg going nuts (that kicking/scratching move they do) Hmmmm. At one point I tried him on a turkey based kibble & the scratching started up again. Note to self - NO poultry for Beckett. He's fine on any other protein source, but scratches a lot (even though his skin looks perfectly normal) on poultry.
May or may not have anything to do with your issues, but figured it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Worth mentioning for sure! That's exactly what I'm looking for - anecdotes!
I've been waffling around with trying different foods because Paya is doing SO well stool, coat, and energy-wise on Orijen puppy. But I feed all kinds of proteins via different treats and chews. So I bit the bullet and ordered a puppy food that has different protein just to see.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Good luck! What I find really interesting is that Beckett can eat 'real' chicken (cooked & chopped up bits as super high value treats, or even a hunk of raw chicken as a snack) with no problematic reaction at all as long as I don't go overboard. It's strictly the poultry based kibble that gets him scratching. (Shrug)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great news! Good luck finding something that will work for both of them - it's always SO much more convenient that way. At one point I had four dogs on three different foods :rolleyes:. It was sort of a p.i.t.a., but you do what you've got to do, right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.