Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was the worst day of my life, We decided to have our family Staffy, "Benson" put to sleep after 11 years.

Over the last few months he had developed chronic diarrhoea, and got to the stage where he could not control it anymore. For 3 months we tried everything from the vets, Antibiotics, Injections, changed his foods as they said he could have a sensitive stomach, through getting old, steroids ect, and it did not help.

He was so fit and healthy until about May when the condition of his coat deteriorated, he became tired and out of breath easily, He lost his spark, went off his food and lost half of his muscle within a 2 month period. The vets done a blood test and it came back, his body was not absorbing vitamins anymore, so they gave his some injections to try to help. On Sunday morning, we woke up and Benson was lying on the hard floor, cold and shivering, he had been throwing up throughout the night. He did not want to go for a walk, so we left him that day just resting to see if he picked up.

Yesterday morning he was still the same, cold and shivering, did not want to go out again. I sat next to him and asked "what's the matter son"? He put his head in my lap and looked straight into my eyes and had a deep breath. He was telling me that he had had enough!

I have never seen that look in his eyes before, and it is one that I will never forget. We called the vet out to the house and decided to put him to sleep. I have never felf so much pain and regret as I am feeling now. I write this with tears rolling down my face and I keep asking myself, did we do the right thing.

We have 2 sons aged 4 and also 19 Months who, used to fun fight with him, His nature was so special towards people and especially children, he loved them.

I did dot think that this would hurt as much as it does right now. I feel destroyed inside.

R.I.P Benson xxxx

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Benson says thank you very much for being a kind/caring owner cause he knows it was a very tough difficult decision. It sounds like you have many good memories which will help you down the road.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. Please take comfort in knowing that as hard as it is to say goodbye, when the time comes that they need to be eased out of their suffering, it is the last and greatest gift we can give those we love. Letting go and believing you've made the right choice is always hard at first, but you did the right thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm very sorry for your loss. Please take comfort in knowing that as hard as it is to say goodbye, when the time comes that they need to be eased out of their suffering, it is the last and greatest gift we can give those we love. Letting go and believing you've made the right choice is always hard at first, but you did the right thing.
Thanks for the kind words,

Benson says thank you very much for being a kind/caring owner cause he knows it was a very tough difficult decision. It sounds like you have many good memories which will help you down the road.
Thanks, Yes we have some fantastic memories of him, I keep expecting him to come running down the stairs everytime I open the front door.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am sorry for your loss but you did the right thing. Benson would thank you for being a responsible and caring parent. It hurts now but time will heal and you will look back on all the wonderful memories you have and be able to smile.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I am very sorry.
My girl has cancer and is going through the same set of symptoms.
A day will come soon when I will have to make the same decision and I know it will feel like ripping my heart out to do so... but I will do so- for her.
It is absolutely the right thing to do when they have had enough- you have to set them free.
I know immediately afterwards I will be questioning myself too. It's part of the process I think.
It was an act of love and completely unselfish.
Godspeed Benson.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. He was tired and wanted peace and no more suffering. You are a very responsible pet owner. Things will grow better with time. We all need time to grieve.

RIP Benson.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Its so hard. But yours was a final act of love at the end of lifetime filled with love, caring and loyalty. And you knew your dog well enough to know what he needed. That is the zenith of human/dog relationships - when you can communicate that well. You did the right thing. You listened to and took care of his needs.

RIP Benson...I know he will be greatly missed and live on in your heart.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You really did do the right thing, for Benson...he asked you to let him go in peace! We went through this same type of situation with our Pug. As she was being put to sleep, she looked into my husband's eyes, kissed him (and she never gave kisses) then laid her head on his shoulder, like a hug. She was relieved, you could tell.

RIP Benson.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes the hardest things in life are the kindest when they're done for the right reasons. I believe you did the best, most kindest thing for your Benson. Be at peace with the fact that you put the dog first. It's not easy. I speak from experience. It takes time.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
So sorry for your loss. You absolutely did the right thing, the kindest thing for Benson. It's not an easy decision, but ultimately, it's the last act of love we do for our animal companions. I know how you feel right now; there will always be a void from your loss, but the grief will subside.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hugs to you and Benson! You made the decision you thought was right, so don't second guess it. You took the hard road..knowing how hard it would be on you and your family...you would hardly of picked the hard road thoughtlessly. I also think dogs like to retain their dignity, just as humans do. I was there three years ago, and still remember the pain and the second guessing. Believe in yourself and know your dog is so thankful that it meant enough to put him at peace, that you so badly hurt yourself in doing it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through such a heartbreaking ordeal right now, you are basically losing a much loved family member. But please do not feel any guilt or doubt! It sounds like you tried to exhaust all your options before making that difficult decision, and to force him to endure more pain just so you can avoid the heartbreak would have been selfish, so you did a very selfless thing for Benson!!!!

Thank you for sharing this intimate moment with us; I wish you and your family the best!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
So Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, because his quality of life was degrading.

I believe that grieving goes much better if after a month or two.... you share the grief and the love by adopting another dog...rather than waiting a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am very sorry.
My girl has cancer and is going through the same set of symptoms.
A day will come soon when I will have to make the same decision and I know it will feel like ripping my heart out to do so... but I will do so- for her.
It is absolutely the right thing to do when they have had enough- you have to set them free.
I know immediately afterwards I will be questioning myself too. It's part of the process I think.
It was an act of love and completely unselfish.
Godspeed Benson.
I always thought that I would be prepared for that day, but when it comes, you realise that nothing can prepare you for it. This is the 3rd day now and I am coming to terms with the decision, I'm sorry to hear that your little dog has Cancer, I think that was what was wrong with Benson, but I did not want to put him through the operation just to be told what we already knew. The hardest thing is deciding when is the right time, its a fine balance, but you will know, She will tell you!

So Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, because his quality of life was degrading.

I believe that grieving goes much better if after a month or two.... you share the grief and the love by adopting another dog...rather than waiting a long time.
Thanks for your reply,

This is a question that has crossed my mind, When the time comes that we are ready to have a new dog, I am torn, weather to adopt or raise from a puppy again, I would be uncertain to bring an established dog into the house when we have 2 small children. You never know what they are like. My kids are already asking for a new dog, but we are nowhere near ready yet.

Thank you all for the kind words, I find it better to talk about things. Even through a computer.

The self guilt is leaving now, He has just left a huge hole in my life.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I believe you did the right thing and Benson told you it was his time to go. Remember all the good times with him, that is what will help you to go on and be more at peace with your decision. Alot of us here, myself included, have been in your shoes and time does ease the hurt a bit.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
This is a question that has crossed my mind, When the time comes that we are ready to have a new dog, I am torn, weather to adopt or raise from a puppy again, I would be uncertain to bring an established dog into the house when we have 2 small children. You never know what they are like. My kids are already asking for a new dog, but we are nowhere near ready yet.

Thank you all for the kind words, I find it better to talk about things. Even through a computer.

The self guilt is leaving now, He has just left a huge hole in my life.

Thank you!
First, you'll know when it's time. When I lost my cat, Audrey, last year I swore I'd never have another pet in my life. That lasted about 6 months, then the lonilness set in. It was time to start searching for an new companion, this time a standard poodle.

As far as adopting an older dog, I'd suggest working with breed-specific or private rescues that foster their dogs in homes. They can tell you about temperament, comfort with children and other animals, and with a breed-specific rescue, they know what to look for in terms of behavior and health issues. At least, this has been our experience.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have read this <sniff...cry...>

My heart and thoughts go out to you and your family. Your sweet Benson is happy, healthy and frolicking once again!

It is amazing the space our pets take up in our hearts and souls. Once that space has been claimed, it's hard to let it stay empty when our furry friends depart. Every one I know who loses a pet (including myself) says, "no more. I can't take it again!" But eventually that empty space starts getting bigger and says "hey! you need to put something here!" =)

Bella's only 5, but I dread the day her time comes. I tell her she is never, ever to leave me....but...if the circle of life goes the direction it should, I know I will one day be without her. <sniff>

Puppy vs. adult is always a tricky decision. There will be lots of good advice here to help in that choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts