Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is a shihtzu/bishon and I thaught they were non shed but when I brush him real good I do get some hair that comes out. Not alot but a little. Is this just dead hair? I know it cant be from having bad food bc he is on Natures Variety. Im not worried about it bc like I said its not alot just wanted to know if it was normal. Thank You

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
You will always get some hair from them when you brush them as their coats keep growing. They certainly do not shed hair all over everything like most long haired breeds but do take a lot of brushing unless you keep them clipped off. Some have easier coats to keep from matting than others. I have two Shih Tzu that I have long coats on and their coats are easy to care for. Remmy, my Shih Tzu x Maltese has a coat that mats fairly easily so I clip him short a couple of times a year. I also, will be competing in Agility with him this year and think it is easier for him with a short coat as he won't get as warm but I always hate cutting his beautiful coat off.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
All dogs shed. But some breeds are double coated and we generally refer to their coats as "fur." Those are the dogs that generally shed the most. Some single coated breeds like the bichon, papillon, poodle have more hair-like coats and shed hairs like humans do, seemingly few when brushed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts