Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a puppy :)

She is a mix of a purebred German Shepherd and a purebred Siberian Husky.

Here's a picture :)

So, few questions.

She chews everything! Way to keep her safe when in gone?

When should I start socialization? She is four months at the moment. I walk her and see other dogs, but no doggy oak yet.

Any other suggestions for her breed?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
She's cute :]

She chews everything! Way to keep her safe when in gone?
Crate train her and have her crated while you are not able to watch her. It is not as cruel as some people think it is, most dogs LOVE their crate. Plus crating can save you a lot of heart ache (and money!)

When should I start socialization? She is four months at the moment. I walk her and see other dogs, but no doggy oak yet.
As soon as she's had all of her puppy shots I"d start socialization. Places with lots of people are good (like restaurants that allow dogs on the patio) and I HIGHLY recommend doggy daycare. Dog parks are doable but if you want to take her to one I'd suggest first reading up on dog body language because some HORRIBLE things can happen at the dog park due to dogs that shouldn't be there and clueless owners.

Any other suggestions for her breed?
Make sure you're keeping her mentally and physically stimulated. A bored dog will find it's own way to entertain itself and you may not like what she comes up with. I'd also suggest joining some GSD and Husky breed specific forums and doing all of the research that you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
D'awww! She's adorable, and a mix of my two favorite breeds! The first thing i noticed about her is how much she looks like i imagine my last dog, Maggie, looked as a puppy (although i believe she was a GSD/Sheltie mix). I bet she looked just like that, and she was a beautiful adult dog. :) She was also super well-behaved, gentle and loved kids, so i can imagine your puppy turning out to be a wonderful girl too.

I'm afraid i have no puppy advice for you though. I just got an 11-month-old Chocolate Lab about a week ago and am facing the new challenges of puppy ownership myself. I've had dogs my entire adult life, but never one so young and untrained, and never one that wasn't fixed yet. She just went into heat and she's being crazy. o_o

So i guess maybe the best advice i can give is to get her spayed as soon as possible. XD
And i expect she will need lots of exercise, being part Husky. I bet she will drag you all over the neighborhood...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Like others have said, crate train, buy lots of chew toys or kongs that you can stuff, raw bones, bully sticks, etc for teething. Teach obedience commands with lots of positive reinforcement and yummy high value treats to keep her mentally engaged and learning good behavoirs, socialize as soon as possible when vaccinations are complete, I would consider obedience training as well, and definitely lots of exercise! Have fun and good luck! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
socialize at her pace, set her up to succeed, don't put her in difficult situations that you don't have control of. so I would advise against patios at busy restaurants until your confident she will do well. The last thing you want is get her there and realize its a terrible idea.

while at home, keep her leashed with you or in a playpen if your not watching her.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Have lots of chew toys, but provide only one or two at a time, and switch every week or so. She may chew everything, so puppy proof the house, and use the crate when you can't supervise. GSD and Huskies need lots of socialization with lots and lots of different people, situations, other dogs, and other animals. A dog park is not for learning socialization, it is for improving social skills after a few months of socialization in controlled situations...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't like crates personally. I think they are overused. But for a dog that chews, when I am gone, I'd limit the space to somewhere safe. Such as a kitchen, foyer, bathroom, hallway or a combination of any of them where nothing is chewable. I only used a crate with one dog (a pup I got at 8 weeks) and only for night time for a few weeks until she was house broken since I lived in a rental with wall to wall carpeting.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I don't like crates personally. I think they are overused. But for a dog that chews, when I am gone, I'd limit the space to somewhere safe. Such as a kitchen, foyer, bathroom, hallway or a combination of any of them where nothing is chewable. I only used a crate with one dog (a pup I got at 8 weeks) and only for night time for a few weeks until she was house broken since I lived in a rental with wall to wall carpeting.
I have typed this a few times and it ends up a bit snarky so I'm sorry but when I read stuff like the above, I thank my lucky stars that if my dogs got loose & picked up by AC, if my dogs had to have surgery and are not able to come home that night, if my dogs need to be secured because of delivery people/repairmen/, I'm thankful that they are crate trained and completely happy in them. As I type this, my brittany is laying in her crate, with a toy she dragged with her.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't think crates are OVERused, but I do think that there are people that MISuse them, just like there are people that misuse any tool. Used properly, they are a huge asset to any dog/dog owner for the reasons InkedMarie listed above and more.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I see more issues in dogs who are not crate trained, than those that are crate trained. Yes, they can be overused, but so can many things! I'd rather see a dog who is comfortable in a crate and confined than one who is rehomed because they ate the wall and destroy the house every time they're left at home alone. Have crate can travel too, it's a handy tool to have.

Socialize, socialize, socialize. Best thing to do is get into classes asap, and start working with her on fun things. Enjoy!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Crate training was a life saver with Opal- literally. She was the type of puppy who was INTO EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. I got to the point with her where she was leashed to me (as in her leash was connected to my belt loop) or crated at all times.

Crating helped with house breaking, her safety, and the safety of my stuff. Plus, she knows it's her "safe place," and willingly goes there to lay down.

At two years old, Opal is still not safe in the house. If left to her own devices, she does the following: counter surfing, opening cabinets, destroying toilet paper all over the house, chewing anything plastic that is within her reach (and you would be shocked what she can reach due to her ingenuity), and whatever else she can possibly imagine to get into.

As for walling her off- yeah right. No baby gate can hold my merle monster. Please. ;-) She either throws herself against them, or just jumps over them. Yeah, my 11 inch at the shoulder high dog can clear four feet easily, so a baby gate is no issue for her.

So, for us, crating is A MUST.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've never had a puppy, but here are things I had trouble with with my old dog that you can prevent because you have a puppy:

Socialize to everything and everyone. That includes people of all races, heights, sizes and disabilities. Muggsy was fine with black people (some dogs are embarrassingly "racist"), but he hated canes, wheelchairs and walkers. Oh, and bicycles.

Teach her to take pills and liquid medicines from you willingly. A sick dog that needs meds and is fighting you tooth and nail is a terrible experience.

Get her to like a car. Muggsy hated car rides and that made going to the vet even worse.

Socialize her to the vet. Muggsy already hated the vet when I got him. Your dog is likely to be his size (90 lbs), and let me tell you, a 90 lb dog going crazy with fear in a small room is not pleasant. (I'm making Muggsy sound awful. He was a wonderful dog, spooky smart and so, so loving. He was great with kids and loved people in general. I really miss him.)

Edited because I forgot to tell you how beautiful your dog is!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts