Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to start dehydrating most all of the treats for my dogs so I purchased this dehydrator:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06300-Dehydro-Electric-Dehydrator/dp/B008H2OELY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440513171&sr=8-2&keywords=dehydrator&pebp=1440513174647&perid=1YHA0RADJACFTFRFY470

I am trying to find a list of foods/fruits/veggies I can dehydrate but I am only finding recipes here and there. Wondering if anyone has found a list like this they use for reference?

The pamplet that came with the dehydrator says you can store at room temperate but wondering if it's better to refrigerate if it would last longer? Also I will be using these for training so will want them small. So when I dehydrate should I be cut them to the size I want for training or will they shrink? Or are they easier to cut to size once dehydrated?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The amount of water in the food matters. The more water removed the smaller the bit is going to be. Something like melon is going to get extremely light weight, but denser food stays closer to the size they are wet. I dehydrated a huge can of pineapple chunks [ maybe 5 pounds?] and the dried fruit fit in a quart baggie!

If you want extremely small training bits try putting a layer of window screen on the trays so bits don't fall through.

I never store home made treats at room temperature, they go in the freezer. I don't want to take the chance they go moldy. They are fine for days but why risk wasting the time and money?

I've dehydrated raw tendons and made liver/sweet potato leather for the dogs in my dehydrator. My previous dogs weren't interested in fruits and veggies and I'd rather use meaty stuff for training treats so haven't made that kind of treat for dogs. I tried dehydrating bananas for us but they turned dark and ugly and turned out to be terrific bunny treats though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts