Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I used to troll around these forums a lot, while I was planning on getting a dog. I was about to get a dog from a breeder or the shelter, however my dad came home with a new puppy. He got it from a friend for free. I was a bit confused, but I plan on taking the challenge and raise this pup right. I read most of the stuff on these boards already, with crate training and basic care. I just wanted to post here to hear some encouraging words and some tips on raising this pup. Anything that will help me out. We dont have a name for this boy either, any suggestions??

sorry about the bad picture quality, its from my phone..

EDIT:

ok after my 1st night with the dog i realized he keeps biting on stuff, even my hands!! how do i stop this??

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is an adorable puppy :) There are some stickies in the training forum that will help you with the biting. They've worked so far for me and my pup. As for names, I've always been terrible with names. Every dog I've owned has already come with a name and I couldn't come up with anything better so it's stayed. However, I have always wanted a Dachshund or Corgi to name Waffle... Weird I know, but it's a suggestion lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your pics are fine. He's adorable I love dachshunds. They make great watchdogs. Get yourself a good book on Dachshunds and read read read. As for a name, hmmmm, How about Rocky? Froddo from Lord of the Rings, Yogi. There are somethings you need to know about them...Dont let your dachshund become overweight. Its not good for them because of there long backs. Dont let him go up and down stairs or jump on or off furniture, there long backs can be injured. When holding a dachshund, make sure you support the back from underneath with your arm. Never let the back dangle that cause stress on the discs and vertebraes. Dont let what I just typed here scare you its very important info you should have and know. Good Luck with your new puppy.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
That shirt is adorable. =)

Puppies bite and chew a lot... give him some nice toys and redirect his energy into biting those instead of you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Name him SLINKY or SLINKIE...however you spell it!! He looks like a little slinkie that would slinkie down the stairs. VERY CUTE!!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
He's so cute. Puppies bite & thank goodness they do........ according to Dr Ian Dunbar. Read the sticky at the top of this forum The Bite Stops Here. And read the others. If you want more about puppy training go to Dr Dunbar's web site
www.dogstardaily.com

·
Registered
861 Posts
congrats on the puppy! he's so cute! he looks very soft.

re: the biting.

it is normal for puppies to bite. most of the time its play biting, but you will want to redirect it onto chew toys and appropriate chew items. be sure to reward him for chewing on good things. i would recommend a puppy kong. you can stuff it with treats and other goodies. it was a lifesaver for me when my pup was teething.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts