Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am still a bit scared of the Raw diet, but I want to feed my new pup raw only. I should be getting a puppy (a Havanese) sometime in July. I am scared of giving bones to a puppy but understand they need lots of Calcium. Is it safe to give them bones, if so, what type (chkn necks, backs?).
And should I feed 3x a day or 2 would be enough? Should I concentrate more on organ/muscle meats? should I start feeding 10% of his/her weight or less?
I found a local company that was mentioned here OMA's PRIDE.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
There is a ton of information in the stickies at the top of the Food Forum. If you want to feed raw (not pre-made) then you need to take the time to reasearch what would be right for your dog. Every dog is an individual and has different needs.

On the other hand there are plenty of pre-made raw diets on the market.

Your choice of exactly what to feed will depend on whether you are making the food or you decide to use pre-made raw food.

Most puppies are fed three times per day until 6 months of age, and then decreased to twice per day.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congrats on getting a dog!! I haven't fed raw long enough to offer any advice, but I am getting a havanese puppy next week and I will be feeding her raw, so I will let you know how it goes. I have been feeding my Poodle raw for several months now (she is almost 9 months old) and I love it! I will never go back to commercial food.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im also getting a new puppy in June. It will be my first dog, so Im also trying to learn as much information on raw feeding as I can. My question is if the breeder is feeding him kibble, do I need to transition into raw feeding, or can I just give him chicken and vegetables right away and stop kibble immediately? I've read it three ways and Im still confused. One book says dogs need the transition or their bellies will hurt, the other says that young dogs don't need a transition phase and posts here say you can't feed kibble and raw bones and meat together because of the digestion rate. What have you tried? and what are the results?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You can switch them cold turkey. Just go slow introducing new meats and just feed one protein source for the first few weeks. I also wouldn't do the veggies - they don't need them. ;)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You can switch from kibble to raw immediately. You need to perform a gradual transition between different brands of kibble, but not from kibble to raw. The point about differing digestion times with kibble and raw meals is a bit of a point of contention right now; so is the dog's need for vegetables. The decision is yours to make, after you do enough reading up.

Personally, I don't believe dogs require vegetables, so I don't feed them; I also err on the side of caution and avoid feeding kibble and raw in the same meal. There is no practical reason for me to feed kibble and raw together anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts