Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always see people asking other forum members what breed they think would be good for their lifestyle. I saw Spicy do it one time and the results were interesting since everyone knows she's an APBT person :D But since I own a mix, I'm wondering what people think would be a "good match" for me in terms of a purebred.

- I'm home alot: Go to college 3-4 days a week, but have long (4+ hrs) breaks in between to come home most of the time.
- Live with parents, 14 y/o sister, 2 y/o mutt, and 10 y/o cat
- Need a SMART dog who enjoys learning, (I love to laugh at my dog doing funny things but I also love that Marge gets her game face on when it's time to train. Need a dog who can play both sides)
- Do not generally like hypoallergenic coats (you know, those "haired" breeds)
- Moderate shedding, short coat preferred, willing to brush out every 1-2 days
- Medium-large size, about 40-60 lbs but I can stretch it either way
- Able to get along with other animals to an appreciable extent
- Moderate physical exercise (I'm not a runner) but with LOTS of short training sessions throughout the day (should be able to train in Agility lightly at least 5x a week - jumps, weaves and contacts in my backyard - hopefully I'll add more soon)
- Does not have to be reliable offleash (a 50' cotton line is fine for me for trips to the beach and park and I have access to that every single day)
- Aloofness with strangers is fine
- Willingness to please is important; not fond of the independent terrier mindset
- and lastly, FOOD MOTIVATION is important!

Think away. :p

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Locke! I like Dobies so that makes sense.

Anyone else have any ideas? If anyone wants to post their own demands for a breed you can do that here too, maybe someone will respond :D

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
2+ on the Dobes, but I also think that any of the herding dogs would fit your bill. Aussies in particular would be a good dog.

And, of course labs and some of the other retrievers. But you'd have to find one with minimal prey drive.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
3 on the Dobes. I love them too! :) They are wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You sound like a herding breed person to me, but then again, I'm biased. ;)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I vote German Shorthaired Pointer!!
Hmm never really considered them. Maybe they're just not my "type" although I do think they're gorgeous.

2+ on the Dobes, but I also think that any of the herding dogs would fit your bill. Aussies in particular would be a good dog.

And, of course labs and some of the other retrievers. But you'd have to find one with minimal prey drive.
3 on the Dobes. I love them too! :) They are wonderful dogs.
Definitely think the Dobe sounds good. Down the line if/when I purchase a purebred they are a breed I will give a ton of consideration to. I don't think there's anything about them I don't like.

You sound like a herding breed person to me, but then again, I'm biased. ;)
:D I do love the herding breeds, but I think many of them are on the high-end of physical exercise for me. Though training in Agility would be so much fun with a herder. I do like BC's, I would just really need to think about if I could give them what they wanted.

Oh yes I remember doing that quite some time ago.

I would suggest a Boxer.
Yeah because of all the threads that seem to be popping up (maybe because summer is beginning?) I instantly thought of that thread and wanted to create my own. Never considered a Boxer.. I know they are athletic but being brachycephalic I don't know how well they'd do on a hot NYC day training for Agility. Probably not too bad, might be unfairly overlooking them.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Hmmmm I should have thought of that. It wouldn't be a good thing. Dobie would probably work better. An American Bulldog could also be a good choice, Scott type. You would get a nice athletic dog from the right source, similar looking to APBT for some so don't know if that would cause problems (like BSL or things like that).

Catahoulas stubbornness and being somewhat independent doesn't seem ideal to me for the quick learning, willing to please type.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i wanna post my requirements too :)

i need a dog that can focus on me, i dont want to have to be trying to give it a reason to do what i want constantly
i prefer larger dogs but would consider anything
medium energy, i expect two 30-45 min walks a day and some running, not too much, fetch and some training daily
must be good with cats, kids, and other people
calmer dogs would be better
i would like to do agility/ rally
must be able to be reliable off leash
must be smart and willing to please

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
If you are in college I would be careful getting any breed that frequents "banned" lists from apartments/communities (bullies, GSDs, Dobes, Rotties, Chows are frequent fliers, as I learned during my search for housing...) unless you know where you are going after graduation and know your future living arrangements.

That said it sounds like one of the "thinking" breeds that needs physical exercise but not really arduous physical exercise would be right for you...I would second the Corgi (you don't see them really in shape very often, but the few I know that are fit and get to think/solve puzzles frequently are really nice dogs, and they are small enough that you'll likely never run into apartment restrictions), and throw in maybe a Collie (smooth :)). The Tollers I've known are pretty high energy but might work as well.

Anyway, just my

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I second Smooth Collie...and if you're serious about agility, maybe even a smooth Border Collie.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
What about a corgi? They're a little on the small side (20-30 lbs), and definite shedders, but they're great with agility and that willingness to learn =3

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are in college I would be careful getting any breed that frequents "banned" lists from apartments/communities (bullies, GSDs, Dobes, Rotties, Chows are frequent fliers, as I learned during my search for housing...) unless you know where you are going after graduation and know your future living arrangements.

That said it sounds like one of the "thinking" breeds that needs physical exercise but not really arduous physical exercise would be right for you...I would second the Corgi (you don't see them really in shape very often, but the few I know that are fit and get to think/solve puzzles frequently are really nice dogs, and they are small enough that you'll likely never run into apartment restrictions), and throw in maybe a Collie (smooth :)). The Tollers I've known are pretty high energy but might work as well.

Anyway, just my
That's definitely what I like. I love to exercise my dog, no doubt, but I know that Marge is relatively low energy. Couple of strolls around the neighborhood a day suit her just fine, with a trip or two to the park thrown in during the week as well. Yet, I wouldn't trade her willingness to learn for anything. She is so smart.

Not too worried about the college thing as I'm a commuter. However I do see your point, because I am young and restrictions could come into play should I marry, rent an apartment, etc.

Oh, and about the Toller.. I was responding to foxthegoldfish :D Not too much into the Retriever breeds (though my boyfriend adores all of them).

I second Smooth Collie...and if you're serious about agility, maybe even a smooth Border Collie.
Not too serious about agility yet, but who knows, maybe in a few years I will be! Smooth Collie does sound pretty good.

What about a corgi? They're a little on the small side (20-30 lbs), and definite shedders, but they're great with agility and that willingness to learn =3
I've always liked Corgis :) I think it could be a possibility, but there are some breeds I'd probably consider before it.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Tollers are very different than other retriever breeds though. Probably the only retriever I'd ever consider. But they're just about as energetic as a border collie.

I do love the herding breeds, but I think many of them are on the high-end of physical exercise for me. Though training in Agility would be so much fun with a herder. I do like BC's, I would just really need to think about if I could give them what they wanted.
I think shelties, corgis, and collies could work. Though shelties will have a lot more coat than you wanted (though your desired grooming regimen would be plenty for them) and be smaller. If you go with a breeder or an adult rescue for a BC, they can always get you the lower key pups in the litter. I think a smooth collie would be the best bet for what you described.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts