Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to get him a crate again like the one he had at home.

I put the pillows he was laying on in the crate so he could have his scent in it and he at first was a little tentative (because the crate was new - i.e. it wasn't what he expected to be there, I'm guessing) but then it's like "oh yeah, this is a crate, I know what to do with this".

So he got in, fed him some treats and praised him. He remembered "bedtime" even though I haven't used that cue since the fire (so 4 months now).

The old routine immediately came into action. He remembered to sit near the crate while I took my coat/shoes off after coming in from the night walk.

He remembered I need to take his collar off and then say "bedtime" so he can get in the crate.

He remembered he wants to lick my hand once as a "good night lick" before going to sleep (never did figure that out...but he does)

He remembered after the "good night lick" he wants the blanket and that I cover him up.

He remembered a step I had forgotten - He likes it when I lightly push his head down on the pillows for some reason. He was looking at me like "what do I need to do so you can put my head down?" It took a bit for me to figure out what he wanted, then I remembered. When I put his head down, he sighed and got relaxed.

All of that just from putting a crate in the room. You'd think it's been there the last 4 months. Just amazing to watch even though I know dogs often prefer and rely on routine to help them understand the world around them. It was also funny that he wasn't all that wary of me carrying it around. Usually big things (or things in general) in the air like that make him wary.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is a very endearing story. Wally has always been one of the memorable dogs from when I first joined this forum. He is a cool dog with a great memory and a super personality from all the things I have read about him doing.

Dogs just never seem to forget or lose their love for their human family. :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
This is a very endearing story. Wally has always been one of the memorable dogs from when I first joined this forum. He is a cool dog with a great memory and a super personality from all the things I have read about him doing.

Dogs just never seem to forget or lose their love for their human family. :)
Geeze, he's not Wally, he's "The Wally"

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL @ wvasko :D

Hopefully, this will be the next to last big change - with the last being going back home.

Still trying to figure out the "good night lick" though. Figures that I can't find anything about it - dang 10th dog again LOL

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
KBLover, I actually wondered what happened to you. You just kinda disappeared, and I found myself frequently wondering about you and White Wall :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Fire?! Yikes. Glad you and The Wally are ok.

It is funny how dogs can fall back into old routines pretty easily. I find a sense of comfort in it, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts