Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

just an update

722 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hanksimon 
#1 ·
well i thought i would update everyone on how Nyx is doing.. well she is going on 11 weeks n she gotten bigger no more baths in the sink for her. She also a bit nipping lately so trying to work on that, would work so much better but my mom lets her and thinks its cute that she grabs the house coat or pants n trys to drag my mom where Nyx wants her to be. I also working on getting her used to different things and loud noise and different scents. Notice that lately she scared of loud noise or acts unsure of certian things. so have to work on that.

ok now for some questions
does anyone know how i can deal with my mom letting Nyx grab clothes and pull, as now Nyx also does this with kids.

Also would it be a good idea to let nyx sit with me to watch the fireworks ??I dont let her run from something that scares her i make her sit and then she is find but not sure if i should wait until she a year or start her now?
and could her being scared or unsure of things be due to not having that much human contact when she was younger? (right now she goes with me almost everywhere n she not scared of ppl, just random object or noise)

and lastly should i be worried about how rough she plays with a 9month old lab pup?

i want to prove to my other half that Rottweilers are great dogs, and that later on in a couple years we can get another one, but right now Nyx isn't showing the Rottweiler great side. he breed profiling which i can understand to a point as he was attack by a rotty. So he is blaming Nyx little issues due to her being a Rottweiler. Dont get me wrong he loves Nyx. Bu i can see him not totally believe me when i talk about China my last rottweiler cross and how great and well behaved she was.

any help would be great will post a few pictures later on sunday

See less See more
#2 ·
Gosh they grow up quickly don't they! :)

For fireworks .... Some say they are too loud for the dogs ears. IMHO to me it is no different than conditioning a hunting dog to a gun. I conditioned Leeo to fireworks by watching them from a distance and giving him treats and keeping him on my lap as a pup.

Now on the other hand his brother littermate Blu Boy was kept in the house because at the time my Mother was still alive and did not want her dog freaked out by them.

The end of this story is that Leeo never had an issue as an adult with fireworks, thunder, loud noises of any sorts.

His brother Blu Boy on the other hand ... is afraid of all loud noises and hides under the bed from anything. I have tried to counter condition him to these things with no avail. I had to give him a calming aid for the first time this year with the first storm we have had ... I thought his heart was going to beat out of his chest and he was shaking something awful. It worries me because he is getting older and I do not want him to join Leeo just yet. :/ If it remains this way I am going to have to ask a vet what to do for him ... the poor guy. :(

#3 ·
1. Nyx may be going through a fear cycle, so I wouldn't flood her (force her) with fireworks, but if you can slowly get her used to them, then you may have the same positive experience as Abbylynn.
2. I recommend that you let Nyx play with the Lab. I consider Rotts, Labs, and Pits to have similar energy levels and pain insensitivity. You will have to watch them, b/c a 9 mos old dog may be a bit much for a 3 mos old dog. On the other hand, I encourage trying to get them together. Be watchful and don't let the Lab scare Nyx. Try not to baby Nyx, but give her an out, if the Lab is too much, and let her 'explore' the Lab at her own rate. On the other hand, a socialized Lab may already understand how to self-handicap to play with pups.
3. As far as when Nxy nips your mom. Get a newspaper and swat her on the nose for allowing it.... Not Nyx :)
If you taught Nyx Bite Inhibition, especially by Yelping or saying Ouch, then you can do that again, when Nyx is nipping others.

#4 ·
hanksimon Nyx n the lab play all the the time as i watch the lab and I try and get together with Kobe(lab)'s brother so that kobe has big pup play time n little pup play time. I just worry about Nyx being alittle to rough at times..
will work on her nipping as i worry about her nipping a kid, as she gets alot older.
I have had a dog that loved to watch the Pretty Lights aka fireworks and a dog that hated the bangs of the fireworks but couldn't stand to be inside while the fireworks were going off if i was outside.

#5 ·
Bite Inhibition is very important, and Rotts easily learn to lip you or 'butt' you with the side of their head, once you get across that teeth can't touch skin.

If Nyx gets too excited during play, you are allowed to do a 30 sec. training time-out, then go back to play. Another way to tone down how rough she is, is to expose her to slightly smaller dogs. Of course a smaller Lab pup is usually safe, but I've seen Rotts self-handicap, roll on their back, to get 'mauled' by a Yorkie...but it takes incremental socialization...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.