Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my 18month old Alaskan Shepherd (german sheperd/alaskan malamute) 4 days ago now. inside/outside dog
his a very friendly happy dog most of the time, however even after his two walks everyday to get his fitness up and back to normal after being at the lost dogs home for god only knows how long his still very tired and slugish.

When i got him he was completely untrained and in the 4 days i have had him i have trained him to sit, lay, shake hands and his beginning to fetch now too so his intelligence is great and plenty of potential for advanced tricks

im just worried about how much he sleeps which is about 20hrs a day. he doesnt really want to play at all untill great effort from myself to motivative him

Is the sluggish additude due to his new environment, i hope he soon changes because im trying my best, i couldnt show him anymore loving attention

p.s i just gave him a worm treatment 3 days ago

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
I adopted my 18month old Alaskan Shepherd (german sheperd/alaskan malamute) 4 days ago now. inside/outside dog
his a very friendly happy dog most of the time, however even after his two walks everyday to get his fitness up and back to normal after being at the lost dogs home for god only knows how long his still very tired and slugish.

When i got him he was completely untrained and in the 4 days i have had him i have trained him to sit, lay, shake hands and his beginning to fetch now too so his intelligence is great and plenty of potential for advanced tricks

im just worried about how much he sleeps which is about 20hrs a day. he doesnt really want to play at all untill great effort from myself to motivative him

Is the sluggish additude due to his new environment, i hope he soon changes because im trying my best, i couldnt show him anymore loving attention

p.s i just gave him a worm treatment 3 days ago
He should probably be seen by a vet just to make sure he's okay, but honestly? Expect 2-4 weeks for him to truly adjust to his environment. Lots of dogs sleep like mad when they're first home - or don't sleep at all, or pace or are just generally out of sorts. He's had a rough go of it. Give him some time.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Has he been to the vet since you got him? Is he at a healthy weight? Fitness takes time to build up, if he's been kenneled for a long time with minimal exercise, he doesn't have good cardio and muscle strength most likely. 4 days of 2 walks per day is a good start but nowhere near enough to build endurance to where it should be for his age.

What is the temperature like? Inside temperature and outside both. The hotter it is, the lazier a dog will be.

Dogs tend to sleep a lot when there is nothing to do but will generally perk up and become energetic when given the option of play or walk or going outside etc. When you say "play" do you mean play with toys, play fetch, play how? Some dogs don't "play" in the sense we think of it but will gladly spend an hour walking or an hour sniffing the yard or whatever strikes their fancy.
With my dog, I could wave toys around and throw balls in the yard right in front of him and the only response I would get would be him looking at me like I'm an idiot and laying down or wandering off to sniff. But if I took out his harness for a walk/jog, he'd start leaping in the air and would go as fast as I let him for the next hour or two (unless it is very hot).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Take him to the vet if you haven't already, but Kabota was like this for 2 weeks after I got him. Some dogs' reaction to stress (and a new home, now matter how much better than the last is stressful) is to shut down. If they shut down far enough, they go to sleep.

Keep walking him, but be sure to work your way up to long walks. I started Kabota at four 5-10 minute walks a day, along with a few stairs several times a day. Now (9 months later) he could go all day and he charges up a whole flight of stairs.

Diet makes a difference, too. After 3 months of grain free, high protein food, Kabota had a lot more muscle, a much richer, softer coat, and 1000% more pep in his step.

Anyway, it's early yet. You have years to come with your dog, so give him the time he needs to settle in and recover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have taken him to be checked over yes. he had a final examination at the lost dogs home before i took him home then i took him to local vet for worm prevention. he has had blood tests and hip/bone, dental, ears, i guess everything was gone over.

i guess you guys are right, im just worried about him because his really grown on me and i want him to be 100% and all in good time im sure he will be.

as for his weight he looks pretty spot on now i have fed him well for past 4 days and his temperament is amazing, his is only ever friendly but latter on today will be a test for him when i take him out to meet my grandparents 3 jack russels. hahaha could be interesting but i dont believe he will instigate a fight he is far too calm. i cant even stir him up with a toy.

and as for playing, yeah im talking about fetch and running around with me in backyard back i think this is due to him not being use to being free to roam around as he pleases in his yard. the kennel has damaged his cardio and happiness but i will fix it all in good time.
gsd's are strong and stubborn so when his ready i guess ill see a change, wont be long i do spend 24/7 with him atm

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Be careful with huskies around small dogs (until you know the dog very well). Even if he doesn't seem toy motivated, he could have prey drive or a kind of misdirected prey drive towards small animals (where even if he is dog friendly, he gets really caught up in chase and forgets that the little dog is still a dog too).

I think if the vet thinks he's healthy and he's eating and drinking well then he just needs time to settle in and to feel relaxed to start playing and running around the yard. Rescue dogs coming from kennels/shelters can easily take 3-4 months total to feel at home and show their complete personality. Usually a few weeks and they are getting used to things and doing better but a few months to be completely at home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
today he was a lot better in some ways, i just cant get through to him that he doesn't make all the decisions, stubborn breeds the gsd/malamute, and its going to be a rough frustrating road ahead.
i do really love his personality when it shows. i just gotta find an emotion in his head which makes him immediately want to play. but so far none of the toys exit him enough to engaged in a decent play session. i got him playin tugga war but his looking at me scared that he shouldnt be fighting against me and stops.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
i just gotta find an emotion in his head which makes him immediately want to play.
He may never want to play. Some dogs just aren't "playful" in the traditional sense. But regardless, it will take TIME for him to relax. You can't let yourself be frustrated because he will feel that and it won't be helpful towards his progress of bonding with you and settling in.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I agree with everything that Shell has suggested:
1. If the temperature is starting to get hot, the dog may not be used to it. He probably loves snow!
2. He may not know your schedule yet... and consistency helps a dog to settle in. It may take a month or two.
3. Try to keep up the tug, so that he gets comfortable with the interaction. You can stop when he wants to, then re-start later in the day.
4. GSDs are very intelligent... and I think he is mainly stressed from the whole adoption uncertainty/activity... I think you'll see a very different, more confident dog in a couple of weeks ... with patience and consistency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts