Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Peg and my husband and I are Golden Retriever lovers. We have had 4. Our oldest just passed away two weeks ago and we had an opportunity to adopt a 7 year old female. She is not leash trained but is doing very well learning. Our biggest problem is getting her to go out to pee and poop. We feel like we are walking for miles and even then she might not do anything. We have a large pen area where all our other dogs went out to relieve themselves. She will only stand there and not (never) do her business there. She will go in the yard on leash but like I said much walking around is needed. For instance, she did poop this morning and pee but it is now 7pm and she has not peed again. Getting worried. Only had her 4 days. I know it takes a lot of adjustment for her to leave her family after 7 years (and 3 litters) to join a pair of retired folks like us. She is not an active dog and we figured she would fit right into our life style. So far, so good, except for the outdoor business which is frustrating the heck out of us. Our 14 year old that just went to the Rainbow Bridge could/would pee/poop on demand. We got her as a puppy at 8 weeks. Help.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I just adopted another dog and it took him a full week to get our routine
i have 4 other dogs i think it is a time thing everytime wipper pees or poops we praise
him
congrats on your new dog my hubby and i always go for the older ones to

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to get another dog while we still had our 14 year old Golden so she could teach the newbie the ropes so to speak. Our Genoa passed away 2 weeks ago (cancer) after being ill for only a week. This new dog is used to running outside, no leash, no pen. This is not working for us or her. We want to keep her but after walking for so long outside and no results and nothing happening in the pen, I fear we are doing her harm by not allowing her to relieve herself. I have been strongly advised by our local rescue group not to let her run loose..she will find the highway (not that far away) and try to 'go home' where she has been for 7 years. Except for this issue, she is a perfect match for us.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
She is probably scared and confused, and also, from her perspective, you're asking her to do something weird and new (relieving herself on leash). Just give her some time. I guarantee this is a dog who wants to please you! She just doesn't understand.

When she does relieve herself on walks, are you praising and rewarding her? You want to communicate to her what the appropriate bathroom time is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the thing that concerns me the most is the length of time between poop and peeing taking place. Most dogs, scared or not, will have to relieve themselves in the morning. She has gone days now. Golden Retriever rescue told us that they have had dogs go 24 hours without urine. We did not get Molly from them although our previous dog was. I have stayed in touch. This dog was advertised on Craigslist and I was contacted by an official from the rescue program to look into it after the passing of our 14 year old Golden. Yesterday morning was just poop. No pee then...it was the night before...way too many hours. We'll be looking at bladder/kidney problems soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have praised her and given her a special treat each time she has gone but I can count on one hand those times. She had never walked on a leash so that is brand new. She is doing pretty well walking on it now. That took 5 days but at least we saw progress each day. With the urine/bowel problem it is getting worse if anything time wise and frequency wise. I would hate to have to give her back to the previous owner. She wanted her out of the house and Molly will be given to someone else if we do that. I am falling for this dog as is hubby. Trying to be patient for her sake...but really worried about her health now.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Are you sure she's not sneaking off somewhere in the house?

Also, maybe you should try a very long leash for now so she can get her privacy? That worked for us. We had similar troubles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first night she pooped in the house (middle of the dining room actually). Nothing since so I'm sure. The problem with the long leash (tried it once) is that she tries to chew it. Would not trust it ...she'd bite through it and be gone. The rescue group is positive she would still want to go 'home'. She does not know that this is her forever home yet. A work in progress. Thinking now that perhaps we are making several mistakes. Previous dogs were puppies when we got them or came from a rescue program and were very well trained for anything. We have been taking her out and walking all around our property hoping she would find the scent from another dog (or maybe from the one time she went out there). Been doing a lot of reading online and think that since we really want her to use the penned area we should stop the walks for that purpose and only put her in the pen and be with her (pen is fenced and about 15'x15') and is only accessed from the basement door. When (optimistic here) she goes we can treat her immediately and praise her. Tried her alone for privacy but she cried too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anybody tried the sprays that are supposed to simulate urine? If I could spray an area in the pen with this to attract her maybe that would work?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd call the vet, honestly. Either she's sneaking off somewhere in the house to pee or she has some sort of blockage. Why risk it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
She peed tonight on leash. I am so happy. I was worried. I guess we just had not found the right spot in the yard for her. Optimistic for her future with us. We travel and she will travel withus like our golden's before her did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts