Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I've found something interesting about dog behavior and would like to see if anyone can explain it to me. I work at a dog dare care center where I interact with anywhere from 15-45 dogs at once. I don't remember how I first noticed this, but if I make a modulating buzzing noise (buzz like a bee while getting softer and louder), the dogs closest to me stop what they're doing and become intensely interested in the noise. If I keep doing it, they start to get really energetic and try to jump all over me, and its not the "play with me" jumping, its oddly different..hard to explain. Try it with your dog, see what happens.

But I guess I'm just curious from a dog psychology point-of-view, why do you think this is?

BTW, this is why I like my job so much, everyday you learn something new!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The curious looks probably mean they want to figure out what that noise is and what it means - the jumping and going crazy means they are either really excited and upset about it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs react strongly to strange sounds. Part of it is curiousity, part prey drive and part play drive. They're not sure which it is or what to do. There's also another element....concern. Many dogs get visibly upset at the sound of a baby crying.
This is one reason that whispering is so effective in competitive obedience...it grabs attention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply tooney. What you said makes perfect sense. They do seem concerned, in a different way than if you whistle or something. That combined with the concern element explains the way they look when I do it, which I guess from the start I should have described as upset. Interesting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts