Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eight month old Bernese mountain dog refuses to jump up into the back of our Rav4. We have to lift his front legs up and then haul his backside up. At 66 pounds, he's getting too big for this. He has no trouble jumping out of the car. We've even tried luring him with treats, but he manages to get them by leaning into the car. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
This is very common. All of my dogs have always been reluctant, or refused, to jump into a car/truck. Use a ramp as the above said, or maybe a sturdy milk crate or something for them to step on. I just help lift them up, the way you described. It's not always easy, especially with my 100 pounder, but it's doable.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If you have someone with you (that your dog likes of course) try getting them to go on the other side of the vehicle with the door open and do a really excited "Come!". Treat tons if they do go in. I'd suggest doing this on times you aren't even going to go anywhere....just practice runs. Caeda will usually hop in and out of our Landcruiser at 6 months now without someone beckoning but we practiced this a bit. The only time it is an issue is if I'm alone and she REALLY doesn't want to go anywhere....having too much fun running around etc.
Might work....just a thought!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I can sympathize - we had to half lift Loki, our Great Dane, into the car before he finally got the hang of it on his own :) What has worked best for us is opening the door for him and then my husband walks around to the other side of the car and gets into the driver's seat, talking to Loki the whole time - it never fails now! Lots of treats and lots of praise also helped :)

That all said - we're still investing in a ramp because I'm not all that comfortable with the jumping up and down on Loki's joints, given we have an SUV now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with those who have mentioned the ramp. Easier on the joints...yours and the dog's! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts