Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old mini poodle. I am hoping to compete in agility with him, and he is proving to be very good at it. I know not to jump him over anything too high until he is older, however, he is jumping on and off my bed, and park benches, and such, and I was wondering if I should try (If I can) to stop him, or if it is something I don't need to worry about, as far as his development goes. My bed is about 3 feet high, and the bench is maybe a bit higher. I don't mind, and he does it all the time, but I realized that maybe it isn't good for his development. I really don't want him to develop joint problems.

Please let me know what you think.

-Draba

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's not the jumping up that's bad, it's the jumping down which is very hard on the joints as they're not fully developed yet. You should try to prevent as much jumping down as possible. I know that's hard with a mini-poodle as I've had several of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. He is less willing to jump down, but he is doing it more and more. I will do my best to stop him. At what age should I stop worrying about it?

Thanks,

-Draba

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's not the jumping up that's bad, it's the jumping down which is very hard on the joints as they're not fully developed yet. You should try to prevent as much jumping down as possible. I know that's hard with a mini-poodle as I've had several of them.
Interesting..I've tried to stop my dog from jumping down, but she just loves to jump. Does it depend on the breed? My dog's bones are much bigger than mini poodle, so they don't look as fragile...should I be worried?

To the OP - Many agility clubs have beginner's classes...they do very low jumps. You can enroll your puppy in those classes. At the dog training school I go to have, "Taste of Agility". It's a two week class to have the dog "check it out". Not all dogs will do agility, and the owners can just test it out to see if they like doing this or whatever. There's more to it than just leading your dog around the course. :)

I'm hoping to enroll in the Puppy Agility Classes this summer. We'll see!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yeah. He is less willing to jump down, but he is doing it more and more. I will do my best to stop him. At what age should I stop worrying about it?

Thanks,

-Draba
The usual age is around 1 year for the muscle and bone development but, that varies by breed size and weight.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Interesting..I've tried to stop my dog from jumping down, but she just loves to jump. Does it depend on the breed? My dog's bones are much bigger than mini poodle, so they don't look as fragile...should I be worried?
It's not just about the possibility of bones breaking... it's also about the impact suffered by the joints. At that age, puppies' bones haven't fully calcified yet, so they're still susceptible to heavy blows. How old is your dog?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. Thanks for the help. I understand about the joints and everything. That's why I'm worried! I'll do my best to stop him from jumping off things.

I'm going to enroll him at the local humane society for a class in agility. However, I am already teaching him the obstacles myself. He absolutely loves the tunnel, and went through while I was still setting it up :D I understand agility very well, and know that I enjoy it, and thankfully, my puppy has a talent for it, and enjoys it as well. We are almost finished with the prerequisite classes. I think the agility class is in an unenclosed area, off leash, so we need to be a little more solid on our recall, although he will basically drop anything and come when called at home and less willingly at the dog park.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts