Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping my friends with their dog. Today we did a little tracking (very little) and then we worked on some obedience.

The two issues worked on were loose leash walking on a flat collar and remaining at the sit when a person walks up.

The loose leash part was more about training the handler to not pull back on the leash. I had the handler change direction before the dog got to the end of the leash. Each time the dog had to "catch up." As the dog went by the handler changed direction again. It wasn't long before the dog was paying attention and the leash stayed slack.
The next exercise was to get the dog to remain sitting when approached. The first issue was the handler was going TO the person instead of sitting the dog and having the person approach.

We started with the approaching person coming toward the handler/sitting dog then backing away. Walking was at a normal pace (no being "creepy"). Approach, get about 10 feet away and then back up. If the dog got up the approaching person stopped. Dog was put back in a sit.. and the approaching person backed up. Rinse/repeat. Dog rewarded for the sit. Approaching person's job was to walk normally and not look at the dog.

A few times and the person could get within handshake distance of the handler, but did not linger. Instead backed away immediately. By session end the person could approach and stand. Even got them taking the leash from the handler and giving it back.

Dog had one job and that job was to sit. If he broke the sit, it was no reward and start over.

While the dog needs to do this in different places to generalize the behavior, both owners learned a lot. They traded places so each got to handle the dog. The approaching person walked around the dog/handler team and stopped in different places.

The dog quickly got the idea that:
1.) Breaking the sit without permission (or a release) was a lot more work and not rewarding.
2.) Remaining in a sit was easier and earned rewards (food).

Handlers learned:
1.) Whoever is working the dog needs to pay 100% attention to the dog.
2.) Whoever is approaching the dog needs to not look directly at the dog but pay enough attention to the dog to know when to retreat so the dog is successfully staying in a sit.

This is a pretty nice dog. He is coming 2. He is not a really confident dog but he is not really scared. Getting out more would help him. He is a quick learner.

The owners struggle more than the dog. Today we ended with "homework" about doing the same in various locations and to work so the dog is successful.

By session end in this location the dog was sitting quietly next to the handler on a loose leash and not jumping on anyone who approached.

The owners had been handling this dog on a prong collar. I have nothing against using these collars when needed but this dog does not need it. Today's work was entirely on a flat, padded limited slip Comfortflex collar.

I call this success.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts